DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

I find it fascinating that New Japan almost desensitized people to good matches

This is a really good point. I can watch NJPW and WWE and compartmentalize them as two separate worlds.  I evaluate NJPW matches compared to other NJPW matches. Creates a weird disconnect when I'm let down by a match, when by the standards of any other company it was fantastic. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brock doesn't deserve to be in either.

He didn't get in this year, but if he goes back to UFC and pops some buys, he probably will get in in the future though. Not that that will make any sense.

It's a long dead horse, but there really isn't a solid argument for Sting as a HOFer beyond fan nostalgia.

This is fucking dumb. Like...really dumb.

It's truth though?

I loved Sting growing up too. Doesn't mean his own peers and industry folk view him as an all-time worker (because they clearly don't) or that his drawing was up to snuff enough to counter (because it wasn't).

And he wasn't the top face when WCW was at its peak; that was Goldberg.

The thing to remember, always, about the WON HOF is that it's Dave's HOF. The WON is a very particular publication with certain norms and preferences. For instance, it makes a lot of sense that Gorilla Monsoon wouldn't be in considering how negative the publication was to him throughout the 80s and early 90s. It makes sense that Lesnar might be more weighted due to the fact it is a MMA publication as well and has been for years, even if he doesn't have the wrestling credentials to be more than a laughable candidate at best. It makes sense on some level that Tanahashi is in at such a young age, before we can really have a good understanding of historical perspective because he's so lauded by Meltzer and the WON audience. It makes sense that a guy like Angle would make it in due to amateur credentials and because he worked a style that Meltzer personally loved.

This isn't some objective body. It's a Meltzer guiding the argument and then a bunch of hugely carny former wrestlers and fairly dubious reporters/historians whose actual knowledge really runs the gamut. Never get too up in arms over the WON HOF is basically the moral of the story.

• Like 1

It is the most legit pro wrestling HOF there is, though.

Would Sting ever be considered a good-enough draw on his own, though? He was such a good babyface for Flair, but would he have been half as successful without Flair or Hogan during the Crow run? I could see arguments for him being in and being left out.

I fall firmly in the "Sting doesn't go in" camp.  Sting was such a  bad draw as champion -- back when such things mattered -- that they took the belt off him earlier than planned on a house show in market that wasn't even a  key city.  Work wise, he was very good luggage.  He was carried to great stuff by Flair and Vader but against guys who weren't better than him, he was average to bad.  You can call out him being the top babyface in WCW but he was always the second banana, not the draw.  People were paying to see the NWO, not this mythical awesome NWO vs Sting program that only consisted of NWO beatdowns and Sting sitting in the rafters.

If your criteria for HOF is, "well, he is famous," then fine.  But if you go by money drawn, work, and other objective criteria, no way.