DVDVR Message Board

Wacky Cage Matches

For all the absurd cages and gimmicky cage match we have seen over the years

First off is the Steel Asylum Match from Bound for Glorry 2007. For the bright red design and the whole on top alone. Another thing that sticks out in a good way to me is that everybody has a character some are cartoony but atleast everybody has a personality. The X Division guys all coming down the entrance one after another reminds me of BattleBowl 90. 

Not really a gimmicky one in terms of special rules, but I absolutely adore the cage match from Smackdown a few weeks prior to Flair's retirement. It ended up being Flair and Shawn Michaels against Edge, Chavo Guerrero, Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder, with the ongoing stipulation that if the Nature Boy lost, he would have to retire. What followed was around ten minutes of wacky, crazy brawling, heavy bleeding and gnarly violence. Definitely a lot different to many of the WWE cage matches that you'll see, just based on the sheer number of people involved - tag team cage matches are all but a novelty but this was unheard of, at least within the confines of a regular cage as opposed to a HIAC or Elimination Chamber match.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4qp64_sd-14-03-08-edge-edgeheads-chavo-vs_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4qqmr_sd-14-03-08-edge-edgeheads-chavo-vs_sport

The WWC version of a Wargames match. To eliminate a member of the opposite team you had to handcuff them to the cage wall....and then beat the ever living shit out of them because it's Puerto Rico...

• Like 4

I think they did that sonewhere else too ... maybe SMW or even Texas

There's an SMW version on the WarGames blu-ray. They called it Rage in The Cage and it was Brian Lee, Jimmy Golden, Ricky Morton, Robert Fuller, & Robert Gibson Vs. Kevin Sullivan, Killer Kyle, The Tazmaniac, Stan Lane, & Tom Prichard.

I think they did that sonewhere else too ... maybe SMW or even Texas

There's an SMW version on the WarGames blu-ray. They called it Rage in The Cage and it was Brian Lee, Jimmy Golden, Ricky Morton, Robert Fuller, & Robert Gibson Vs. Kevin Sullivan, Killer Kyle, The Tazmaniac, Stan Lane, & Tom Prichard.

They did another one with Big Boss Man as the special referee.

They did the handcuff stip in Texas a few times through different promotions...USWA, Gary Hart's TWA, and I think maybe even Global. I believe they called it a "Thunderdome Cage Match," as opposed to a ThunderDoom, since there was no Ron Simmons or Butch Reed around.

That one from ROH with Aries & The Briscoes vs. Age of the Fall vs. Necro Butcher in steel cage warfare. Necro is his own team and would randomly be entered at any time.

Also, this one had its own movie so... let's get Ready to Rumble!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2obs7_ddp-vs-jeff-jarrett-vs-david-arquet_sport

Guest Edwin

I'm more surprised there hasn't been a single mention of the disaster the grand majority of CZW Cage of Death matches have been.

I think the only good one was that one between Team CZW vs. BLK OUT which saw Jack Evans almost kill himself taking an idiotic bump off the top of that structure they called cage to the floor.

The ROH vs. CZW Cage of Death match was the best, but that wasn't a CZW Cage of Death match.

There was also the infamous ROH Scramble Cage match that was most famous for Teddy Hart's insane amount of dives leading to him puking all over the place.

ROH also did a War Games type match between Generation Next and the Embassy which was really good too.

Chambers of Horrors was the most exciting match I'd ever seen as a kid. You have to put someone in an electric chair to win? C'moooooon that's awesome

I remember the cage catching on fire and thinking it was crazy.  The finish to the match was pretty great as well.  

It could've been... if Abdullah had actually sold the electrocution.

The WWC version of a Wargames match. To eliminate a member of the opposite team you had to handcuff them to the cage wall....and then beat the ever living shit out of them because it's Puerto Rico...

Who is doing the commentary on this and was it on a commercial release?