DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

With the Network approaching, WWE has started to turn the corner with their builds, both for EC (Seriously, the Shield/Wyatt 6-man is an incredible clash and the build has been awesome) and ArRival. Neville's trying hard with Bo, but they haven't exactly let Bo loose with the stuff that made him such a great goofball heel. I wish I saw more of it. Meanwhile, I don't see Zayn going over Cesaro clean, which speaks more to what Cesaro has done than anything else. He just pinned Orton clean as a sheet and went to the wire with Cena. It's going to be hard to see Zayn go over unless there are some shenanigans. That being said, the match itself is going to be bonkers.

Cesaro spending half that promo looking at his watch and cell phone as if to say Sami was 100% beneath him was fucking golden. Little things~

I think Corey Graves just needs a little something more to get him there. He's got to get a little bigger with his moves to make them look special. He's got to bump just a little bit bigger. And he has to really focus on what his character is about and how to make it shine. It's a bit jumbled right now. Is he a tattoo loving punk? Is he a new age pretty boy? There's no reason for me to like him or hate him right now. It's just flat. He's well-spoken and knows how to talk. But he just has to really form his motivation a bit more right now as to who he is and why he does what he does.

If they were to make him a new age pretty boy and give him someone like Sasha Banks (or someone else they have in development) as his Baby Doll, he could really end up in a decent spot. 

I hated The Ascension for a while but have come around to them recently. The reason is because they have a reason. They just want to be the best tag team in NXT, take on all challengers, and destroy all in their path. They don't need to do anything else but that to work right now. They're just a really good tag team.

• Like 1

That Red Arrow looks like a bitch to take.

I do wonder if he gets to take the Red Arrow to RAW - it's not quite as crisp as Evan Bourne's SSP. I almost think Neville is better than building all his matches around that move anyway - the 2nd rope Phoenix Splash he does can easily be a finish in WWE anyway.

I didn't get much out of this week's NXT. Emma-Summer was a little clunkier than I was expecting, but okay.  Ricky/Conny vs. whoever was fine.  Neville/Breeze didn't really hold my attention.  It kind of feels like NXT's in the same spinning its wheels build to Arrival as WWE is with EC before WM.  I think my favourite thing of the week was Emma's promo about her sign, in all honesty.

I actually thought the Cesaro/Zayn bit was probably the best, just because it's such an obvious dick move and Cesaro pulls it off perfectly, then Zayn says what everyone is thinking before he walks away.  The Emma sign thing was...odd, but I just came in in the last six eps so I don't have quite the affection built up for Emma that a lot of folks do.  I can't really argue with you about the actual matches, but I'm looking forward to Arrival more than anything WWE "proper" is building to so I don't care all that much.

Query: if and when the NXT Divas are called up to the main roster, will there be any conflict/heat/resentment/clash because they can WORK? I considered Sara Del Rey one of thee Top 10 U.S. workers for a couple years there, and if she is is as good an instructor these ladies will be able to GO in the ring, unlike at least half of the current WWE distaff superstars. I fear a depush for the NXT gals because they are at different level.

worrying,

RAF

Query: if and when the NXT Divas are called up to the main roster, will there be any conflict/heat/resentment/clash because they can WORK? I considered Sara Del Rey one of thee Top 10 U.S. workers for a couple years there, and if she is is as good an instructor these ladies will be able to GO in the ring, unlike at least half of the current WWE distaff superstars. I fear a depush for the NXT gals because they are at different level.

worrying,

RAF

What, you don't think the girl who renamed the DDT the "Girl Bye" can't go?

I cannot wait for an Emma-AJ program.  Just because AJ going all 'women wrestling is serious business' and Emma being like Emma is going to be great.  I also cannot wait until they let Summer Rae work a character that is actually supposed to know what she is doing on the main show instead of the 'dance partner out of her depth' role.

You're going to see AJ/Tamina before you see AJ/ Emma. I still don't get Emma the character but Emma in-ring is fine.

The Ascension work well in squash matches. The Zayn/Cesaro interview was good stuff. Not sure why Renee ran away since the stip was the two men couldn't touch before the match.

Neville/Breeze was worlds better than Neville/Graves from a few weeks ago. It was a breakout performance for Breeze in my opinion. He got the crap kicked out of him but the super kick reversal towards the end was fantastic.

Emma the character isn't going to work in Stamford.  Bayley doesn't belong in Winter Haven...just sayin'

However, there is something there with Summer Rae, even though she is too skinny to look like a badass and I love Sasha Banks and Paige for the main roster.

I feel like I have written so much about Emma and Bayley...  Oh well.

