DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Guest meowput

I wouldn't really put too much blame on either individual. It's really booking's fault more than anything else. Reigns had the star-in-the-making vibe in the Shield because he was a cool looking heel with a cool moveset. He was very effective when he was being a bully and shit talking everyone ("MOVE FOOLS DIS MY TABLE NOW" and "GIT THEIR ASSES OUT"). That's what made him cooler (to me anyway) than Ambrose and Rollins.

These days, he's being forced to play a character that seems to be unnatural to him. When it comes to his promos, he can deliver his lines well enough... but his lines are vanilla babyface boring. I think people enjoyed the pre-WM30 Reigns character, and it's what should have explored.

Orton (and Kane with his multiple character changes) are just boring, and completely filler material for me.

Watched the WM match of Show vs Mayweather with my sister who didn't watch as a kid wrestling because we had one of those brothers that would walk into the room and try to put a Boston crab on you from out of no where... She kicked his ass so many times as a kid...

Any who, if there is one match to watch with a non fan, it's totally this match. She thought Show broke Floyd's back when he stepped on him. Wanted Show to knock all of those assholes out like a bowling ball. She even called Floyd a little piece of shit when he won and had to go have a cigarette.

• Like 1

Reigns isn't interesting enough to feud with Orton, but I'm pretty sure that Bryan is the only guy who ever was. Orton sucks the life right out of everything. I guess he does some things technically sound, but he's complete garbage in the ring for all the reasons Skelemania said and his mic work should be on one of those nature sound comps that put you to sleep or help you meditate at the end of a yoga session. And he's got that Ed Hardy/War Machine/generic douche bag thing going on that makes even the proudest of us rasslin fans, those of us who will say horrible things like, "yeah, Dixie shouldn't have gone through the table, but I guess I get it..." at a loss to explain to friends and family why we're watching this.

Not that Reigns is all that great. Character has miles to go, work is mediocre, ring gear is jobber trash and the finisher is overused and kinda shitty. But he's not nearly as awful as he looks in this feud.

• Like 1

When it comes to his promos, he can deliver his lines well enough... but his lines are vanilla babyface boring. I think people enjoyed the pre-WM30 Reigns character, and it's what should have explored.

Gotta disagree there, the exact problem is that he can't. Why they told him to go with a "street" voice is beyond me, it sounds forced and un-natural. Several times during his push I've said to the TV, "He really shouldn't be talking."

Guest meowput

I do think theres a tendency to judge the promo in a vacuum. He's been consistently improving up till Monday, and I don't think it was bad per se. He didn't flub his lines, miss any cues or speak too softly or quickly (like he used to do). The delivery was just okay, and not something to halt the push over. I think it's obvious he needs more work but the crowd does give him good reactions on an "as is basis". If all else fails, he can be thrown a manager. it works for Brock. In any case, he's handsome, sufficiently ripped, and has a few moves that actually command attention (complete with theatrics). Its a great recipe for a WWE poster boy.

I don't get the hate for his attire. He's a shoo in for an expendables sequel and the most intelligently dressed man on the roster.

• Like 1

Agreed. How many times can we talk about Reigns wearing a different shirt? This isn't like when Felicity cut her hair.

Reigns has the look, the intensity and the signature spots. It's no wonder the office is behind him. But while that's all you need to be in a tag team where you can be protected by the worker bees and voices of the group, it's just not enough when you're out on your own. 

He needs more seasoning in singles matches. Right now, he's not much more than a rich man's Bryan Clark.

• Like 1

It is becoming obvious why those three were brought in as a team. By themselves they do not have it. 

Rollins might as a face, but as a heel he is lacking. 

Ambrose is the only one who really has it right now. He plays a very good unhinged psycho. 

They should team up Rollins and Reigns as a 21st century Michaels and Diesel. 

• Like 1

Guest meowput

I never understood why WWE broke the Shield up when it could have taken a DX/NWO route with it for at least another year. The breakup really should have gotten so much more buildup. Shield was easily the freshest (looking) thing on the roster and keeping them together would have been way less predictable. Instead, the Ambrose/Reigns hostility was never explicitly addressed. Rollins loss of faith in the team was never explored. The three guys could have played the exact same roles that they are playing now but with the Shield spotlight on them.

• Like 1

I love how when they take their time with an angle, people tend to talk about how they are missing their chance, and when they are relatively speedy, they should have milked it more :)

(looking back, I could have gotten so much more mileage out of this post - I really jumped the gun by restricting it to one sentence, although three commas was complete overkill.. the pacing is just wishy-washy & without clear direction, and my sarcastic tone doesn't help my case at all)

• Like 3

I don't quite understand the love for the Shield or the Wyatt Family,  I don't really dislike any of them, but none of the acts make me want to tune in to RAW or watch a PPV to see more of them.  I liked Tyler Black and Brodie Lee well enough in the indys and Jon Moxley was great as a psycho dirtbag heel (for that matter, Dean Ambrose was great in NXT ,particularly when he worked with Regal).  But all of them have limitations that don't make the act work as well on big stage.  I kinda like Seth Rollins heel act right now, but I don't think they can sustain it.  I kinda think he'll be Cesaro/Rybaxel level in eight months.   Mostly, they all strike me as typical midcarders that are going to have a hard time getting pushed to the uppercard after the excitement wears off (see: Cesaro, Ryback, Fandango, Kofi, Miz, etc.)

Also, add me to the "Roman Reigns changed his gear?" club.  His push isn't going to fail because he's wearing a slightly less cool version of fake SWAT gear,

Watching Bray Wyatt makes me wish Kevin Sullivan had come along 30 years later.  Even with the restrictions of the PG era, I'd prefer to see him run with the gimmick.

I grew up (and still live) in a tiny little farm town so the amount of wrestling fans/friends I had was prety slim and the type that would do the backyard thing was even more slim. So, we had a league of 5-7 of us that had to work multiple roles. This was the 80's and we were all NWA/Crockett fans so I tended to be the eternal challenger to our Ric Flair. I'd be Harley Race one day, Barry Windham another. I'm pretty sure I was a Road Warrior from time to time. I ended up with a sprained neck after a VERY high angle backdrop on a trampoline and I still have problems with my lower back after bumping flat on my ass and compressing something. Yeah, I was responsible for more five star matches than ANYONE else in Filer, Idaho before or since.

My problem with the Shield break up is why does Dean care so much about Seth screwing them over, and why does Roman care so little?  And it isn't the fact that Reigns has terrible gear that will be the deciding factor, but it's gonna hurt him.  It is really that he is not good in the ring and pretty bad on promos that is really going to kill him dead.  I still can't believe people actually wanted to put the title on him.  

I would've had Rollins and Roman kick out Ambrose and join with The Authority. Rollins is a douche with a bad dye-job and chest hair, he can be a good heel. Reigns should've remained as his Diesel. 

Could you imagine the pop in a year when Reigns finally got fed up with Rollins and speared him out of his shoes?

• Like 1