DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 8/7

I'm not a TNA hater, but what the fuck did I just watch? The faces forced a woman back into the ring to get put through a table by another face. And the face announcers are putting it over like Sting beating Hogan at Starrcade.

Hey guys, this isn't 1998 and you're not ECW. If you want to know why you are losing TV, I refer you to Impact Wrestling, 8/7 edition.

I'm not sure what you were watching, but I was watching a segment featuing a heel getting what was coming to her. The faces forced a heel back into the ring to get what was coming to that heel. It's the angle's payoff. Good triumphed over evil and now evil is gone (for now). How is that a bad ending to Impact? A company on its deathbed needs to get people talking. This has done and it has made complete sense within the story presented over the proceeding months.

People really need to stop with the fake White Knight stuff because I see right through it. There is a vocal minority on this board who feel that women have no role in wrestling other than respected valet/serious wrestler that gets to have 20 minutes matches every week. These people believe that women should be apart of pro wrestling and yet at the same time exist completely outside of pro wrestling. So women can only play the face and be protrayed in a positive light at all times? Sounds pretty sexist.

It's the same thing I've always said about the J.R. segments when people would start getting all self-righteous: its pro wrestling.Dixie Carter may be the biggest mark in the business right now, but a person would be foolish to think that she did not have a very heavy hand in the decision to go through the table. After all, Dixie Carter is the boss.

• Like 1

I'm not a TNA hater, but what the fuck did I just watch? The faces forced a woman back into the ring to get put through a table by another face. And the face announcers are putting it over like Sting beating Hogan at Starrcade.

Hey guys, this isn't 1998 and you're not ECW. If you want to know why you are losing TV, I refer you to Impact Wrestling, 8/7 edition.

I'm not sure what you were watching, but I was watching a segment featuing a heel getting what was coming to her. The faces forced a heel back into the ring to get what was coming to that heel. It's the angle's payoff. Good triumphed over evil and now evil is gone (for now). How is that a bad ending to Impact?

People really need to stop with the fake White Knight stuff because I see right through it. There is a vocal minority on this board who feel that women have no role in wrestler other than respected valet/serious wrestler that gets to have 20 minutes matches every week. These people believe that women should be apart of pro wrestling and yet at the same time exist completely outside of pro wrestling. So women can only play the face and be protrayed in a positive light at all times? Sounds pretty sexist.

It's the same thing I've always said about the J.R. segments when people would start getting all self-righteous: its pro wrestling. People know what they are signing up for. Men and women. Dixie Carter may be the biggest mark in the business right now, but a person would be foolish to think that she did not have a very heavy hand in the decision to go through the table. After all, Dixie Carter is the boss.

Faces don't put women through tables, unless it is ECW, which doesn't exist anymore because, in part, they had faces put women through tables. What is so fucking hard about this?

What the fuck does TNA hope to gain by a bunch of has beens beating up a 50 year old woman? And they are the good guys. There isn't an excuse for bad booking.

I'm not sure what you were watching, but I was watching a segment featuing a heel getting what was coming to her. The faces forced a heel back into the ring to get what was coming to that heel. It's the angle's payoff. Good triumphed over evil and now evil is gone (for now). How is that a bad ending to Impact?

People really need to stop with the fake White Knight stuff because I see right through it. There is a vocal minority on this board who feel that women have no role in wrestler other than respected valet/serious wrestler that gets to have 20 minutes matches every week. These people believe that women should be apart of pro wrestling and yet at the same time exist completely outside of pro wrestling. So women can only play the face and be protrayed in a positive light at all times? Sounds pretty sexist.

It's the same thing I've always said about the J.R. segments when people would start getting all self-righteous: its pro wrestling. People know what they are signing up for. Men and women. Dixie Carter may be the biggest mark in the business right now, but a person would be foolish to think that she did not have a very heavy hand in the decision to go through the table. After all, Dixie Carter is the boss.

Faces don't put women through tables, unless it is ECW, which doesn't exist anymore because, in part, they had faces put women through tables. What is so fucking hard about this?

What the fuck does TNA hope to gain by a bunch of has beens beating up a 50 year old woman? And they are the good guys. There isn't an excuse for bad booking.

Faces put heels through tables. Heels put faces through tables. That is how pro wrestling works. I don't see your hang up? Listen man, if you don't think women have a place on screen as anything other than Miss Elizabeth style eye candy-- just say it. Dixie Carter has been a heel for the last 2-3 years and has fucked up everyone's life both in kayfabe and IRL. One of the biggest heels of the last couple of years has received comeuppance and will be out for a while.

