Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.


Cristobal
 Share

Recommended Posts

Took 2+ years, but one of the members of the household finally caught COVID. My older brother just gave my dad a rapid test after he felt under the weather the past day or two. Tested positive though the symptoms are mild. Luckily we are all fully vaccinated and boosted so hopefully it doesn't become anything serious for him. Still need get myself and my brother tested.

  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Christ. Laptop probably finally dead now. Can somebody PM me the Discord password? I'm not sure if that's even something worth trying to look at on a phone, but hey.

There are really so few things I want to look at on a screen this small, and I'm tied to my keyboard. Fuck.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2022 at 1:48 AM, JLSigman said:

Whoo, what's shaking?

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/se60400941/executive

This one was quite a bit more intense, shook the bed pretty good and a long loud rumbling noise.

And another one, just half an hour ago. 3.3 this time, from the same place.

Could we, maybe, I dunno, NOT DO THIS? Just a thought.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

And another one, just half an hour ago. 3.3 this time, from the same place.

Could we, maybe, I dunno, NOT DO THIS? Just a thought.

That one ended up being a 3.5, and we just had another that's a 3.6.

For most of my life I lived in places where we never felt them. I could go back to that really easily now...

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2022 at 10:37 PM, Eivion said:

Took 2+ years, but one of the members of the household finally caught COVID. My older brother just gave my dad a rapid test after he felt under the weather the past day or two. Tested positive though the symptoms are mild. Luckily we are all fully vaccinated and boosted so hopefully it doesn't become anything serious for him. Still need get myself and my brother tested.

Best wishes, @Eivion xxx.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:48 AM, JLSigman said:

Whoo, what's shaking?

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/se60400941/executive

This one was quite a bit more intense, shook the bed pretty good and a long loud rumbling noise.

 

19 hours ago, JLSigman said:

And another one, just half an hour ago. 3.3 this time, from the same place.

Could we, maybe, I dunno, NOT DO THIS? Just a thought.

 

14 hours ago, JLSigman said:

That one ended up being a 3.5, and we just had another that's a 3.6.

For most of my life I lived in places where we never felt them. I could go back to that really easily now...

@JLSigman: Virtual hugs hun xxx.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, a technical question. My dad has a device that can access a hard drive from another laptop and we took my old one out and plugged it in to his computer, giving access at least to some of the downloaded files I had, but I can't find my WordPad documents which include basically all the passwords I had, along with lyrics, writing, etc. I tried and cannot access them at all. Are they completely lost now? 

Of course my dumb ass didn't think to just copy and paste them into an e-mail and send it to myself. GAH...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Define "cannot access them at all". Are they not in the folder at all? Or do they just not open when you try to access them? If the latter, what happens when you open them? 

Why did you not copy them to another drive when you had the chance? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

They were saved, accessed, and now copied. I wasn't patient enough to watch the "Curt" file scrolling endlessly for an hour, which was the problem. And I did try to copy everything but I only got through all the music and most of the video; I tried the writings but couldn't figure it out at the time which is entirely on me being stupid. Anyway, I got everything back now YAAAAY! (Just not the favorites list. But that's the least of the worries I had.)

Now I just have to replace the office chair I sit in which broke right in the middle of fucking Blood and Guts last night. I just can't win.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@The Natural@J.T.@JLSigman@Technico SupportThank you for the well wishes and concern.

So we got in the tests my brother ordered last Saturday. Father still has it and unsurprisingly my brother and myself tested positive as well. Hasn't been too bad though so far. Our temps were up a bit initially, but nothing too high after a couple of days and aspirin. So far the worst thing seems to be our sinus/allergies acting up. No idea if that is from Covid or just the weather and season in general. My brother in particular has just always had shitty allergies so its mostly been the norm for him. I actually felt worst from this type of stuff last year and didn't have covid so its not so bad in the end, just annoying. I just hope we test negative next in time for Thor next weekend.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Wife and I got ourselves invited to dinner with my eighty-year-old mom last night so we could meet guy Mom was having dinner with.  Mom went to school (70 years ago) with a kid who grew up to be a rather hedonistic plastic surgeon.  Mom only sees the guy once every several years or so, but seems mostly charmed by him, which is odd to her kids since Mom is mostly a strict no-nonsense seven-days-a-week Catholic matriarch and the guy is a free spirit who set up house several decades ago with his wife and mistress and the three have some sort of odd public polyamorous relationship going on (and liberally cheat on each other with side pieces apparently).

