DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: MIL MASCARAS

RIPPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkCVIt756hw

This is actually pretty damn good if I recall correctly. I got it from Ditch. 

The 34:00 mark on probably has more selling from Mil than about half the matches here put together. I remember seeing this and trying to figure out what exactly the Destroyer was trying to do by untying Mil's trunks.

Chavo Sr. and Ricky Steamboat coming out to YMO made my day.

Can we agree that his brother kicks ass though? Dos was so fun to play as in the Firepro games

While I've heard more than enough to the contrary the few people I know that have worked with/around Mil actually like the guy.

I am amused because for this second time this week I have found someone I hate that Yohe loves. That being said - there are a couple interesting things in this (especially the last paragraph)

Posted by Steve Yohe (Member # 302) on 07-07-2002 12:24 AM: 

Im going thru 4 best of Mil Mascaras tapes. Ive got 90% of the matches (20 hrs worth) in my collection already (IM a Mascaras mark) but one I hadn't seen was Mil vs Abdullah the Butcher from Japan from around 1979 or 1980. It's strange to me & I wonder if something was going on. Abby seems to refuse to sell for Mil. Acually the only move he sells for is Mil's flying head butt & that's a finisher & he kicks out or rolls out of the ring. It was funny seeing another ego in a Mascaras match not selling besides Mil. Then Abby gets Mil down & starts pulling on Mil's mask & rips it. I started going nuts because, for the most part, noone fools with Mascaras's masks (even with him having a million of them--that's the reason for the big suitcase.), not even in Mexico. Mil gets loose & they brawl out of the ring for a DCOR. I remember Mil & Dos Caras had trouble with Brody & Hansen & Abby was part of the same group of friends, so I wounder if resentment had cause Abby to show Mil up.

The match that followed on the tape was a 6 man tag with Mil, Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta vs Abby & Bobo Brazil & Carlos Colon. Weird seeing Colon teaming with the super heel Brazil. No one really sells much for Mascaras in this match either, but Mil has Baba to tap and everyone jumps at the chance to sell for the boss. In the first fall, all three of the hard headed heels headbutt Baba & Shohei falls out of the ring & is COR. (Actually Bobo may have missed or forgotten to move.) In the second fall, Baba or Jumbo pins Colon (who looks good in the match), I can't remember. The 3rd fall finish had Mascaras pining Brazil with his dive off the top rope, after Jumbo & Baba do the work in setting it up. Ya Mil pined Bobo. One of the worst things Ive seen in Pro-Wrestling is Bobo Brazil playing heel in Japan. I know Bobo probably enjoyed doing it, but it showed the world his limitations & he is terrible. See Brisco vs Bobo from Japan to see my point. Anyway, I loved watching the above match which had 6 guys who could end up in the HOF.

There also is a match between Mascaras & Kuniaki Kobayashi which Ive seen before. Kobayashi, to me, was great & kind of forgotten today, but a hot head who could get great heat. He kind of shows up Mil also & ends up pulling on Mil's mask. Kobayashi once pulled off Tiger Mask's hood, so that got me thinking too. It seems that Mil is being dominated by a very strong young guy, so it seems he goes to Kobayashi's eyes to get him off. He was using the same move Moe used to use on Curly.

I love Mil Mascaras. Say what you want about him, but his style was wrestling. Beyer told me some things about him & from watching 20 hrs of Mil, it seems true. Mil would wrestle (in major matches) but he wouldn't trade holds. He'd take the whole match if you let him. Beyer said you had to take holds from him. When Dick first told me this, I didn't know what to think because the Destroyer/Mascaras matches are some of the best matches of the 70's. But watching the films again, I see what he means. It's competition with in the framework of working. Dick took holds & then gave Mil holds and what formed out of that was a match that looked different than anything either one had done before. The Destroyer & Mil Mascaras styles were made for each other. Dick, because he could be a dominate wrestler, brought the best out of Mil. Unlike what Abby, & Brody tryed on Mil. IM glad the Japanese desided these films were worth saving.---Steve Yohe

Posted by Steve Yohe (Member # 302) on 07-07-2002 12:24 AM: 

Im going thru 4 best of Mil Mascaras tapes. Ive got 90% of the matches (20 hrs worth) in my collection already (IM a Mascaras mark) but one I hadn't seen was Mil vs Abdullah the Butcher from Japan from around 1979 or 1980. It's strange to me & I wonder if something was going on. Abby seems to refuse to sell for Mil. Acually the only move he sells for is Mil's flying head butt & that's a finisher & he kicks out or rolls out of the ring. It was funny seeing another ego in a Mascaras match not selling besides Mil. Then Abby gets Mil down & starts pulling on Mil's mask & rips it. I started going nuts because, for the most part, noone fools with Mascaras's masks (even with him having a million of them--that's the reason for the big suitcase.), not even in Mexico. Mil gets loose & they brawl out of the ring for a DCOR. I remember Mil & Dos Caras had trouble with Brody & Hansen & Abby was part of the same group of friends, so I wounder if resentment had cause Abby to show Mil up.

The match that followed on the tape was a 6 man tag with Mil, Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta vs Abby & Bobo Brazil & Carlos Colon. Weird seeing Colon teaming with the super heel Brazil. No one really sells much for Mascaras in this match either, but Mil has Baba to tap and everyone jumps at the chance to sell for the boss. In the first fall, all three of the hard headed heels headbutt Baba & Shohei falls out of the ring & is COR. (Actually Bobo may have missed or forgotten to move.) In the second fall, Baba or Jumbo pins Colon (who looks good in the match), I can't remember. The 3rd fall finish had Mascaras pining Brazil with his dive off the top rope, after Jumbo & Baba do the work in setting it up. Ya Mil pined Bobo. One of the worst things Ive seen in Pro-Wrestling is Bobo Brazil playing heel in Japan. I know Bobo probably enjoyed doing it, but it showed the world his limitations & he is terrible. See Brisco vs Bobo from Japan to see my point. Anyway, I loved watching the above match which had 6 guys who could end up in the HOF.

