DVDVR Message Board

The Idiocy of Donald Sterling

Josh Mann

The only thing i really object to is the sense of a runaway press overwhelming any personal liberty. I am not a racist, and Donald Sterling can go fuck himself, but my only second thought is that seems to be unfair. In our society even the most perverse pieces of shit(like Sterling) should get due process.  . .

Say it with me, this time: The NBA is not a court of law...

• Like 3

I did say he could change his mind, but here's Magic's tweet from yesterday when everyone started the "Magic wants to buy the Clippers" rumor:

@MagicJohnson 

To NBA Fans, I want to put a stop to a rumor. I am not trying to buy the Clippers, they already have an owner.

I'm sure if they go on sale, he and the Guggenheim group would be interested.

They want an NBA Team. Magic would prefer it be the Lakers, but Jimmy Buss isn't going to sell at least for a few years.

Magic owned part of the Lakers, much the same way he kinda owns the Dodgers.

The only thing i really object to is the sense of a runaway press overwhelming any personal liberty. I am not a racist, and Donald Sterling can go fuck himself, but my only second thought is that seems to be unfair. In our society even the most perverse pieces of shit(like Sterling) should get due process.  . .

Say it with me, this time: The NBA is not a court of law...

Exactly. This due process stuff is bullshit. As has been pointed out before, the conversation begins and ends at what he agreed to when he became an owner.

A couple thoughts:

1) First, I don't have a problem with the punishment being handed down

2) There's something messed up about the NBA possibly forcing a sale of the Clippers, which will undoubted generate multiple interested parties, resulting in a bidding war that benefits....Donald Sterling.

3) When can I expect to start seeing lifetime bans for the racist stuff players say to each other all the time?  Or the racist jokes Shaq made about Yao Ming?

4) I would love to hear somebody ask Silver "Why did the NBA do nothing with Donald Sterling when he was paying fines and settlements for racial discrimination in housing?"

I did say he could change his mind, but here's Magic's tweet from yesterday when everyone started the "Magic wants to buy the Clippers" rumor:

@MagicJohnson 

To NBA Fans, I want to put a stop to a rumor. I am not trying to buy the Clippers, they already have an owner.

They want an NBA Team. Magic would prefer it be the Lakers, but Jimmy Buss isn't going to sell at least for a few years.

Except that was mostly ceremonial, and the decisions were still made entirely by Dr. Buss. And he had to sell it back to them. I can't remember if it was to coach or play, though. 

2) There's something messed up about the NBA possibly forcing a sale of the Clippers, which will undoubted generate multiple interested parties, resulting in a bidding war that benefits....Donald Sterling.

He already has a ton of money.  Giving him a little bit more money won't make him happier.  On the other hand, he likes hanging out at courtside with Hollywood elites and being seen.  He loses the ability to parlay that into pussy.

A couple thoughts:

1) First, I don't have a problem with the punishment being handed down

3) When can I expect to start seeing lifetime bans for the racist stuff players say to each other all the time? Or the racist jokes Shaq made about Yao Ming?

4) I would love to hear somebody ask Silver "Why did the NBA do nothing with Donald Sterling when he was paying fines and settlements for racial discrimination in housing?"

1) Aggre

2) I think that might be solved with the board vote cause I think it would remove him as owner and putting the team in the hands of the nba

3) Likely never

4) 'Thou we knew of those actions against Mr. Sterling because they did not directly effect the nba we did not have grounds to act. when Mr sterling said he what he said on that tape effects the bottom line of the nba.'

Well, the NBA had a meeting with him and he admitted it was him on the tape.

I am on the side of the slippery slope.

Racism gets you a lifetime ban.

sexism? Fostering an atmosphere of sexual harassment? Homophobia?

@MagicJohnson 

Except that was mostly ceremonial, and the decisions were still made entirely by Dr. Buss. And he had to sell it back to them. I can't remember if it was to coach or play, though. 

Not quite. Magic sold his part of the team when he decided to return to play for the team. When he retired again, he bought back his percentage of the Lakers. Right around the time he was part of the Guggenheim group, he sold his portion/shares of ownership to the Lakers to Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong.

Here's the story link: http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/101018johnsonsellstosoonshiong.html

Edited by AlfredoE

Well, the NBA had a meeting with him and he admitted it was him on the tape.

I am on the side of the slippery slope.

Racism gets you a lifetime ban.

sexism? Fostering an atmosphere of sexual harassment? Homophobia?

Makes you wonder how the Kobe Bryant Bundle of Sticks incident would be handled now.

The thing with sexual harassment, Mark, is that it is against the law. 

I would like to think that homophobia would earn just as severe a punishment since we're not just talking about a guy with questionable beliefs; we're talking about a guy that can exercise economic control or deny opportunity based on those beliefs.

As for colorful comments made by players against other players, sure, Shaq is an asshole for making comments about Yao but he couldn't keep Yao from playing basketball nor did he make money from Yao's effort on the court.  That's a different scenario that should come with the appropriate level of censure and sanction.

• Like 2

What about the assistant coach recording conversations on the Golden State team? I kind of think he should be banned from the league for a year at least. He's been hired to work for the Celtics scouting department. Sterling got caught via being tape recorded and for all we know this assistant coach probably recorded some conversations that could lead to some problems for coaches, players, staff members on the Golden State team.

I posted the Bomani Jones call but none of you listened to it. The entire thing was about housing discrimination and a large part of it was about Chicago. :(

Anyway, the deeper you dig into this stuff as I was required to do in a class I was taking... it really is depressing but where to even start? How do we change it? Ugh..