DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

BFF's need more promo time to get them over as bitches. I'm digging Charlotte as the mouthpiece/chosen one.

You watch the BFFs and you come away thinking, we have to get Charlotte more airtime?  Summer is clearly the best in the role, she looks and acts exactly right for the head mean chick.  Sascha is great as her cocky little lackey, but Charlotte kind of strikes me as out of place. 

I have to think that eventually Sascha turns on Summer and decides to be the leader of the BFF.   In the role of being an arrogant mean bitch, Sascha is so good at this.   I cant imagine her has a babyface given how good she has been lately

I finally saw the Natalya vs Paige match and while I still don't really get the "Anti-Diva" gimmick, she looked great in the ring.  I guess working with Natalya allowed her to actually open the wrestling book more.

Lana's English promos are awesome in that it seems like she rolls the opening letter of every word she says and it sounds great. 

He showed up for two seconds when Lefort was looking for a new client. Lefort called him fat. That's all I've seen of him.

Which I'm going to assume means they hired him just so they have a token fat guy to mock.

So basically everyone with the last name of Dempsey is going to get that gimmick  :P

Kicking it off with CONOR and VIKTOR -- who were pioneers in using only one name in the WWE Universe -- walking to the ring. The first main move in the match is Viktor taking whatever jobber he's facing and tossing him right into his partner, who falls off the apron. This is just a really good Ascension squash. They look like world beaters already. I like the Eliminators/Steiners booking for them. It's going to mean a LOT when someone finally is legitimately competitive with them.

SUMMER RAE comes out with the BFFs. I love this whole package. Their theme song is so perfect for a bunch of mean girls. I can totally hear some nonsense American Idol reject singing over this. It's what I imagine one would hear at some god awful nightclub with a $75 cover, with these BFFs eyeing up some creep for his platinum card, making him spend a few grand on some expensive champagne, and then going through his wallet and booking right when he's doing a line in his expense-account hotel room. She's there to go against Raw for EMMA, who comes out with a sign carrying Bailey.

This is a nice enough match. Emma wins after some tomfoolery from the BFFs that give Emma a chance to hook on the Emma Lock. This is exactly what one would think this match would look like. I really, now, want to see MORE from the NXT Divas. The ones that get TV time are at least all solid. They have characters and motivations. They know how to work within those confines. They hit their moves decently and sell well. They're all very solid. But now I want to see them up their games to another level. I think it's possible for these ladies to take it to the next gear and have something that says "Oh, wow! That's really special. You should go out of your way to watch this." Paige and Emma for the title had that -- it was a special match with a great build between two really compelling characters, and the crowd completely bought in. Emma/Santino vs. Summer/Fandango was one of the best matches of 2013. Let's get more matches approximating that.

TYLER BREEZE is out to comment on his match with ADRIAN NEVILLE. "If he wins... then HE becomes the face of NXT! I can't have that uggo representing... ME!" Breeze's floor is a very good comedy heel. There's some tweaking he can do if/when he needs to become a top-tier guy. But as of now, his delivery is perfect for what he's going for.

Here's a sit down hosted by RENEE with ANTONIO CESARO and SAMI ZAYN! This is set backstage and very conversational. This rules. Great stipulation -- if Sami puts his hands on Cesaro, he won't ever receive another shot at the NXT title. But if Cesaro touches Sami, he's out of the Elimination Chamber. Renee asks questions to Sami but Cesaro steps all over them before the ska-punk fan can answer. Cesaro also tries to kick game to Renee -- "A beautiful and talented yet Canadian woman." Renee's face is absolutely golden. So is Antonio's reaction. Cesaro also then takes out his phone to check some text messages and also looks at his watch. Sami ends it by doing a really great fired up babyface. Wyatts/Shield has been the feud of the year so far. Sami/Cesaro 2 has been the second best. There should be a LOT more buzz about this amongst the wrestling intelligencia then there currently is. Their first match was so great. Cesaro's had at least three more Match Of The Year types things since (Regal, Orton, Cena). He's making a great case as best in the world. He's also absolutely terrific as a base for cruisers. Sami's an awesome babyface. So excited for this.

