DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

So one of Rice's chief arguments in his appeal is that TMZ cleaned up/edited the elevator tape.  I guess he's hoping Zapruder also had a camera in the elevator too.

Wait WHAT?

From http://gawker.com/the-new-york-times-could-never-have-published-tmz-s-ray-1634831995

However, there’s a rub: The video that’s now been watched millions of times over was heavily edited by TMZ. The raw video of Ray Rice knocking his then-fiancée unconscious is almost unwatchably glitchy. The site decided to delete and interpolate hundreds of individual frames to make Rice and Palmer’s actions more coherent—to make the punch appear as it actually happened.

“This video is a cleaned up version of the raw surveillance elevator video—the raw is jerky ... so we smoothed it out,” TMZ explained in their original post of the video. This is far from “vérité video.” It’s also the version that aired aired 37 times on television.

Not to be 'that guy' but I am shocked of talk from the Vikings 'sources' that AD will never play for the Vikings again.  I am against physical punishment of children of any sort, let alone what AD did, but it seems like after what happened with Rice teams are now going the extreme other way.  All it would take is Peterson apologizing and swearing he learned from this (I realized he hasn't done this yet), agreeing to some counselling, donating some money to a charity and obviously not doing it again and he should be good to go.  I agree he should be suspended and I think he will be, but it seems that things have gone so far the other way that I dunno how this will end.

Therin lies the key issue that everyone has with the players and NFL.  No accountability and tons of hubris.

Not to be 'that guy' but I am shocked of talk from the Vikings 'sources' that AD will never play for the Vikings again.  I am against physical punishment of children of any sort, let alone what AD did, but it seems like after what happened with Rice teams are now going the extreme other way.  All it would take is Peterson apologizing and swearing he learned from this (I realized he hasn't done this yet), agreeing to some counselling, donating some money to a charity and obviously not doing it again and he should be good to go.  I agree he should be suspended and I think he will be, but it seems that things have gone so far the other way that I dunno how this will end.

I think that talk has more to do with the fact that assuming he doesn't just plead out your looking at a year plus before a trail. hes 29 now so your looking at a 30+ year old at a position that doesn't have a great +30 year old track record.

I think that talk has more to do with the fact that assuming he doesn't just plead out your looking at a year plus before a trail. hes 29 now so your looking at a 30+ year old at a position that doesn't have a great +30 year old track record.

Yea I am assuming he is smart enough to plead out, once that comes in he would get his suspension and he should be cleared under regular rules by next year (mid-year at the worst).  And there is no way that AD wouldn't be good enough to be a RB in the NFL next year.  But he would have to get the trial cleared up and do the apologize/counselling thing post haste, the longer it drags out the less likely he will be able to come back.

And no, I don't think a person should be suspended indefinitely for what AD did, nor honestly what Rice did although obviously both deserve suspensions.  Whether a team wants them or not with the PR issues is another matter, obviously I don't think teams should be required to play them or something.  Rice is done in only because of the video, and people have been happy to point out that Hope Solo is still playing even though she has an active domestic case open so its not just an NFL issue.  The worse crime to me is how easy Rice got off in the criminal system, why people are more angry at the NFL than those prosecutors is beyond me.  The NFL is a business that looks at profits, the court system is on paper the place that should be giving the real punishment.

EDIT:  Sorry waldo, I think I edited my post so I didn't double post before you Liked it, so I won't hold ya to liking the entire thing :P

• Like 2

Yea I am assuming he is smart enough to plead out, once that comes in he would get his suspension and he should be cleared under regular rules by next year (mid-year at the worst).  And there is no way that AD wouldn't be good enough to be a RB in the NFL next year.  But he would have to get the trial cleared up and do the apologize/counselling thing post haste, the longer it drags out the less likely he will be able to come back.

Which is why I do not understand why these guys are dragging stuff out.  Plead out, get it behind you, and move on.  The quicker you do that, humble yourself, and get counseling the quicker it gets behind you.

So one of Rice's chief arguments in his appeal is that TMZ cleaned up/edited the elevator tape.  I guess he's hoping Zapruder also had a camera in the elevator too.

Rice should claim it was CGI. Perhaps TMZ hired James Cameron's computer guys.

Y'all are confusing me by saying AD instead if AP. idk idk

I did ask my black, 75 year old grandmother what she thought of these problems. She asked me if any of the players were white; I said nope.

Her response was "that's just some n****a shit."

First time I've heard her curse and use the n-word.

My mom also said AP and that Dwyer are fucked. CPS is still in deep shit. What a statement they are looking to make.. But it goes back to that agrument that shit is only being done because the general public knows about it now. So sad.

And no, I don't think a person should be suspended indefinitely for what AD did, nor honestly what Rice did although obviously both deserve suspensions.  Whether a team wants them or not with the PR issues is another matter, obviously I don't think teams should be required to play them or something.  Rice is done in only because of the video, and people have been happy to point out that Hope Solo is still playing even though she has an active domestic case open so its not just an NFL issue.  The worse crime to me is how easy Rice got off in the criminal system, why people are more angry at the NFL than those prosecutors is beyond me.  The NFL is a business that looks at profits, the court system is on paper the place that should be giving the real punishment.

EDIT:  Sorry waldo, I think I edited my post so I didn't double post before you Liked it, so I won't hold ya to liking the entire thing :P

This is the part of the story that no one is talking about.  They don't have a plan for these punishments, they are just not allowed to play.  There is no timetable for them to return, no due process to determine guilt or innocence, or any real decision making other than the NFL saying, "OH SHIT, WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING."  These guys did something horrible I get it, but at what point are we just piling on just to be piling on?

This is the part of the story that no one is talking about.  They don't have a plan for these punishments, they are just not allowed to play.  There is no timetable for them to return, no due process to determine guilt or innocence, or any real decision making other than the NFL saying, "OH SHIT, WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING."  These guys did something horrible I get it, but at what point are we just piling on just to be piling on?

Yes there is its called the legal system. The problem is in a society that has ADHD and a 24 hour news cylce people don't want to wait for that to work it's self out. And because of that teams and leagues are between rocks and hard places because if the team or league suspends a guy on there own before the legal processes and there found innocent then what? If they wait people act like the leagues/teams are turning a blind eye. 

There's no real disputing what either guy did, though.  It's not like they're just allegations without any proof.  They both admitted to what they're accused of doing.

Exactly. Given the evidence, and admission they could still be found "not guilty" or plead down to a lesser charge, but neither man in innocent. A huge problem is that the NFL does not really have a commish right not. Goodell is damaged goods, he can rally and regain his post, but he is currently in a metaphorical standing eight count, and everything is chaos. . . .

Schefter piles on a little more:

You would have to think at some point somebody here will be in trouble over this. The security guy clearly knew exactly what was going on. Leadership, management, did what it could to conceal and push it through. I think that Ray Rice's track record helped him here, that they cared about him. They wanted to believe that it was an isolated deal but they knew. There were players who were in Las Vegas a week or two after this incident and I know one player said, "You want to see the videotape of what happened?" So there were players who could see the videotape, yet the Ravens, many of the Ravens, claim they couldn't see it.