Yeah, dinner was strange.  And tedious.  It was like having dinner with Ric Flair and I do not mean that as any sort of compliment.  Dude drank a bottle of wine by himself in an hour or two.  Dude flirted with our 20-something waitress and at one point pulled up his shirt to show her his tattoo (remember, he's around 80).  At one point, he was making horny inappropriate comments about a pair of young women a couple tables away to the point I had to go over and apologize while also making it clear we were not related to him and barely knew him.

He punctuated these 'fun' episodes by talking incessantly about himself, trying to get my proper Catholic mom drunk (no sale), telling her dirty priest jokes and generally being an insufferable ass.  After he got liquored up, he got philosophical and started started talking about his personal philosophy of life then talking religion with my mom.  Unsurprisingly, he considers himself religious and attends church weekly (he thinks all religions are the same, so he just goes to a church that's handy regardless of what faith is is) but his philosophy of religion is a hodgepodge of beliefs that conveniently allow him to snort, drink, or sleep with whatever he feels like while ignoring any inconvenient moral issues that might prevent him from habing a good time.

Did I mention that our waitress expressed an interest in visiting Thailand while he was chatting her up, so he started  recommending Thailand sex clubs to her?  'Cause, yeah. that happened.  Jesus Christ, what a pathetic walking cartoon of a man.

Hour three was even worse.  He seemed to decide I was a stick in the mud because I have "dull" hobbies and *gasp* prioritize work, wife, kids, etc. over chasing women, getting drunk, etc.  Lol, I wasn't at all surprised when he described his Oregon home as a treehouse.  It's some sort of unconventional design that is 20-ft off the ground and partially open-air.  Apparently, the shower is outdoors.  It's exactly the sort of house an 80-year-old doctor with the emotional maturity of a thirteen-year-old would want to build.

Wife and I were done with this after an hour but Mom seemed to enjoy herself.  We would have left, but Mom left her car across town and we weren't about to let this drunken horny goat give her a ride.  I spent a lot of the third hour being curt and borderline rude, going back and forth to the bar just to get away from him, walking around the room, whatever.

It was an interesting experience.  Let's never do it again.  The family has always been a bit intrigued by this guy because he's the sort of person Mom would normally hate but she mostly seems charmed by his antics.  Fortunately, she has very little contact with him outside of reunions and a lunch or dinner once a decade.

I'm not going to judge a guy based on one long drunken evening, but initial impression is he's one of the more pitiful people I've met.  He's obviously smart and has done a lot of good in the world (he's spent a lot of time over the past 50 years in third-world country fixing birth defects and cleft palates pro bono).  But, yeah, based on last night, he's got his head way too far up his own ass.  Admittedly, that might be the perfect place for him as it spares the rest of us, but still.... 

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think one of the reasons Boomers seem so much less dignified and wise than previous generations (besides lead poisoning and a general socially encouraged narcissistic streak) is that people that age aren’t  supposed to have working junk. Thanks science. 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, (BP) said:

I think one of the reasons Boomers seem so much less dignified and wise than previous generations (besides lead poisoning and a general socially encouraged narcissistic streak) is that people that age aren’t  supposed to have working junk. Thanks science. 

 Nah.

Someone like that would be even more insufferable and awful if it didn't work than if it did.  Insecurity FTL.

Edited by Contentious C
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Wife and I got ourselves invited to dinner with my eighty-year-old mom last night so we could meet guy Mom was having dinner with.  Mom went to school (70 years ago) with a kid who grew up to be a rather hedonistic plastic surgeon.  Mom only sees the guy once every several years or so, but seems mostly charmed by him, which is odd to her kids since Mom is mostly a strict no-nonsense seven-days-a-week Catholic matriarch and the guy is a free spirit who set up house several decades ago with his wife and mistress and the three have some sort of odd public polyamorous relationship going on (and liberally cheat on each other with side pieces apparently).

Yeah, dinner was strange.  And tedious.  It was like having dinner with Ric Flair and I do not mean that as any sort of compliment.  Dude drank a bottle of wine by himself in an hour or two.  Dude flirted with our 20-something waitress and at one point pulled up his shirt to show her his tattoo (remember, he's around 80).  At one point, he was making horny inappropriate comments about a pair of young women a couple tables away to the point I had to go over and apologize while also making it clear we were not related to him and barely knew him.

He punctuated these 'fun' episodes by talking incessantly about himself, trying to get my proper Catholic mom drunk (no sale), telling her dirty priest jokes and generally being an insufferable ass.  After he got liquored up, he got philosophical and started started talking about his personal philosophy of life then talking religion with my mom.  Unsurprisingly, he considers himself religious and attends church weekly (he thinks all religions are the same, so he just goes to a church that's handy regardless of what faith is is) but his philosophy of religion is a hodgepodge of beliefs that conveniently allow him to snort, drink, or sleep with whatever he feels like while ignoring any inconvenient moral issues that might prevent him from habing a good time.

