DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: MIL MASCARAS

RIPPA

Okay - this is one is a little different. 

First of all - I realized that of the guys I really really really despise they tend to fall into categories.

• Guys who I hate but will never do as a WOTD because there is no way it wouldn't turn ugly quickly
  • Guys who I have already done (example: Harris Brothers)
  • Guys who I hate but I think everyone else loves (I realized that mid-week. They will get their own week sometime)
  • Guys who I hate but have good matches (despite them doing everything in their power to ruin it)

Mascaras falls into that last category. Because fuck am I tired of his refusal to sell... or bump... or put anyone over

But he has wrestled so long and in so many places where he has matches that are enjoyable despite how irritated I get. 

The easy example of this the Clash match against Foley

And now I will go back to giggling at the fact that he refused to let anyone eliminate him in the Royal Rumble, thus the "he eliminated himself" spot which made him look far far worse.

I now await Tom to come along and tell me what an idiot I am

I thought he was older than that. Does he still wrestle?

I entered some essay contest ran by one of the mark magazines when I was a kid to win one of MIl's masks. Had no freakin' idea who he was (he never wrestled in Mid-Atlantic or Southeastern, so I didn't know him from Adam) but DAMN, I wanted a wrestling mask when I was a kid, and his looked awesome. I didn't win.

And now I will go back to giggling at the fact that he refused to let anyone eliminate him in the Royal Rumble, thus the "he eliminated himself" spot which made him look far far worse.

Even better, that he stepped THROUGH the ropes before hitting the plancha to the floor. So he was technically never eliminated at all. Ah, Mil... never missing a trick.

Ray, wily RSPW veteran Hisaharu Tanabe and I saw him work Samuray de Sol (now Kalisto in NXT) for PWS in Rahway a couple of years ago. He gave the kid nothing, took 100% of the match, and literally only left his feet once when he did his bodypress to win the match. In a lot of ways it's the most amazing performance I've ever seen in wrestling.

And yeah, let me know who I need to kill to look that good in my 70s.

I thought he was older than that. Does he still wrestle?

His reported birthday is 7/15/42 - so he will be 72 next week (if that is his legit birthday)

And yes he still wrestles (for example - he was on the House of Hardcore show last month)

So there's guy on youtube, and he's REALLY into Mil. 

He's posted a ton of matches with him recently and they're matches i've never heard of, a lot of them, and I keep thinking that i want to see some, and I just can't dedicate 30 minutes to it, even if I want to see super young Prince Tonga/Haku.

Or Harley Race.

Or even 11 minutes of Austin Idol

Ten with a tag with Wahoo? (how the hell can you not give Wahoo offense. I bet he avoided him)

Race AND Idol?

I've often wondered how Mascaras got away with his blatant no selling in an era when you may very well run into a Wahoo or a Harley that would just straight up kill him for ruining his match.

It's a Mil Mask Match. I can't imagine a mask match without some violence and selling and what not. Did he?

It's Abdullah! come on!

Sweet Brown Sugar, you say?

I dare you to watch this!

Ricky Steamboat and Chavo Sr is my new favorite tag team. Did they wrestle anyone I actually want to see them wrestle? 

First of all - I realized that of the guys I really really really despise they tend to fall into categories.

• Guys who I hate but will never do as a WOTD because there is no way it wouldn't turn ugly quickly
  • Guys who I have already done (example: Harris Brothers)
  • Guys who I hate but I think everyone else loves (I realized that mid-week. They will get their own week sometime)
  • Guys who I hate but have good matches (despite them doing everything in their power to ruin it)

Mascaras falls into that last category. Because fuck am I tired of his refusal to sell... or bump... or put anyone over

But he has wrestled so long and in so many places where he has matches that are enjoyable despite how irritated I get. 

The easy example of this the Clash match against Foley

I now await Tom to come along and tell me what an idiot I am

I just recently took a spin through Foley's book so it's kinda fun to watch this and know that Foley was really down about having to work Mascaras and how Cornette promised he'd put him over and you can just hear Cornette almost completely ignore Mascaras from the cement bump on, repeatedly putting over how tough Foley is.  Also, I can now see that terrible back-breaker bump that Mascaras takes that caused Mick to say under his breath "Come on, Mil, show some pride."

We've talked about Mascaras, so I figured this day was coming.

I also hate Mil's attempt to preserve his legacy as a worker through blatant disrepect. 

El Santo bumped like a freak.  Why couldn't this guy? 

The match he has against Abby is particularly damaging.   Mil "manages" to leverage Abdullah's big ass and force a rope break even though Abby has a lower center of gravity and has a slightly sprawled stance that pushes his weight forward..   Abby probably weighs at least 150 pounds more than Mascaras.

HOW THE FUCK DOES MIL GET TO PULL THIS OFF?  That is like my tiny ass pushing Vader into a corner.  BULLSHIT~!

Sweet Brown Sugar, you say?

I am 99% sure this is the match I reviews in the last DVDVR

MIL MASCARAS vs. SWEET BROWN SUGAR - All Japan (January 15, 1982)

(RIPPA)

Not surprisingly, a Cactus Jack match in Japan match linked to a Mil Mascaras match. Unfortunately, it means I have to watch a Mil Mascaras match. Man do I not like Mascaras. He is only about 70 here so at least there is that. I would be way more excited about a Skip Young match if I wasn't already prepared for Mascaras having nothing to do with Sugar's nonsense. (Oh and just as an FYI - someone uploaded this on Daily Motion labeling Sugar as being portrayed by Koko B. Ware and it made me sad.) So this match comes off as an exhibition of guys doing some matwork (albeit fun matwork) for the sake of doing matwork. I mean it's not like Mascaras was going to sell a God Damn thing. Oh and the finish is all sorts of fucked up as after Macaras gets his headbutts in, he splashes Sugar and then blatantly refuses to let Sugar kickout because hey, eight minutes of work is more than enough for M-Squared.

