DVDVR Message Board

WWE Home Video Revisionist History

I mentioned the Sunny bit a few pages back.  Still one of the most undercover sexist things I've ever heard the company say.  Roland nailed it though.  The series is basically meant to train their young fans to believe their version of the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the Ric Flair Definitive Collection DVD. Now I know that Flair got dealt a rather shitty deal in his second go-round in WCW, but if you never watched WCW around this time you'd swear from watching the DVD (or the WWE Beyond The Ring bit on the Network) that they jobbed him out in EVERY SINGLE MATCH that he was booked in. He won a few more World titles, and during that time had classic matches with Vader, Steamboat, Sting, Hogan (the first one at the Bash At The Beach), Savage, Arn, Bret, and he even carried two football players to a good match. Yeah, it was hardly the legendary run he had in JCP, and he did have to deal with dipshits like Bischoff, Russo, Hogan and Nash, but I think it's a stretch to say that his 93-2001 run in WCW was a complete prison sentence.

• Like 1

Yeah it really wasn't until 1999 when they did the "Flair is crazy" and "Flair has a heart attack" angles that it seemed like his booking was horrendous. Even still, as he got older, he started getting hurt a lot. It cost him a good chunk of ring time in 1997 and I think they were skeptical to put him in a featured role by 2000, probably due to age/fear of injury.

• 3 weeks later...

So I haven't had the Internet for over a month now and just got it connected yesterday. I decided to catch up on WWE programming, including the Monday Night War series. I started watching the episode about the cruiserweights....and I just couldn't do it. Not without a fucking stiff drink and an ounce of blueberry kush anyway. In the first 5 minutes the bullshit is overwhelming! They were talking about how the WWF back in the days was loaded with big, giant hosses, even up to the Monday Night Wars. I had to kinda push Bret, HBK and others to the backburner in my mind for a bit, but that was fine. But then they show WCW, and the first guys they show are Vader, Rick Rude, Hogan and the Giant, and ONCE A-FUCKING-GAIN they beat you over the head with "WCW had to copy the WWF just to be second place". Like let's just pretend that guys like Flair, Steamboat, Pillman, Austin, Sting, Muta and others didn't have high profile spots in the NWA/WCW before the Hogan/Bischoff regime. But again as I said in my initial post, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Yeah it really wasn't until 1999 when they did the "Flair is crazy" and "Flair has a heart attack" angles that it seemed like his booking was horrendous. Even still, as he got older, he started getting hurt a lot. It cost him a good chunk of ring time in 1997 and I think they were skeptical to put him in a featured role by 2000, probably due to age/fear of injury.

There was also the LLT feud w Hogan and getting pinned while dressed as a woman.

Seriously. Say what you want about WWE, but you do NOT disrespect Keith David!

Ever seen Dead Presidents? Yeah, you don't fuck with Keith David :D

"If y'all don't shut the fuck up, I'm a shoot me a muthafucka and then we gone be splittin this thing four ways, hear?"

• Like 1

I can't tell if the person in charge of that Monday Night Wars series was never a wrestling fan and just accepted the party line as canon when writing this, or it was some carny as heck mothertrucker who either just didn't give a fudge when presented with all that footage or decided to produce what would make Mr. McMahon happy. To film this with straight faced narration without even the benefit of a talking head puppets-of-the-regime (Hayes, Graham, HHH, Hogan, et al), where you could read it as opinion and break out the salt shaker, is some baldfaced big cojones stuff. ESPECIALLY considered that PPVs from the era are running concurently on the same Network, casting doubt on the facts, let alone the conclusions, you are dropping.

sheesh,

RAF (gave up after episode 2)

I can't tell if the person in charge of that Monday Night Wars series was never a wrestling fan and just accepted the party line as canon when writing this, or it was some carny as heck mothertrucker who either just didn't give a fudge when presented with all that footage or decided to produce what would make Mr. McMahon happy. To film this with straight faced narration without even the benefit of a talking head puppets-of-the-regime (Hayes, Graham, HHH, Hogan, et al), where you could read it as opinion and break out the salt shaker, is some baldfaced big cojones stuff. ESPECIALLY considered that PPVs from the era are running concurently on the same Network, casting doubt on the facts, let alone the conclusions, you are dropping.

sheesh,

RAF (gave up after episode 2)

this is what i'm going with. i've always heard that WWE doesn't like to hire wrestling fans. since, you know, they're in the entertainment business.

This is WWE, did anyone expect anything less?  I mean, they make Dusty Rhodes look like a competent booker when he really wasn't.

I had to give up on the Monday Night Wars.  A lot of that stuff didn't happen the way WWE says it was.  Like everyone else in this thread has said, it's basically a WWE-version of what happened.

• Like 1

Re: Dean Malenko.

On commentary, Heenan seemed to be a huge fan of Malenko's. It sounds like he is legitimately engaged by Malenko's matches, and not just being one of the best in the business at making something/someone sound important. Also, during the buildup to the WW3 PPV, every time the announcers discuss it, Heenan consistently states that Malenko is his choice to win it. Was Heenan just a big fan of Malenko's work, did he have some sort of history with him, both?

And you guys have really changed how I felt about the Monday Night Wars. I've enjoyed it so far, but haven't watched any episode with 100% of my attention, as I am usually doing ten other things while it's being played as background noise. When the new episode comes out, I am definitely giving it my undivided attention so I can look/listen for these inaccuracies and/or revisionist takes on what happened.

I think Heenan just really dug that style of wrestling.  He was definitely into Malenko, but he seemed to really like Regal and Benoit too.  He would rag on Eddie alot in character, but also seemed to give him a ton of respect for his wrestling.  Maybe he knew the booking was so shitty most of the time and just enjoyed the workers?  I'm trying to think of anyone in the WWF that he was that way with, outside of his stable of guys.