DVDVR Message Board

TNA NEWS and DISCUSSION THREAD

jaedmc

OK, let's say you're Spike TV President Jim-Bob Spike. Let's say you still have faith in having rasslin on your channel instead of doing what they will probably do and throw on another rerun of a movie they've already aired 600000 times.

So you're gonna keep on SOME kind of wrestling on your network. Not TNA, 'cause it's ran by morons. What would you put on in its place?

ROH has quite a bit of infrastructure already in place, and I think Chikara might gain a cult following given a bit of time. Lucha? Jarrett's company? Billy Corgan's Big-Time Wrestling? What say you?

OK, let's say you're Spike TV President Jim-Bob Spike. Let's say you still have faith in having rasslin on your channel instead of doing what they will probably do and throw on another rerun of a movie they've already aired 600000 times.

So you're gonna keep on SOME kind of wrestling on your network. Not TNA, 'cause it's ran by morons. What would you put on in its place?

ROH has quite a bit of infrastructure already in place, and I think Chikara might gain a cult following given a bit of time. Lucha? Jarrett's company? Billy Corgan's Big-Time Wrestling? What say you?

I mentioned this in the monthly thread but I've had a couple lapsed fan friends ask me about wrestling lately. It seems the product is garnering fringe interest for some reason and its immediately killed by the garbage on Raw so I always say "dude, there's more than just Raw" and we have some Youtube binges once in a while after a football game.

Two friends in particular were massive 90's fans and always talk about Benoit, Eddy, Raven, etc. and now they are knee deep in MMA like its no ones business and I showed them the 2013 G1 Shibata/Ishii match on youtube and these 2 guys loved it. They had to ask if it was fake, they dug the entrances, they liked the tournament idea after I explained it, and once the match started they just dug the crap out of it.

I think the time is now. I think if NJPW signed Team 3D for some name value and maybe one more guy (I was thinking someone along the lines of Morrison, MAYBE Shelton Benjamin, someone with a tiny bit of a name but still athletic as fuck, maybe even a middle name MMA fighter) they could put together a one hour television show and lump it with Bellator and it'd get that same million fan mark TNA gets now if not more. Those million fans TNA gets will watch ANY FUCKIN WRESTLING! They aren't TNA fans, they are wrestling fans.

The show is already produced so the money would be spent on editing. For commentary I'd see what a Jim Ross/Chael Sonnen combo would cost (and that would be your biggest expense) but I think it would catch on with the right audience.

TNA is not an alternative. NJPW would be.

Past that I think Chikara could find an audience marketed as a kids show, say as a lead in to Adult Swim Friday at 8 but not Spike.

NJPW had Team 3D before, even had the Tag belts on them.  Granted, it was during a TNA talent exchange program, and the matches weren't great.  NJPW has Benjamin as a part timer already, Shelley as a full timer, as much as I hate them, the Young Bucks are regulars, and they have Styles who just came off a big run as Champ.  

Their viability in the US will wait until the GFW Bannered airing of Wrestle Kingdom in January.  If that does well, I can see Jarrett pimping that to Spike.

I'm just hoping TNA sticks around long enough to hear this exchange.

Tenay: That's Kathy Griffin from, um...from, um...Tazz help me here.

Tazz: I got nothing.

"...That one episode of Seinfeld from 20 years ago?"

She was on two episodes and a small role in Pulp Fiction.

Am I the only person here who remembers Suddenly Susan?  Or just the only person willing to admit it?

I mentioned this in the monthly thread but I've had a couple lapsed fan friends ask me about wrestling lately. It seems stuffing instead of potatoes is garnering fringe interest for some reason and its immediately killed by the garbage on Raw so I always say "dude, there's more than just Raw" and we have some Youtube binges once in a while after a football game.

Two friends in particular were massive 90's fans and always talk about Benoit, Eddy, Raven, etc. and now they are knee deep in MMA like its no ones business and I showed them the 2013 G1 Shibata/Ishii match on youtube and these 2 guys loved it. They had to ask if it was fake, they dug the entrances, they liked the tournament idea after I explained it, and once the match started they just dug the crap out of it.

I think the time is now. I think if NJPW signed Team 3D for some name value and maybe one more guy (I was thinking someone along the lines of Morrison, MAYBE Shelton Benjamin, someone with a tiny bit of a name but still athletic as fuck, maybe even a middle name MMA fighter) they could put together a one hour television show and lump it with Bellator and it'd get that same million fan mark TNA gets now if not more. Those million fans TNA gets will watch ANY FUCKIN WRESTLING! They aren't TNA fans, they are wrestling fans.

The show is already produced so the money would be spent on editing. For commentary I'd see what a Jim Ross/Chael Sonnen combo would cost (and that would be your biggest expense) but I think it would catch on with the right audience.

TNA is not an alternative. NJPW would be.

Past that I think Chikara could find an audience marketed as a kids show, say as a lead in to Adult Swim Friday at 8 but not Spike.

"maybe even a middle name MMA fighter" just reminds me of how fucking stupid Kimbo Slice was to get into legit MMA instead of Pro Wrestling. That guy coulda been amazing if he hadn't let himself get exposed.

• Like 1

I think the training for MMA and pro wrestling are so different you don't see many older MMA guys crossing over 'cause it would be not only something completely brand new, but tough on them physically. Of course, they could practically overdose on PEDs and no one would give a shit.

Someone tweeted JR about what would have happened if MMA was arpund in the 80s. Hr said something about 2 different products.

But i wonder many people from the mid 80s onward would have picked MMA over pro wrestling? People like:

Dr Death

the Steiners

Austin

Simmons

Etc

Am I the only person here who remembers Suddenly Susan? Or just the only person willing to admit it?

Yes.
I remembered it. I just didn't want to end up posting a list of everything Kathy Griffin has done. She was also the voice of Alice on Dilbert, which is criminally underrated, IMO.

Someone tweeted JR about what would have happened if MMA was arpund in the 80s. Hr said something about 2 different products.

But i wonder many people from the mid 80s onward would have picked MMA over pro wrestling? People like:

Dr Death

the Steiners

Austin

Simmons

Etc

I could see the Steiners since it would have been the most likely path for college wrestling dont know about Austin thou...did he have a wrestling backround?

Am I the only person here who remembers Suddenly Susan? Or just the only person willing to admit it?

Come on y'all! You are taking the fun out of my joke with facts. No fair. :(

I could see the Steiners since it would have been the most likely path for college wrestling dont know about Austin thou...did he have a wrestling backround?

He played football in College. And that quote box went all funny for a bit there.

Now if MMA had existed in the 70s, and college Wrestler Kevin Sullivan had gotten into it instead of Pro-Wrestling, but maintained his Pro-Wrestling persona and interview style...