Why was the entire roster out? Who wouldn't want to see The Death Star blow up? Again, this is pro wrestling and this is how it works. We can't take it completely out of context to try and fit a sexist social narative masking itself as something just. The bad 'guy' lost this time and everyone is up in arms?

• Like 1

Yes, I'm so sexist if I think a babyface shouldn't put a non-wrestler woman through a table. This angle makes no sense whatsoever. How does it make TNA money? The faces are has been former WWE/ECW guys. The heels escape these top faces and the consequences until EVERY FACE ON THE ROSTER forces a non-wrestler back to the ring. And the culmination is a spot that hasn't been relevant in about 5 years from a guy that mainstream wrestling fans remember as a mid card tag team wrestler. It's bad booking and is why this company may be going out of business. The people that run it spoiled the ending of their show and expect everybody is going to buzzing about a retread 1999-ish angle from a promotion that went bankrupt.

To use a Star Wars reference like you did, that is why you fail.

Have you watched TNA for the last year? I don't think you have. Dixie Carter has been a HUGE heel. Styles is out because of her. Both Hardy and Angle cut 'I quit' promos in part due to her regime. The Dixieland guys have been doing her bidding left and right and have been taking out some of TNA's top stars in gang-style beatings. This isn't a story of some woman sitting at her desk minding her business and then being put through a table. This is a story about a heel, who just happens to be a women, doing all the heelish things possible until it ended. Everyone directly and indirectly impacted by this person's decisions rallied against the dictator.

What would have been a satisfying ending if you were booking? The heel gets to go whatever she wants just because she is a female? Nothing happens to Dixie at all? She organized all these screw jobs and beat downs. How would you have liked the angle to play out? What is the grand finale? Bully and Dixie are in the ring and he runs her down verbally and she leaves the ring crying? Even THAT would be too strong for some people. So nothing physical and nothing verbal? What if he just looked at her? Hmm...nothing pyschological either eh? I guess you are right. Women have no place in wrestling, because we don't want to make them look stupid at any point in time. God forbid these women show a little ass, get heat, and draw money. Nope. Can't have that in pro wrestling.

With that said, I feel I need to say this:

1. I don't agree with the ECW 2014 shit. I don't care where they are. TNA should look into the future and get as far away from ECW as possible. TNA should realize that NYC loves good wrestling. Don't give them Jenna/Sharmell. If you have any working agreement with Vanilla Ice, don't bring him to NYC. Its simple. Joe, King, Roode, Aries, Lashley, Hardys, Team 3D, Sanada, Storm, and The Wolves all having good-to-great matches would have sent everyone home happy. Toss in Brian Cage, Homicide, Low Ki, and its a winning formula. No need for Dream, Rhino, and the over reliance on creating an ECW vibe.

I wasn't a fan of ECW when it was alive. I liked certain aspects, but never was a huge mark for the product. Its 2014 and despite having The Network, and actually watching some ECW -- I am still not sold. If I am not sold on ECW when Dreamer, Raven, Sandman, RVD, Sabu, etc. were in their primes. I'm not going for ECW 2014. Plain and simple.

2. Dixie shouldn't be an on-screen character. No more authority figures. The problem with authority figures being so active in angles is that at some point-in-time, that authority figure will need to get what is coming to him/her. Everything in wrestling leads up to a match. This leads to bad matches, matches that the fans don't want to see, and matches that take away a spot from the real stars of the show. If Dixie is removed as an on-screen character (which appears to be the case now), then all of this 'unprovoked' violence you hate to see will cease.

Dunno about that Dixie ending...there's definitely a part of me that gets a little squeamish at a group of (mostly) men surrounding a 50-year-old woman, dragging her into the ring, power-bombing her through a table while an arena full of (mostly) men cheer it on.  On the other hand, I didn't protest that much when it went on in ECW/WWE 10-15 years ago.  Personally, I think the easiest way to avoid the criticism would be for Bully and company to block her exit and Bully to say something like "I don't hurt women...but I know someone who does" and brought out Gail Kim to do the actual Power Bomb (Presuming she's a face right now, she is, right?).