We get a backstage exclusive with EMMA, who is dancing and carrying the sign Bailey had at ringside. "Was it hard competing tonight with the BFFs at ringside?" "Did you see my sign? It's awesome." This interview is perfect Emma -- just an aloof and total ditz who is somehow also REALLY good at the professional wrestling. She's going to have words for Paige before their big rematch next week.

Main event time as TYLER BREEZE takes on ADRIAN NEVILLE. This was essentially an extended Neville squash, although Tyler did have a few control segments, including one of my favorite transitions ever. Breeze went for a desperation dropkick on Neville and whiffed by about 50 feet. Neville just looked at him with this great "What the hell are you doing?" face. Neville then went off the ropes and ate a Superkick on par with the one my man Stevie Richards hit on Sabu on Best of Extreme Warfare House Party To Remember '96 in ECW (which may or may not have been the night Kimona Wanulala danced on top of the ECW Arena. God, ECW was so sleazy. I'm so conflicted in many ways. I'm a very bookish, nice guy who is old-fashioned in many ways. I don't drink. I curse as little as possible. I go to church weekly. Yet I friggin' love(d) ECW and Sabu and have seen the GG Allin documentary "Hated" more times than I've seen Citizen Kane. I'll never know who I am. But does anybody?)

Neville hit a really crazy powerbomb strength spot in this, too. Real nice.

After Neville hit The Red Arrow, NXT Champion BO DALLAS comes down smiling and in his suit. This was really fun, too. Bo's sanctimonious, insincere act will never get old. I have no idea if it will translate to when he makes the leap or not. But he's so damn great in this role of a total turd. He even at one point calls Neville "a great kid." Neville gives Bo a chance to hit him. Bo walks away sheepishly. End scene.

They've done such a terrific job building towards NXT Arrival. They have three matches that have been really well booked. Bo has escaped with two wins over Adrian Neville. Emma wants another shot at Paige, who barely beat her in the championship match. And Sami wants another crack at Cesaro, who might be the best wrestler in the world today. Great stuff. I hope people new to NXT get a chance to watch this. I love this show so much.

Having been out of the rasslin' landscape for a good 3-4 years before the first 2014 NXT, I am super embarrassed that I had to be told that Adrian Neville is Pac.  (No one else should be doing a twisty shooting star like that, and yet I totally didn't recognize him somehow.)  

Hearing people talk, I feel like I walked into a lesser period as opposed to the NXT of a year ago, but I'm having fun and it's holding my attention far better than the mainstream WWE product does. Too bad that any of these people who can be special as-they-are at the top level will have their legs cut off with new gimmicks, and everyone who's got over with a bush league gimmick that won't work at the top levels will have their legs cut off by NOT repackaging them.  (I may be too cynical, I'm not sure.)

With the Network approaching, WWE has started to turn the corner with their builds, both for EC (Seriously, the Shield/Wyatt 6-man is an incredible clash and the build has been awesome) and ArRival. Neville's trying hard with Bo, but they haven't exactly let Bo loose with the stuff that made him such a great goofball heel. I wish I saw more of it. Meanwhile, I don't see Zayn going over Cesaro clean, which speaks more to what Cesaro has done than anything else. He just pinned Orton clean as a sheet and went to the wire with Cena. It's going to be hard to see Zayn go over unless there are some shenanigans. That being said, the match itself is going to be bonkers.

Having been out of the rasslin' landscape for a good 3-4 years before the first 2014 NXT, I am super embarrassed that I had to be told that Adrian Neville is Pac.  (No one else should be doing a twisty shooting star like that, and yet I totally didn't recognize him somehow.)  

Hearing people talk, I feel like I walked into a lesser period as opposed to the NXT of a year ago, but I'm having fun and it's holding my attention far better than the mainstream WWE product does. Too bad that any of these people who can be special as-they-are at the top level will have their legs cut off with new gimmicks, and everyone who's got over with a bush league gimmick that won't work at the top levels will have their legs cut off by NOT repackaging them.  (I may be too cynical, I'm not sure.)

