DVDVR Message Board

TMZ report that TNA Wrestling is cancelled.

I mean, back when they had Sting, Kurt Angle, Bully Ray, Jeff Hardy and Hulk Hogan they had some recognizable names to wrestling fans. Now they may be losing the last few names that still have value. It's be easy to get a tv deal if they had some bonafide stars. They instead wasted doing anything with the names they had and now have a roster that they neutered through booking them as below the big names. I feel like WWE will end Lesnar's reign with someone they want to make look huge. I know TNA will end Lashley's reign with someone WWE once had. They would have Del Rio as champion right now if they could and not use him as anything more than "former WWE STAR"! Eric Young only got the belt because he slightly resembled Daniel Bryan, not because he had worked hard for the company for years.

It's like how every BFG except 2013 ended with a former WWE or WCW guy winning the TNA title, never someone new's ascension. Such a joke, it just makes me angry to reflect on this company. I just almost want Spike to axe them because they never learn and I trick myself into believing they will turn things around each and every time.

If TNA is alive and kicking in 2015, perhaps 2014 (and the last 12 years as a whole) will be the big wake up. TNA has suck a stink on it that NO ONE will come back. Sting, Hogan, Flair, Foley, Booker T, Nash, and RVD will never return. Once Angle and Team 3D are gone, I doubt they will ever return. Dec 2014 should be the time TNA reflects and says 'Wow! We had EVERYONE! And none of it mattered."

• Like 1

TNA should do the Newhart ending. Mike Tenay wakes up in bed from a nightmare and Tony Schivaone is next to him and Mike talks about how he seemingly relived the last five years of WCW. Except it lasted way longer and there was a midget in a trashcan. Tony looks at him and tells him it was just a nightmare...but we're out of time so he'll see him in the morning.

• Like 6

I mean, back when they had Sting, Kurt Angle, Bully Ray, Jeff Hardy and Hulk Hogan they had some recognizable names to wrestling fans. Now they may be losing the last few names that still have value. It's be easy to get a tv deal if they had some bonafide stars. They instead wasted doing anything with the names they had and now have a roster that they neutered through booking them as below the big names. I feel like WWE will end Lesnar's reign with someone they want to make look huge. I know TNA will end Lashley's reign with someone WWE once had. They would have Del Rio as champion right now if they could and not use him as anything more than "former WWE STAR"! Eric Young only got the belt because he slightly resembled Daniel Bryan, not because he had worked hard for the company for years.

It's like how every BFG except 2013 ended with a former WWE or WCW guy winning the TNA title, never someone new's ascension. Such a joke, it just makes me angry to reflect on this company. I just almost want Spike to axe them because they never learn and I trick myself into believing they will turn things around each and every time.

Yeah but it's not like having all those recognizable names helped them draw in a huge fan base. Hell go back before Hogan: PPVs with Nash, Sting, Angle, Booker T, Scott Steiner, Christian, etc were still only doing a small number of buys

I figured it'd be easier going to another network with some veteran names if they could even find another network but all they ever did with veterans was let them be lazy and dominate the show.

To be fair, lots of vets tried hard in TNA when they were being used. Nash, Sting and Steiner come to mind. There were some golden moments from that lot. RVD and Booker T phoned it in mostly. Then there was some shit post Hogan. Even then though, its worth noting that Sting / Hogan match.

Noting what about the Sting Hogan match? That it was rubbish?

Thinking about it, if we drew up a list of the top five TNA moments involving Scott Steiner, and then a list of the top five TNA moments not involving Scott Steiner, and you asked me which list was better... I'd pick the Steiner list. If you erased MVP from TNA history and instead had Scott Steiner do everything MVP did, this would have been their best year ever.

• Like 1

Meltzer said still having Hogan around might have helped them in negotiations for a new TV deal because he's a big name that the mainstream (tv execs and advertisers) still recognize.

I could only imagine what Meltzer would have said had they spent the money required to keep Hogan.

TNA could just put together a sizzle reel featuring most of the top stars of the past 30 years that have worked for them.  You don't actually need those guys under current contracts to hustle to executives.

When they first signed Hogan, they'd send him out to meet with execs and he'd just ramble incoherently for 20 minutes just trying to explain what the acronym 'TNA' stood for.

They still have Jeff Hardy signed for like 1 or 2 more years.  Big name, under 40, moves merch.  There's a couple of other guys under 40 whose contracts are coming up that I'd be more concerned with re-signing than either Angle or Team 3D.

I could see Angle hooking up with Jarrett's GFW apparel company and doing some shots with NJPW.  Everyone likes Devon but Bully's screwed; some top guys in WWE hate him and the Japanese promotions surely remember how much of a bitch he was about ever losing there.

• Like 1

Noting what about the Sting Hogan match? That it was rubbish?

Hogan / Andre was rubbish too. Does that make it not note worthy? No.

Hogan / Sting in TNA was one of the only times the promotion truly felt like a big deal.

• Like 1

For once in his life, Sting had someone turn TO him in stead of ON him.

Koloff was already face at Wargames 92, there was just a long standing trust issue stemming from Luger being a dick.

Yeah, plenty of build for the Hogan turn.  Sting fed him vitamins.

Jump ahead 7 minutes or so unless you want to endure Ken Anderson.  Had forgotten they made him World Champion.  Twice.

I have no clue regarding the validity of this, but it's being reported that TNA's gotten an offer from some channel called Velocity, for a whopping 25% of what they were getting from Spike.  This channel, which I've never even heard of, is HD only and is in 48 million homes.

Master negotiator, indeed.

I have no clue regarding the validity of this, but it's being reported that TNA's gotten an offer from some channel called Velocity, for a whopping 25% of what they were getting from Spike.  This channel, which I've never even heard of, is HD only and is in 48 million homes.

Master negotiator, indeed.

Velocity is essentially Discovery Channel 4 or something.  All car programming.