Did I mention that our waitress expressed an interest in visiting Thailand while he was chatting her up, so he started  recommending Thailand sex clubs to her?  'Cause, yeah. that happened.  Jesus Christ, what a pathetic walking cartoon of a man.

Hour three was even worse.  He seemed to decide I was a stick in the mud because I have "dull" hobbies and *gasp* prioritize work, wife, kids, etc. over chasing women, getting drunk, etc.  Lol, I wasn't at all surprised when he described his Oregon home as a treehouse.  It's some sort of unconventional design that is 20-ft off the ground and partially open-air.  Apparently, the shower is outdoors.  It's exactly the sort of house an 80-year-old doctor with the emotional maturity of a thirteen-year-old would want to build.

Wife and I were done with this after an hour but Mom seemed to enjoy herself.  We would have left, but Mom left her car across town and we weren't about to let this drunken horny goat give her a ride.  I spent a lot of the third hour being curt and borderline rude, going back and forth to the bar just to get away from him, walking around the room, whatever.

It was an interesting experience.  Let's never do it again.  The family has always been a bit intrigued by this guy because he's the sort of person Mom would normally hate but she mostly seems charmed by his antics.  Fortunately, she has very little contact with him outside of reunions and a lunch or dinner once a decade.

I'm not going to judge a guy based on one long drunken evening, but initial impression is he's one of the more pitiful people I've met.  He's obviously smart and has done a lot of good in the world (he's spent a lot of time over the past 50 years in third-world country fixing birth defects and cleft palates pro bono).  But, yeah, based on last night, he's got his head way too far up his own ass.  Admittedly, that might be the perfect place for him as it spares the rest of us, but still.... 

I'm sorry you had to sit through that but I appreciate the entertainment it provided me! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Tabe said:

I'm sorry you had to sit through that but I appreciate the entertainment it provided me! 

Lol, I am getting a lot of that.  Happy to help.

I am happy I met the guy.  His name comes up periodically but the family was never sure how much our parents were in contact with the guy.  They never socialized, so far as we know.  Dinner made it clear that Mom doesn't know the guy very well.  They seemed more like a mismatched couple on a bad blind date than old friends.  Mom thinks he's reached out a few times lately because my father died earlier this year, and now she won't hear from him until a funeral or something.

Her blind spot for him sure is annoying. If I cheated on my wife or kept a mistress, I suspect she's never speak to me again.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My sister and I have been talking about dishware for the last couple of days. Our grandmother passed away in February. By some stroke of luck, my sister found a woman on Facebook Marketplace selling a bunch of pfaltzgraff yorktowne dishes, which is what grandma always had. She picked up a whole bunch of stuff for $70 (and the woman has called her twice now about coming back because she found more stuff that she'd like her to have). According to my mom, my grandmother probably spent at least a few grand cumultively (in 1970's and 80's money!) for all that stuff. So we've been reminiscing for a few days about our childhood memories and all of that stuff.  I also happen to be a chronic coffee mug collector, so naturally I've decided I want a pfaltzgraff yorktowne mug, which I was able to find relatively cheaply.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dumbass stopped taking my anxiety medication amongst family drama, stressful work changes, and money problems. Smart idea, Octopus. I’m depressed and have been dizzy at night. Physically exhausted. Out of refills and new insurance. So gonna bite the bull term and pay for an appointment. We’ll figure it out. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Octopus said:

My dumbass stopped taking my anxiety medication amongst family drama, stressful work changes, and money problems. Smart idea, Octopus. I’m depressed and have been dizzy at night. Physically exhausted. Out of refills and new insurance. So gonna bite the bull term and pay for an appointment. We’ll figure it out. 

You guys will figure it out.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Octopus said:

My dumbass stopped taking my anxiety medication amongst family drama, stressful work changes, and money problems. Smart idea, Octopus. I’m depressed and have been dizzy at night. Physically exhausted. Out of refills and new insurance. So gonna bite the bull term and pay for an appointment. We’ll figure it out. 

Here if you need to talk, friend. Best do it through PM as my Facebook Messenger is very inconsistent.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

290524545_10158939714243862_641013483271

Thinking about Ralfie who we lost a year ago. This is probably my favourite picture of Ralfie taken a day before losing him smiling getting his cow back from the wash. I hate the cunts who left him bony to die in a box.

  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Been feeling rough with the depression lately - last month up to now specifically. Just need to keep fighting. I can't let this thing defeat me. Thanks to those who have helped me through my mental health issues. Love, Paul xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...