DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

I do enjoy Varsity Club Rotunda, definitely. He was a really fun TV Champ at the time, too. However, I think I enjoy him even more in U.S. Express. I need to figure out why, though. I might watch a couple matches from both those periods and try to understand more concretely why I feel that way. 

More rumblings

WWE has removed CM Punk from the Wrestlemania Fan Axxess line-up according to a new report by Jason Powell. People who purchased tickets to Punk's VIP Autograph session on April 5th were e-mailed that Ric Flair would be replacing Punk and are given an option of a refund, exchanging their ticket to another VIP Autograph session, or attending the session with Flair

More rumblings

WWE has removed CM Punk from the Wrestlemania Fan Axxess line-up according to a new report by Jason Powell. People who purchased tickets to Punk's VIP Autograph session on April 5th were e-mailed that Ric Flair would be replacing Punk and are given an option of a refund, exchanging their ticket to another VIP Autograph session, or attending the session with Flair

That's amusingly ironic since Flair claims that Austin leaving after the Brock situation is when he really began to be used as an in-ring talent to help make up the difference.

So am I the only one that thinks the WWE Network will be a complete & total bomb?

I mean, I think it's a good idea in theory, I'm just really cautious about the execution & I'm not sure if the paying pro-wrestling audience, especially one for the size of WWE, is ready for an all digital medium. Maybe I'm just understand but what if I just want to watch fucking wrestling on the television? I have to now stream it from my PC to the TV, or from a console, like a PS4? I'm not watching wrestling on a cell phone...

I've read up on it (a little) & I'm still confused. You have to buy six months at a time too, so it's not really "$10 a month!" it's six months for $60. There's a difference there, even if it's small.

Plus, I mean, Wrestlemania is a big show for WWE, I fear this will cut into the people that watch it by a LARGE amount. I'm just extremely skeptical about it.

I can see maybe the first six months going OK, people will want to watch 'Mania for cheap. But with the cards being presented and heaven forbid any hiccups, I imagine a lot of people jumping off. Plus, I mean, the people that this would mostly appeal to, at least in my estimation, the internet fans, can just stream the damn thing for free online anyway, like they already do for PPVs or other stations like NBA TV or NFL Network.

RAW will still be on TV, right?

I'm not as positive about it as everyone else seems to be.

Was watching random old-ish matches as I tidied my apartment and I rewatched Hogan-Rock.

I don't think Hulk ever did anything better - ever - than the post match bit where he approaches Rock sheepishly, beaten, and selling the ribs. Gets me a little weepy every time.

• Like 1

So am I the only one that thinks the WWE Network will be a complete & total bomb?

I mean, I think it's a good idea in theory, I'm just really cautious about the execution & I'm not sure if the paying pro-wrestling audience, especially one for the size of WWE, is ready for an all digital medium. Maybe I'm just understand but what if I just want to watch fucking wrestling on the television? I have to now stream it from my PC to the TV, or from a console, like a PS4? I'm not watching wrestling on a cell phone...

RAW will still be on TV, right?

Yeah, RAW will be on TV. If you don't have the capabilities, like a console/blu-ray/smart TV that can access the WWE Network through an app and play on your TV, then no you probably don't want to get this. Netflix proves LOTS of people do have those capabilities and this is marketing to those people. 

IRS-WWE.jpg

Years before Mark Henry started charging for utilities, this dude was coming to collect. IRS was an AWESOME gimmick. They'd be overseas in a country with a completely different tax system and he'd still cut amazing promos about everyone in Madrid being a bunch of spineless tax cheats. It was hilarious and made no sense and it was awesome. And then he would hit someone with a briefcase that was full of...I don't know, honestly. W2 forms? It doesn't get more AWESOME HEEL than that.

IRS is the best of the 90's 'wrestlers that also have other jobs' gimmicks.   

• Like 5

I don't understand how the network will possibly bomb. WWE has over 4 million households watching Raw each week in the US. That's not even including the dvr numbers.

WWE is going to hype the network constantly on its programming so each of its viewers will be blanketed with messages about it. And to give you an idea of what effect that kind of constant advertisement could have, WWE just issued a release that 10 million people have downloaded the WWE App. That's just an absurd number.

Anyone who has heard about it (even non-wrestlings fans/writers) realize this is a great value.

And I don't want to watch it on my computer. Which is why I have a PS3 for one tv and dropped $50 bucks on a Rokeo for my other tv. Problem solved.

skele, honest question. do you have and use netflix on your tv?

I don't now but I have in the past. I sold my X-Box 360 & I used it to stream Netflix.