Emma's character works in a couple of different ways and appeals to a multiple demographics that aren't normally catered to in WWE programming.  She appeals to people because she is an odd ball with the utmost confidence in her oddness.  She dances because she wants to dance and she has never shown a hint of giving any mind to anyone who says shes weird.  She does what she does and because she is success, its okay.  If she was getting beat up all the time, it would be a totally different character.  But because she wins more than loses and never (to my recollection) because of the weirdness, it makes it okay for the crowd to be weird too.  It makes it okay to be in the Marching Band or the Chess Club or a wrestling fan.  It doesn't make you less of a person to be you.  This is not something you see typically in wrestling as everyone is an uber talented cool guy with all the money and power and babes and fast cars. 

WWE typically functions in a wish fulfillment role in that it presents characters who do things you wish you could.  They beat up their bosses.  They can do wild athletic feats.  They are cool guys.  We want to be them.  Bayley is the natural extension of this desire.  She is the representation of what a real person would act like if they were thrust into WWE lime light.  They would meet Ric Flair and go "OMG I can't think strait!  My brain!"  She wants to be liked and accepted by these idols she has built up in her mind.  When she isn't accepted, we feel for her because it plays on our own feelings of discomfort and social anxiety.  When she is, we cheer along thinking the same could happen for us.  She's like The Batman to John Cena's Superman in that anyone could be Bayley but no one is born with the athletic gifts of Cena.  Again, this appeals to a segment of the crowd who aren't super cool people.

• Like 2

I feel like I have written so much about Emma and Bayley...  Oh well.

Emma's character works in a couple of different ways and appeals to a multiple demographics that aren't normally catered to in WWE programming.  She appeals to people because she is an odd ball with the utmost confidence in her oddness.  She dances because she wants to dance and she has never shown a hint of giving any mind to anyone who says shes weird.  She does what she does and because she is success, its okay.  If she was getting beat up all the time, it would be a totally different character.  But because she wins more than loses and never (to my recollection) because of the weirdness, it makes it okay for the crowd to be weird too.  It makes it okay to be in the Marching Band or the Chess Club or a wrestling fan.  It doesn't make you less of a person to be you.  This is not something you see typically in wrestling as everyone is an uber talented cool guy with all the money and power and babes and fast cars. 

WWE typically functions in a wish fulfillment role in that it presents characters who do things you wish you could.  They beat up their bosses.  They can do wild athletic feats.  They are cool guys.  We want to be them.  Bayley is the natural extension of this desire.  She is the representation of what a real person would act like if they were thrust into WWE lime light.  They would meet Ric Flair and go "OMG I can't think strait!  My brain!"  She wants to be liked and accepted by these idols she has built up in her mind.  When she isn't accepted, we feel for her because it plays on our own feelings of discomfort and social anxiety.  When she is, we cheer along thinking the same could happen for us.  She's like The Batman to John Cena's Superman in that anyone could be Bayley but no one is born with the athletic gifts of Cena.  Again, this appeals to a segment of the crowd who aren't super cool people.

Yes, this.

Emma's also really aloof and self-centered. Normally, these aren't good traits in a person. But we all know someone who is just a total self-obsessed person that you're totally fine with because they're just so quirky and weird and would never hurt anyone's feelings. They're just who they are and it's your problem if the person irritates you.

Bailey also works because she's great. She's a huge fanboy (girl?) for everyone she meets and it opens her up to damage. But she's realizing she belongs on that stage but is staying true to being a nice person.

Sami Zayn falls into the trap. He's the best possible version of who we are. He's confident, brave and wants to be the best. But he also looks like us and is a total dork. He's possibly even better than Daniel Bryan at being that avatar for the wrestling fan.

it's really great stuff. We're not cool people. Cool people don't like this stuff. And they're not afraid to have faces in NXT who aren't cool.

• Like 2

I think Bailey works if they bring her on as a segment producer character or something that just keeps being such an over the top super fan that a heel beats the shit out of her.

So she's another A.J.?

*searches for the angle where AJ started her WWE career as a behind the scenes employee, doesn't find it*

No.

Any of my fellow UKites have any idea if and when NXT Arrival is going to be shown over here? It looks like it's just one of the standard taped shows tonight, and there's no sign of it on the schedule as far as I can see, which is bullshit and basically spitting in the face of Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II and Lord William Regal.

• Like 1

Any of my fellow UKites have any idea if and when NXT Arrival is going to be shown over here? It looks like it's just one of the standard taped shows tonight, and there's no sign of it on the schedule as far as I can see, which is bullshit and basically spitting in the face of Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II and Lord William Regal.

I think I read somewhere that international people get Arrival for the next 2 weeks of Regular shows