That said, Cibernetico, your Star Wars allusion is way off.  I mean, if the ending of Star Wars was Luke Skywalker cutting off a female Darth Vader's head, it would be a better parallel, but the Death Star wasn't a 49-year-old woman whom Luke outweighed by 2/2.5/3 to 1.

And you know how I would have booked the angle?  I wouldn't have.  Dixie should have never been seen on TV, there was never a need.  Booking her as a heel who orders the beatdown/firing of various wrestlers is a pointless enterprise if you're not simultaneously booking a face female wrestler to eventually take her down.  I mean, what did TNA get out of this?  Their #2-3 face power-bombed a woman in her (almost) 50s! And next week he...goes back to being in a tag team that people were tired of 2-3 years ago that he ditched to become a main eventer.  That's some rub.

All of that nonsense aside, I actually really dug the Dreamer/Dudleyz/Snow-ECIII/Rhino/Rycklon/Snisky match until the reveal of the 4th member of Team ECW.  I actually thought the booking of the whole thing was fairly clever.  Bully calls on his old ECW buddies in NYC to get the crowd into it, Dixie tries to do the same misunderstanding the whole ECW vibe and hiring two guys from Vince McMahon's ECW, that's pretty brilliant, really.  But, how bad must have Snisky's wrestling have been to have them cut his entire entrance and spotlight part off during a commercial break.  But, yeah, I totally enjoyed the majority of it, thought Ethan Carter actually looked like a star in most of it and it was fun to see a match like that which we don't get, for better or worse, much anymore, just a big silly weapons brawl.  Enjoyed Bully's entrance hitting everyone with the trash can.  And I genuinely forgot who the 4th man was so I was all excited and then...Al Snow came out.  And the crowd tried to get into it, they really did.  But who really cares?  Especially with Taz burying Snow on commentary "What does Al Snow think this is, 1989?" isn't the best way of putting over a returning wrestler.  They should have just overpaid for Sabu/Sandman/New Jack to come out, nail everyone with weapons, then get out of the way.  I thought the match kinda went downhill when Snow came out, especially when he did his signature headbutts which had just been done two matches earlier.

Yeah Bully could have done a better job protecting Dixie on that table spot as she took a pretty hard bump.  I can see why she ended up with a concussion and shoulder issues 

I thought I saw somewhere (maybe in these threads or elsewhere) that she suffered three small broken bones in her back from the bump

Again - what is the truth - I don't know

I did find the whole Dixie table thing creepy. The man on woman violence just leads to so many unfortunate implications and there is no need for it in a form of entertainment already considered by a vast majority of people to be crass. I hope she is at least off screen for good but I doubt she'll set aside her ego.

I also hope the ECW stuff is over with. It's bad enough we are getting attitude era rematches now, can we just focus on the present?

Also that Low Ki-Samoa Joe promo made me laugh. After all their history it just seemed comical.

The replays of the Dixie spot does it no favors as its clear as day that Ray's ass goes through the table. If TNA is going to replay the spot a million times and build around it for MONTHS- why half ass it? If Dixie and/or Ray are not 100% dedicated to doing the spot correctly - why continue forward with the planned ending? Bully and the company giving Dixie a choice: table or leave the company forever- would have been a better ending. Sure there would have been some bad acting by Dixie, but I am sure the ending would have been less offensive to some.

The whole Bully Ray/Dixie Carter storyline is so broken.  Dixie Carter hasn't done anywhere near enough to justify Bully Ray breaking her back.  He's been the antagonist throughout most of this.

Bully masterminded assaults on the entire TNA roster as the leader of the Aces & Eights for over a year.  He was threatening to Brookes Hogan and Tessmacher.  He turned on his friend Fat Tommy Dreamer and abandoned his brother Devon.  He had Al Snow drugged to ensure Wes Brisco got a TNA contract.  He tried to set Ken Anderson on fire and vowed to do the same to his wife and newborn children.

Then at Lockdown, he took Dixie Carter's money to be her special referee but double-crossed her and helped MVP win "the power" in TNA.  And somehow that act made him the best guy in all of TNA?  So she retaliated by knocking him off the top rope and through a table.  So he went on this quest to put this non-wrestler woman through a table even going so far as to break into her home.  Then finally #ItHappened and all those people who Bully had hit with a hammer were right there cheerleading this 300-lb man breaking the back of a 50-year old mother.

An old lady got her back broken by a 300-lb man in a six-sided ring in New York City.  I'm sure in someone's completely twisted helplessly broken logic this somehow saved TNA.

• Like 2