My main point when thinking about it was this: WWE act like the internet fan base is super small all the time. Now they want that fanbase to be like their entire fanbase. Why? Cause they pushed some shitty App & Twitter? They think all the casuals just have internet now because it's more accessible? Will they finally admit that the internet fans aren't as small and meaningless as they try to act like they are now?

I don't know, I think it's worth taking the risk on, but I think the PPV should be available to purchase normally too. From my understanding, it's not. If that's wrong & I'm incorrect, I'm sorry.

The Netflix comparison is fair & makes sense. I get that. A lot of people watch & use Netflix.

skele, honest question. do you have and use netflix on your tv?

I don't now but I have in the past. I sold my X-Box 360 & I used it to stream Netflix.

My main point when thinking about it was this: WWE act like the internet fan base is super small all the time. Now they want that fanbase to be like their entire fanbase. Why? Cause they pushed some shitty App & Twitter? They think all the casuals just have internet now because it's more accessible?

I don't know, I think it's worth taking the risk on, but I think the PPV should be available to purchase normally too. From my understanding, it's not. If that's wrong & I'm incorrect, I'm sorry.

The Netflix comparison is fair & makes sense. I get that. A lot of people watch & use Netflix.

The definition of "internet fans that live in their parents basements reading dirtsheets, Maggle!" and 'people that consume media using the internet' don't line up here. You can't compare the two ideas, because one isn't real. One is a fictional thing that Vince likes his announcers to laugh about and one is real actual hard data that Vince likes his executives to analyze for a few years before they decide to launch a massive network.

• Like 1

sent in to GERWECK.NET:

Jesse Sorensen did a revealing with Danny Cage’s Monster Factory here

Jesse tells a story about a debter calling him for one payment of $50, 000. He told the lady on the phone he thought the company was paying for it and she had no idea what he was talking about.

Dixie Carter and Bruce Prichard told him to send the bills to the office, which he did. But they kept getting sent back to him and his mom. His mom ended up losing her restaurant in the bankruptcy when all was said and done.

Says he was paid decently—around $30,000 a year. But it didn’t come close to covering the medical bills. He says his checks were always late too. He also notes he had two other jobs during this time—waiting tables and managing a gym.

Mentions the restaurant he worked at was right next to Hogan’s beach shop and it was embarrassing because wrestling fans would be there and notice him there and ask why he was waiting tables.

Notes that most people in TNA had second jobs and most found their “shoot” jobs paid better. Jesse says Dixie’s excuse for the terrible pay is that people are “starting out” but Jesse doesn’t feel people working for the No. 2 company in the world should have to work two or three jobs to get by. Jesse says he makes more than double in his regular job than he ever did for TNA.

Gets annoyed when people assume he was making a fortune with TNA because he wasn’t and needed three jobs to get by, deal with his medical bills, etc.

When the firings started happening, Jesse recalls sitting in catering with the Hebners, and saying he was worried he’d get fired. They assured him TNA would never fire him due to all the bad press they’d get.

Mentioned when Kurt Angle came to see him in the hospital he told he’d back in the ring in 4 months. Jesse pointed out that was unrealistic since he could barely move and wasn’t even sure he’d be able to have a normal life again, let alone wrestle. Kurt told him to stop feeling sorry for himself and get his ass up. Jesse was able to walk again for the first time later than afternoon.

Says him and Zema Ion and him don’t talk anymore, but there’s no animosity there. Says he’d be open to a rematch on the indie scene, but TNA would have to be willing to let Ion work an ippv. Does seem annoyed that Ion didn’t call him for months and months after the injury, but thinks it was probably down to guilt.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/monsterfactoryradio/2014/01/29/monster-factory-radio–episode-6-part-1-jessy-sorensen-qt-marshall

Things we have learned:

- A Kurt Angle motivational speech has Lourdes-like healing ability.

-There are still people that trust Earl Hebner

-Dixie is basically the woman who tells her friends she'll pick up the resteraunt tab no problem, takes one look at the bill, then puts it back down on the table and walks out.

I think what I'm trying to say is I want a recreation of Austin in the bar, being talked into helping out the WWE, except this time Punk is hanging out in a comic book shop, and it takes Austin convincing Punk to come back.

As long as it includes Stone Cold stunnering all the bronies in the comic shop, I'm all for it.

IRS was a stupid gimmick, but really Rotunda was very good in that role. I mean, how much charisma should a taxman have? It still amazes me that IRS was being pushed as late as 95. I just watched the 94 Rumble and he's challenging for the IC title, and actually gets awarded the belt before they do a restart. You'd think he would have just drifted into jobberville once Money Inc split.