When I watch NXT, I just ignore the "what will they be like when..." part of it. And, plus, The Wyatt Family is proof that NXT can translate over to the big stage. If anything, the Wyatts work better on the bigger stage than they do on NXT.

I feel that now with WWE acknowledging and even openly advertising NXT, and with NXT being one of the selling points of the WWE Network, that when guys make it to TV on NXT, that the gimmick they have there will be the one - or similar to the one - they will have when called up to WWE. Maybe some minor changes, like with Russev's gear, will happen, but otherwise they will be basically WWE TV ready by the time they're called up. They can't really pluck a guy off NXT TV and completely change the gimmick when they debut on RAW as there will now be way more eyes on NXT. If any gimmick changes will happen, it will happen on NXT before the call-up, such as Leo Kruger --> Adam Rose

I know that it's Hunico as Sin Cara right now. But it would have been to the benefit of Mistico Sin Cara to have gone down to NXT for a little while and learn some of the WWE style, but he refused to do so. Hence it's ironic that Hunico Sin Cara is doing what Mistico Sin Cara should have done upon arriving in WWE.

While it is pretty hilarious that Mistico de Juarez is now the most successful of the two, your post seems majorly biased against Mistico in favor of WWE management.

Who will be the first Full Sail/Performance Center era NXT wrestler to win the WWE title?  You know HHH will push some wrestler just to show how successful NXT is.  Reigns definitely would be best bet so far.

Conor_OBrian_11112012ej_0157_wk.jpg

"Get out of town" - cousin Balki

I know that it's Hunico as Sin Cara right now. But it would have been to the benefit of Mistico Sin Cara to have gone down to NXT for a little while and learn some of the WWE style, but he refused to do so. Hence it's ironic that Hunico Sin Cara is doing what Mistico Sin Cara should have done upon arriving in WWE.

While it is pretty hilarious that Mistico de Juarez is now the most successful of the two, your post seems majorly biased against Mistico in favor of WWE management.

To be fair, what reason has Mistico given for anyone to be biased towards him?

(How about neutral?) It was just a completely moronic thing for them to bring in Mistico like that. I can't fault any worker for not being able to comply with drastic demands & not immediately getting over while being prohibited from doing the shit they're good at, with a bunch of folks who have no clue how to work with him. The whole Mistico episode was just big old WWE randomly and seemingly pretty thoughtlessly snatching up someone who was doing great business for another territory and expecting their popularity to translate. And blue spotlights.

Not that Hunico isn't a bomb ass super worker totally deserving of the spot he has. I was just a bit miffed by the "well it coulda worked fine if he'd only put in some effort" spiel.

Who will be the first Full Sail/Performance Center era NXT wrestler to win the WWE title?  You know HHH will push some wrestler just to show how successful NXT is.  Reigns definitely would be best bet so far.

Conor_OBrian_11112012ej_0157_wk.jpg

"Get out of town" - cousin Balki

I kind of see him getting over on the big stage, honestly. Just a weird pseudo 'Nextgentaker' that shows up and murders people. Reveal that he's Kane's son and he wants to end Undertaker's career. 

I know I'm alone on this, but I still maintain that Corey Graves has the best chance out of the whole roster to become a major star on the big stage.

Ever since someone here posted about 'Cult of Personality' cranking up in Chicago and Corey Graves showing up I have been more and more into that idea. He's so easy to completely hate. That's money.

• Like 1

(How about neutral?) It was just a completely moronic thing for them to bring in Mistico like that. I can't fault any worker for not being able to comply with drastic demands & not immediately getting over while being prohibited from doing the shit they're good at, with a bunch of folks who have no clue how to work with him. The whole Mistico episode was just big old WWE randomly and seemingly pretty thoughtlessly snatching up someone who was doing great business for another territory and expecting their popularity to translate. And blue spotlights.

Not that Hunico isn't a bomb ass super worker totally deserving of the spot he has. I was just a bit miffed by the "well it coulda worked fine if he'd only put in some effort" spiel.

It could. And he could have. He didn't and ended up damaging his brand entirely.