There also is a match between Mascaras & Kuniaki Kobayashi which Ive seen before. Kobayashi, to me, was great & kind of forgotten today, but a hot head who could get great heat. He kind of shows up Mil also & ends up pulling on Mil's mask. Kobayashi once pulled off Tiger Mask's hood, so that got me thinking too. It seems that Mil is being dominated by a very strong young guy, so it seems he goes to Kobayashi's eyes to get him off. He was using the same move Moe used to use on Curly.

I love Mil Mascaras. Say what you want about him, but his style was wrestling. Beyer told me some things about him & from watching 20 hrs of Mil, it seems true. Mil would wrestle (in major matches) but he wouldn't trade holds. He'd take the whole match if you let him. Beyer said you had to take holds from him. When Dick first told me this, I didn't know what to think because the Destroyer/Mascaras matches are some of the best matches of the 70's. But watching the films again, I see what he means. It's competition with in the framework of working. Dick took holds & then gave Mil holds and what formed out of that was a match that looked different than anything either one had done before. The Destroyer & Mil Mascaras styles were made for each other. Dick, because he could be a dominate wrestler, brought the best out of Mil. Unlike what Abby, & Brody tryed on Mil. IM glad the Japanese desided these films were worth saving.---Steve Yohe

What the fuck is Steve referring to here?

Age isn't an excuse for performances that shitty.  If you're too old to work, then don't work.  Even poor Gypsy Joe finally had to hang 'em up a couple years ago.  And Gypsy would actually sell for his opponents (er, most of the time), take a bump or two (more often than not) and eat a pinfall (when he felt like it).  

Wasn't there a clip a few years ago of Gypsy Joe vs New Jack where Jack gets pissed at Gypsy Joe and proceeds to beat the everloving shit out of him. That said, how much money would we have to dish out to book Mil vs New Jack? 

But damn, I was disappointed Stan Hansen didn't get to do too much against Mil. 

Wasn't there a clip a few years ago of Gypsy Joe vs New Jack where Jack gets pissed at Gypsy Joe and proceeds to beat the everloving shit out of him. 

Not just a clip, it was a whole match and a slaughter.  Joe and Jack had never met before, didn't talk much before the match, and had an entire locker room of shit-stirrers who were winding up both guys that the other dude was supposedly planning to shoot on him.  One broken nose on New Jack's face later, The Passion Of The Gypsy began.  

Also: how much to book Mil vs New Jack?  Sheeyit, brother, make it a gauntlet match with Mil against Jack and Kawada and Necro Butcher and Brock and Aja Kong and maybe Pogo The Clown, and then we're talking.  

A few years ago I went through a huge phase of watching Mascaras in All Japan. I was planning on watching and reviewing a different Mil match every day for the month of October (he wears masks and it was Halloween. Creative, I know). I got through about 10 matches and I couldn't do anymore. I quit that project absolutely hating him and loving Dos Caras. In most of the matches Mil's best spot was sucking in his gut with a vacuum pose and prancing around the ring on his tiptoes. Every tag match was the same, it was terrible. Mil would get in the ring and do his shit making it look like an exhibition, tag in Dos and he'd get a little offense and get the shit knocked out of him and, if it had a real finish, Mil would get the win while Dos did all the work. In a fair and just world Dos Caras has Mil's fame and career and Mil has a career like Sicodelico.

The Mil/Dos vs Dory/Terry match was my breaking point. It God damn near broke my brain when I watched it. It was the weirdest straight wrestling match I'd ever seen. I'm sure there is story or something I've missed or overlooked but yeah weird ass match.

Have we already done Dos as a WOTD? That would be a nice yin to Mil's yang for next week.

YUP

He was one of the early ones and everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - fucking ignored it

Since ya know... everyone hates lucha

In our defense you have to dig through all the Jr. matches to find stuff, but there is some on there, like Dos vs. Wagner Sr., Dos vs. Fuchi, Dos and Canek vs. Leatherface and Freddy Krueger (!). I would post these but my board setup is STILL fucky and isn't showing me any of the buttons above the text box for indentation, emoticons, adding images, adding files, etc.

Are you getting a box with non-functioning buttons, which displays your text in this clunky BASIC-lookin' Courier font? If so, try clicking on the upper-left most button (if this is gonna work, it probably looks like it's already been clicked).

And to post any video, just use the word "media" [inside two boxes] [/like this] and put the direct URL of the video in between the two boxes.

["media"]STATE-YOUR-NAME["/media"] <- like that, except with no quote marks and the URL in the middle.

I need to fucking see that Leatherface and Freddy match so someone fix Curt's shit

...how about three out of four?

Sorry for the shitty Pixelvision quality, it's the only copy I could find.

Digression: what the fuck is the DEAL with the enduring popularity of horror-themed gimmicks in wrestling, anyway? Why just THOSE guys? You never see anyone dressing up as Batman or Rooster Cogburn or Godzilla or Mola Ram or The Man They Call Darth Vader. Why do they keep putting guys in suits as the horror icons (and only those THREE, Jason/Freddy/Leatherface) and then expecting the audience to buy it as if they'd somehow Last Action Hero'ed right off the screen and into a wrestling ring? (If that last reference made any snooty cinephiles wince, imagine I said "Purple Rose Of Cairo'ed right off the screen and into a wrestling ring"). And oh yeah, mummies, cuz for some reason fuckin' millennia-old dehydrated Egyptian aristocratic husks of corpses somehow make sense as a Southern wrestling gimmick in America.