I also reviewed this match

GIANT BABA/JUMBO TSURUTA vs. MIL MASCARAS/DOS CARAS – ALL JAPAN (1979)

(RIPPA)

Alas – the one sticky wicket about these journeys is that you run the risk of a loop of just the same three or four guys. So of my choices, I went in this direction because HEY! JUMBO! is always acceptable plus my hope is that Dos Caras will start steering me towards the lucha. The tradeoff is more Mil Mascaras. I am starting to think Mil Mascaras might be in my Top 5 most hated wrestlers. Top 10 at least. I mean there is current Randy Orton. And any roided Triple H. Konnan. Anything Juggalo related. OH! Tazz! See… now I digress. All Mascaras fault too. Anyway – this is from the 1979 Real World Tag League so Mascaras might be only around 65 here. And if nothing else about this match – the ring jackets are fucking MAGNIFICENT. I would never take Jumbo’s off. The match starts off with Caras and the amazingly young Jumbo tearing it up on the mat. They do the leglock handstand thingy that would have only been better if they then started punching each other in the face. Basically the transition from the first video to the second video is when Mascaras checks in and outside of Jumbo trying to rip Mascaras’ groin off his body it’s all I AM MIL MASCARAS AND I AM DOING WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT!!! This goes on until Baba FINALLY tags in. That was a little disappointing since Giant Baba – angry vet prowling the ring apron is great. Giant Baba – aging wrestler… not so much. So the grandpas fight over the soup they are trying to return until Jumbo comes back in and HA! Gives Mascaras a giant swing. Oh yeah – M-Squared clearly wasn’t happy about that. There really needed to be more Dos Caras. The parts with him and Jumbo really hum. God it really is great watching Mascaras trying to get away with some of his usual nonsense but when Baba is in there and is all YOU WILL EAT THIS BIG BOOT! The finish is even better as Baba breaks up a Caras pin attempt and Mascaras, possibly forgetting what the finish is, keeps getting in Baba’s face giving him lots of “WHAT THE FUCK???” motions and that continues after the bell. It was Baba’s world and those of us who are really old where living in it. Oh and in case you think I am harsh with my words towards Mascaras - I will let Rip Rogers take it from here. (And these were tweeted on Dec 5)

Rip Rogers ‏@Hustler2754 3h
As a teenager I got all the wrestling mags- Mil Mascaras was always prominently featured- I thought he was the best- then I saw him l
And thought he was doing a queer gimmick-and then I worked with him - ugh-damn, shit- prima Donna, arrogant asshole- sometimes it's best not
To know reality---like fans thinking certain stars r talented- the boys know who r good- good rib is "life is a rib" then u die!!!

This is the week I want.

Mascaras HAD to be the primary inspiration for Silver King's brilliant rudo performance in Nacho Libre, right?  I mean, I'm sure there's plenty of other dicks who've primadonna'd their way through many a Lucha locker room, but no others seem to be so devoted to actively pissing off the rest of the non-markish world like Mil.  

Ray, wily RSPW veteran Hisaharu Tanabe and I saw him work Samuray de Sol (now Kalisto in NXT) for PWS in Rahway a couple of years ago. He gave the kid nothing, took 100% of the match, and literally only left his feet once when he did his bodypress to win the match. In a lot of ways it's the most amazing performance I've ever seen in wrestling.

And yeah, let me know who I need to kill to look that good in my 70s.

Age isn't an excuse for performances that shitty.  If you're too old to work, then don't work.  Even poor Gypsy Joe finally had to hang 'em up a couple years ago.  And Gypsy would actually sell for his opponents (er, most of the time), take a bump or two (more often than not) and eat a pinfall (when he felt like it).  

Now someone watch all those matches for me.

NO.  Although I've already seen at least a couple of 'em.  The Clash match with Cactus, of course, I'm pretty sure that's one of those matches that everyone watched after Mick talked about it in his book.  That one WAR trio, which wasn't too terrible mostly because he made poor Snuka and Backlund do most of the work, and good luck telling the f'n Eliminators that they're not allowed to get offense on you.  And I'm sure at some point I've seen some of those All Japan tags, but all of Mil's shitty endless self-serving matches do kinda run together in my head.  

Somebody PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE watch the Hansen tag and tell me Mil at least took a minor ass-whooping.

I FF'd through it to get to any parts where they might be together. Jumbo does the majority of the work.

7:57 - 8:29. Mil sells one move, Stan definitely gives him a little extra on a punch. There's not much to it, definitely not an ass-whooping.

10:07-10:18 minor bit outside the ring where Stan doesn't even acknowledge a forearm/punch in the back from Mil, then refuses to get pulled off the apron.

12:40-13:15 Interesting post-match exchange where it looks like Stan is seriously pissed and is yelling at Mil and Mil seems to be trying desperately to get away. But that may be skewed by what I've read on this thread.

Goddammit. What a powdered-ass pansy. If he took a lariat from Stan he'd probably die.

Funny thing is, my introduction to lucha libre was an interview with Mil in Fangoria magazine that David Schow had reproduced from some zine in his Raving and Drooling column when I was a kid. It was typically self-serving. However, I never even knew what Mexican wrestling was until I read that, so hey.