DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Maybe my desire to see a newer face on top outweighs all of this "paper champion" talk, but if Seth Rollins ends up as WWE WHC, I'd be perfectly fine with it. I didn't think Rock was ready in '98 or Foley or HHH in '99, but obviously time proved me wrong on those-- I'd love that element of surprise again. Orton and Cena held them too recently, and as great as Kane has been in his Authority role and with the Team Hell No stuff before it, I really have no desire to see him as champ. I'm not a huge Sheamus guy, and I'm still holding out hope that my Cesaro/Sheamus/Barrett "Team Europe" stable will come to fruition., so in my guesstimation, he's out. Plus, I think having a guy on his level as US champ is great for the status of the title amongst the average viewer. Until Bryan can go, I think they should shock the shit out of everyone and go with a Rollins or hell, even Wyatt. Sure, some may say he's not ready, but he just had a long, arduous (to watch..) program with Cena-- if the average fan isn't going to buy Wyatt now, when will they?

What about Brock? Sure, he's a part timer, but he's hot off the 'Taker win, and in my opinion, I think it does a lot to raise the profile and mystique of the title when the champion isn't on TV every week. I was probably in the minority, but I thought it was fantastic when the Rock had it between RR and WM last year for that very reason. Plus, it might do a whole lot of good for the the IC and US titles to have them contested in the TV/PPV main events on a more regular basis, as some were alluding to above with TNA and even UFC.

Damien Sandow is a newer guy and giving him a role as transitional champ would lead to one hell of an entertaining rant from Brian Fowler.

I would love to see Damien Sandow's interpretive dance after winning the title.

You didn't think Rock was ready when he won? You had to be in the minority right? I feel like that whole sequence of events was exactly right.

Full disclosure: I was really, really, really young, and still held the mindset that he was an IC-level guy at the time of the Deadly Games tourney. I've watched those tapes many, many times since, and although it makes more sense in retrospect, I'm trying to approach the current title situation with the same level of kneejerkedness (?) that I did in those days

How young we talking? Because I like the idea of a 8 year old kid being like, "The Rock ain't ready for that kind of responsibility! Being WWE champ is way harder than taking care of a puppy!"

I remember when I was young and I was like "Now that the Hart Foundation have the titles, they're going to have huge targets on their backs! I hope they'll be okay."

I think I was around 12 at the time. But I fell in with the wrong crowd... Dave Scherer and Scott Keith had already warped my fragile little mind. Your story is way more adorable.

Going with my suggestion of Bray becoming WWE WHC. I hope Cena and him have a qualifying match on SD and Bray defeats him. Then at the EC Bray and Cesero get into it hard and heavy.

This starts out as something I'd like to see, but ends as something I never want to see ever.

• Like 2

Going with my suggestion of Bray becoming WWE WHC. I hope Cena and him have a qualifying match on SD and Bray defeats him. Then at the EC Bray and Cesero get into it hard and heavy.

This starts out as something I'd like to see, but ends as something I never want to see ever.

Wjat part? Bray and Cesero going at it, or is my insomniac mind missing something?  :)

Wjat part? Bray and Cesero going at it, or is my insomniac mind missing something?  :)

"I told em you two were 'hot n' heavy'".

• Like 2

The next time they have a show in Florida, I want to see Sandow come out in Lisa Simpson's Florida costume.

Florida? But that's America's wang!

If The Gambler makes a comeback, I want him to change his name to Gamblor and wear neon claws.

Basically WWE has several options here that would all be fresh and actually possible with the current climate of the program.  Wyatt, Rollins, and Cesaro could all be in position to do it.  Ambrose, Reigns and Wade could be considered to be on the outside looking in as long shots but would be interesting to say the least.  Sheamus is possible although he is having good matches, he isn't really primed for a run at this point after being directionless for a while now.  They could put the strap back on Orton or Cena but it would seem like a missed opportunity to me (although story line wise, Orton might make the most sense).  Del Rio is only worth mentioning because he is already in the thing but what a fart in a church that would be.  

Some people aren't worth mentioning.  The thread already mentioned one of them.  Stop it.

Wjat part? Bray and Cesero going at it, or is my insomniac mind missing something? :)

"I told em you two were 'hot n' heavy'".

Once again, Seinfeld references work in any situation.

• Like 3

I would give ADR some backstory to explain the last two years and put the titles on him. Something like how he lost all of his family money in bad Mexican real estate deals and had to sell of all of his cars. He has nothing left. His swagger is long gone. Even his sidekick has abandoned him.  And he would do anything to get it back.

In comes the Authority to pick him up. They miss the old ADR and think that kind of person with the ego, the glitz and the glamour could be the "face of the company." They pay him handsomely and buy back some of his cars. They mold him into the authority's champ.

No one is gonna sympathize with ADR because no one gives a shit about him.

I don't get people. They can ramble for days on what makes a wrestler "good" but will blatantly ignore the fact that crowds don't gives a shit about them.

Best choice would be Bray Wyatt.  Completely fresh face as champion and something unique for WWE Champion.  You can still have him all over shows without overexposing him in singles matches by doing trios and having him talk up a storm.  You can even have him go defacto face against the Authority since there ain't no way they want that guy being the face of the company.  I don't know that he'd be well suited to doing the 'Champion appearances' media tour but it would be interesting at least and you can always have Cena do that stuff.  God, how awesome would Bray doing a Make-a-wish be?  

Cena would be that choice if you want to stabilize the show after the total shame of the Daniel Bryan reign.  Give the younger fans something to cheer for and the older fans who are getting smart worked more ammunition to hate on John.  It also keeps the belt away from Orton who can benefit the Shield/Rollins program as a tag partner and by putting over Ambrose and Reigns in singles.

Because who gives a shit what crowds think.

Quit defending ADR. HE IS BORING!

You know why the all time greats are considered to be great? Because it was fucking obvious. Someone who goes out there and puts the crowd to sleep is shit.

• Like 2