DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Of the three, I feel like Rollins is the most "done" as a character, Ambrose needs actual gear, and Reigns needs some character work.

Ambrose needs some character work too, but hopefully that'll come after the Rollins feud finishes.  Reigns is just super nebulous as a character.

Ambrose is the lone-wolf crazy guy who gets beaten to a pulp, but keeps coming back for more. He's Austin-lite.

What they really need to do is have Rollins use the full power of the Authority against him. Ambrose having to be taken down by five guys at once and still trying to get at Rollins with his last conscious breath for the next few months will work. When the Rollins feud is over, make Kane useful by having Ambrose try to take him out for a few months, going one-on-three, four, five, etc. with regularity. Just like Austin fighting the whole Hart Foundation. 

Reigns should have gotten the Goldberg treatment. Quick squashes on TV to keep him over and in the limelight, working longer, competitive matches on the house show loop with a veteran (Christian would've been perfect for this, or a heel Goldust). Then, after some seasoning, he gets the monster spot at the Rumble and takes the belt in the main event at Mania 31. I can't believe they didn't go this route.

The Roster is too thin to do that today.WCW had like 200 different wrestlers on their shows. He would face the same people all the time.That's how they try push the bigger guys too. They brought in some enhancement talent to do that with Ryback and to stretch it out a bit but beating R-Truth is meaningless and beating Cena is impossible.And there isn't much inbetween.

Where the hell did the name "kip-up" come from?

I just realized after 21 years of watching wrestling that it's actually not called a "kick-up". But why kip-up? The definition of "kip" is: a set or bundle of hides from young or small animals.

Da fuk?

I just realized after 21 years of watching wrestling that it's actually not called a "kick-up". But why kip-up? The definition of "kip" is: a set or bundle of hides from young or small animals.

Da fuk?

I've often wondered that myself.  To further confuse things, I've also heard people refer to it as a "nip-up."

Da fuk?

I've often wondered that myself.  To further confuse things, I've also heard people refer to it as a "nip-up."

You only do a "nip-up" if this is the last thing you saw before doing it:

Dean_Ambrose_the_shield_wwe_36926195_642

• Like 2

I really can't top that Ambrose photo. 

Re: Orton. I get that his level of energy varies but that's kind of why I dig him and, also, I think a lot of it is by design. He strikes me as the type of the guy that when a crowd starts getting on him for being methodical, he cranks it down even more just to be a dick.  He's a smart wrestler who can probably wrestle to he's 60 doing that style. And then when he does turn it on, he does goofy shit like take flat back bumps on TV monitors or strikes a over the top goofy pose after nailing some dude with his finish (like on Monday).

I guess I just find his dickishness appealing. He's really in the wrong era. His style and demeanor would have been great in the 70s.

Completely off-topic: CJ Parker currently has my favorite theme in American wrestling (behind like every NJPW theme, basically). 

• Like 2

My retirement came when twelve-year-old me took a bad pedigree. The carpeted floor shredded my face. I couldn't bare to make eye contact with anyone for about a week.

When I was a kid, I remember "inventing" the Fisherman's DDT so I got my cousin in the headlock, hooked his leg and just spiked him on the floor. After he recovered, I let him superkick me in the face and it staggered me back into a cabinet that I promptly broke. Our wrestling was like a Concession Stand Brawl, complete with magazines used as chair shots and baking trays used as weapons when we got into the kitchen. You had to pay your dues to get into our House Wrestling Federation. It was like ECW but without the hardcore narcotics to numb the pain of jumping down stairs.

I invented the Jackhammer about 12 years before Goldberg was a thing. My pillow took that move more times than Jerry Flynn.

I really can He's a smart wrestler who can probably wrestle to he's 60 doing that style. And then when he does turn it on, he does goofy shit like take flat back bumps on TV monitors or strikes a over the top goofy pose after nailing some dude with his finish (like on Monday).

I guess I just find his dickishness appealing. He's really in the wrong era. His style and demeanor would have been great in the 70s.

That's just the thing with Orton: I do think he is in the wrong era. If we were to have been around Mid-South in the 80s, he could have made a shit ton of money feuding with JYD because the dickishness is there.

The only thing about Randy Orton being a 70s wrestler would be that he would have been in NWA World Title matches with Dory Funk Jr., who, depending on your viewing preferences, your mileage may vary. Dory has a reputation of being somewhat of a dry, boring worker. i haven't seen enough of Dory to see if it's true or not for myself, but I am curious if Randy Orton would be getting Dory Funk Jr comparisons.

This is the only wrestling forum I check in on, but I can't remember anyone here except for FSW ever shitting on Ambrose or turning on him in favor of Reigns.

The Shield debuted with Ambrose as the clear leader. Then Reigns started getting bigger pops so they put him in charge. Rollins was treated like the odd man out up until the big turn.

Ambrose's promos and character have also gotten 1000x better since he debuted. I always liked the guy, but the Ledger Joker stuff he was doing at first could get embarrassing.

Also, to beat a dead horse, yes, Orton is a technically sound pro wrestler when he has to be, but his mannerisms in the ring are as cheesy and fake as it gets. All the slinking around and shit just kills every single match. Except with Bryan, where he was forced to work full stop and not creep around the ring like some greasy apex rapist.

Also, to beat a dead horse, yes, Orton is a technically sound pro wrestler when he has to be, but his mannerisms in the ring are as cheesy and fake as it gets. All the slinking around and shit just kills every single match.

But (as Vince will make damn sure you never ever forget for as long as you breathe) he's THE VIPER. 

And no, not this Viper:

ARAH_29_Viper.jpg

• Like 5

Orton basically sacrificed his career for Daniel Bryan. Before that feud he was always over. He was really selfless in putting Bryan over for six months. 

I think a lot of guys at Orton's level would have started vetoing putting him over. 

In hindsight, the Bryan mega push is one of the worst decisions WWE ever made. They bet everything on him and his neck was paper mache. Now the booking is pretty much fucked and we are stuck with a Reigns super push. 

Not that it is anybodies fault. But it seems someone should have realized a guy working that style was not long for this world as an active wrestler. 

• Like 2

I wonder if Bryan's neck would have held up had they told him around Summerslam last year to stop doing the diving headbutt, or if he was just past the point of no return even then?

Orton basically sacrificed his career for Daniel Bryan. Before that feud he was always over. 

Um, no.

I wonder if Bryan's neck would have held up had they told him around Summerslam last year to stop doing the diving headbutt, or if he was just past the point of no return even then?

From what I've heard, the diving headbutt isn't even what caused his problems. It was his top rope dropkick/kip-up spot.

Judas Wept, are we honest to god *turning* on Bryan for his push and/or being injured?? Because I've been around this place for quite a few years, and some of the language here ... that's how it starts.

• Like 6

I thought Hero looked fine in NXT. I didn't think his physique was worth firing him over at any rate.

I hope they give Steen a foul-mouthed Baby gimmick that cannon balls onto his victims in the corner. It'll get over too.

He

was

not

fired

for

his

weight

How many times does this need to be explained on here? He was in the best shape of his life when he was released.