DVDVR Message Board

Payback '14

Dolfan in NYC

I'm surprised to see reaction to the main event so mixed here. I loved it. A lot. I thought the chair beat down on Ambrose/Rollins near the stage and the caning of Roman was uncomfortable and violent. And I'm so fucking happy they didn't go the predictable route of having Roman be the sole survivor.

One thing I gotta give WWE some credit for this year is they're willing to change their plans if they aren't working. Bryan wasn't supposed to be in the 'Mania main event. Bray Wyatt wasn't supposed to be the kinda strange tweener. And most importantly: the Shield was supposed to be broken up by now. And instead, WWE seems hell-beant on making them the greatest stable of all-time in kayfabe (and they come pretty damn close to doing it out of kayfabe too). Amazing.

• Like 3

Great Last Man Standing match between John Cena and Bray Wyatt and a very good opener in Sheamus vs. Cesaro. Liked The Shield vs. Evolution but felt it dragged a tad. I did watch the latter match while tired though. Will give it another go.

Dave Meltzer loved Cena/Wyatt:

WWE Payback results & recap: Shield vs. Evolution, Cena vs. Wyatt LMS classic

JOHN CENA VS. BRAY WYATT -- LAST MAN STANDING

This may have been the best last man standing match ever. There were so many incredible spots here you couldn't keep track of it. The finish was Cena by where the controls are giving Wyatt an Attituade Adjustment off a big box through another box. Cena then put a third box and tipped the box over so Wyatt couldn't get up. The Wyatts and Usos interfered several times during the match with the Usos doing dives, Luke Harper doing a dive. Wyatt got up after an Attitude Adjustment in the ring. He did it on the floor but Harper & Rowan interfered and picked Wyatt up. Cena also picked up the ring steps and fired the steps over the top rope and hit Wyatt hard but Wyatt got up. Wyatt's elbow was all cut up. Luke Harper superplexed one of the Usos out of the ring through a table on the floor. The other Uso did the Rikishi hip attack through a table on Rowan. Wyatt did his cross body on Cena through the barricade but Cena got up. A match of the year candidate and worth going out of your way to see.

I can't say its the best Last Man Standing match, John Cena vs. Umaga LMS match at the 2007 Royal Rumble is the best. I'd probably take The Undertaker vs. Batista's LMS at Backlash 2007 over Cena/Wyatt as well.

• Like 1

I try not to complain about Cena booking, because you have to expect some of it, and I like Cena's ringwork in general, but that was about as lame a match ending as possible.  

It would have been neat if Bray broke through the burial attempt, but this was just Duct Tape Part.II.

Cena matches are now as predictable as Big Daddy matches, and when it's that predictable over an extended period, it just becomes boring.

The Evolution/Shield thing was overblown, but I enjoyed what I saw of the rest of it, and I think BNB is ready to start making the leap to the main event again, though I want him to do it as a face to avoid Cena,

• Like 1

I thought when Cena buried Wyatt under the box he would somehow get out, it just seemed such a lame and obvious ending to a great match. Instead they basically did the same ending as last year's Payback Cena match, AA the guy through something. I feel like this feud will probably continue because that ending was so terrible, I don't care if Cena "respects" Bray now, he could have withstood a loss here.

Yeah, I fully expected Wyatt to tip over the box and send Cena flying. It wasn't a bad ending, necessarily, but after the step-javelin and the Harper-Uso bump, it was a little underwhelming. And the wrong guy won, of course. But we all knew that going in.

I enjoyed Paige/Alicia too. It wasn't as hate-filled as their Raw/Superstars matches but it was still good and they tried to get the crowd into it. I'm glad that Paige retained since having her lose this soon would cut her legs out from under her. But I hope that they at least have something in store for Alicia. She's been fantastic these last few weeks 

Yeah, I would not have been surprised for the Wyatt glitch to have sounded and Wyatt appear outside it and Sister Abigail a stunned Cena for the win.

I liked their Mania match and this was a great match until the lame ending. I normally am not on the lolcenawins bandwagon but this was just lazy booking that took no risks. Cena would have protected enough due to the copious interference in the middle of the match, if this was it for Wyatt-Cena I fear what his next feud is. What, fighting Rusev? Fight Orton again for months and months?

Big E/Siberian Express was AWESOME. Just two big fellas killing each other. I knew it couldn't last long, but it was super fun to watch.

Cesaro/Sheamus was good. I don't have as much an issue with Sheamus going over as you guys since Sheamus just won the US Title.

I thought Bray/Cena was the best match they've had since it actually resembled a match. Some neat spots helped. The overbooking was a bit much, but I found the match far more entertaining than their previous two.

I was disappointed by the main event, especially after the really good Extreme Rules match. It felt like silly ECW where it starts off with normal tag rules but since it's anything goes, it just breaks down into a brawl. The match wasn't bad, just wasn't as good as I was hoping/expecting.

So where do they go with the Shield now? They just beat Evolution clean two months in a row and have decimated the regular teams. Only thing I can see is HHH putting them in a triple threat match. 

This angle with Bryan is really making him look like a bum. Refusing to give up the title when he knows he can't defend it, then letting his wife fall on the sword so he can continue not defending it. 

Well it was set up so you really couldn't tell what Bryan was going to do.    It sure seemed like Brie took the ball and decided it for him.   Now I agree that making Brie strong is making Bryan really weak looking.   Brie stood up to Stephanie way more than Bryan ever did.

Big E needs to figure out something new for a big spot because he's done that spear to the floor in like three of his ppv matches now.

I think he does that in every match.

Like on free tv matches too?  Yikes.  With the reaction it gets, it seems like too big of a move for that.

This angle with Bryan is really making him look like a bum. Refusing to give up the title when he knows he can't defend it, then letting his wife fall on the sword so he can continue not defending it. 

I look forward to Bryan's impending heel turn.

Daniel Bryan getting away with this is a testament to how much most fans don't want Cena to get the belt, and the lack of strong babyfaces generally.

Y'all talking about the Stephanie and Bryans' segment:

Did you catch Booker and JBL going on (in seperate segments of course) about how Brie should be fired and how Daniel can always find another wife? It was pretty funny.

I look forward to Bryan's super babyface push.  When he starts making poopy jokes, we'll know he's really over as a face.

Also, people are surprised that John Cena, this generation's Hulk Hogan, won the blow-off to a feud with the crazy cult leader who wants to spread destruction in the world.  Their feud wasn't about being a better wrestler.  It was Bray Wyatt trying to tear down Cena's image, corrupt his fans, "spread evil to into the world", etc.  They booked the feud to give Wyatt some sort of moral victory even when he lost, and Cena jobbed to him at the last PPV (via kid in sheep's mask).  Losing the fued would = the monsters have won and are loose.  Even in the post-attitude WWE, no one is booking their pure babyface ace to lose under those conditions.  It'd be like Hogan losing a "winner gets to possess Mean Gene" match to Papa Shango.