DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

On 5/2/2016 at 10:09 AM, Joe Lucia said:

It followed a live event. That live event ran long. They had to cut a segment for time. But go on, keep overreacting to one airing of something you've seen before.

I don't care what anyone thinks of Shilling: If you think that segment got cut at random you are kidding yourself. That would be like airing a documentary on the 1986 World Series and cutting out the segment on game 6. It was the biggest point of the entire story.

The Orlando Magic one was pretty great.  Nice to see Shaq so forthright about his ego getting in the way.  Poor, poor Nick Anderson...

There must've been another version of this thread that died on a previous board.  I cannot find my post praising the Ice Cube doc on the LA Raiders that every single one of you needs to watch.

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Predicting JT's response

"There is no such thing as too much Cube"

There's no such thing as too much jheri curl Ice Cube, there can be too much of any other version.

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed "This Magic Moment" but came away really hating most of the Orlando local press laying the vblame on Shaq instead putting the chunk of the blame on Magic front office for not dealing with the situation properly. I really liked that Magic team, I mean there isn't one guy on that team that didn't make watching basketball fun. It was a team of likable guys that loved the game and it showed and thus made it a joy to watch.

James

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Turned on Beliveland just in time for all the   shitting on Art Moddell so that was good times

The worst part of that was David Moddell basically saying that Cleveland really only lost a football team for about 5 or 6 months because they were awarded a franchise in early 1996.  Never mind the fact that they played no football in 1996, 1997, and 1998.  I can understand defending your father but that is some Paterno like delusional shit to me.

The thing that really got me was how Pittsburgh and Cleveland were very similar in that there was strong cities in the past that was ruined economically and desperately needed a winner and they hitched on their sports team for it.   Luckily for me the Pittsburgh area got that quite a few times.  

On 5/14/2016 at 11:22 AM, J.H. said:

I thoroughly enjoyed "This Magic Moment" but came away really hating most of the Orlando local press laying the vblame on Shaq instead putting the chunk of the blame on Magic front office for not dealing with the situation properly. I really liked that Magic team, I mean there isn't one guy on that team that didn't make watching basketball fun. It was a team of likable guys that loved the game and it showed and thus made it a joy to watch.

James

The part they glossed over, and I understand why considering Shaq has an EP credit on the film, is that at the time Shaq and his then-gf were expecting a child, which both the local fans and media pasted him at the time for as some sort of moral inferiority and a good reason to let him go. 

17 hours ago, Josh Mann said:

The part they glossed over, and I understand why considering Shaq has an EP credit on the film, is that at the time Shaq and his then-gf were expecting a child, which both the local fans and media pasted him at the time for as some sort of moral inferiority and a good reason to let him go. 

There needs to be a 30 for 30 where it focuses on great athletes who left cities based on something stupid.  Remember the Kevin Durant, "Mr. Unreliable" story?  What are the odds of a player of KD's caliber ever choosing to go to OKC?  Why the hell would a paper put that story on their front page, when he's very likely the best player that market will ever have.  If he leaves OKC, I want him to go on TV and say, "apparently these assholes think I'm unreliable.  After next year, when Russ leaves they'll have to rely on Dion Waiters."  What about when Jim Brown told Art Modell his movie was running over schedule and would be late for training camp, and Art Modell threatened to fine him.  Jim Brown decided, fuck him, I'm going to retire.  Just a never ending marathon of people complaining about people breaking their bodies for their entertainment until that person says, "Fuck you, I'm leaving."  It would be told from the athlete's perspective where they tell stories about how they went to children's hospitals, homeless shelters, and Habitat for Humanity events, only for some dickhead at a typewriter to call him selfish. 

• Like 1

I finally got around to seeing the 1985 Bears episode which I really enjoyed - I am not a football fan at all, I know next to nothing about football, but of course like anyone else in 1985 I heard so much about this Bears team and witnessed their cultural impact firsthand.  Getting to know a bit about the game-related aspects of this team was fun for me.  

But, c'mon, how does "The Superbowl Shuffle" warrant literally 5 seconds of mention and no footage?  And why was the player who made that illegal late hit on Jim MacMahon not suspended from the league?

13 hours ago, Mistah Na1m4rk said:

And why was the player who made that illegal late hit on Jim MacMahon not suspended from the league?

Well, he got suspended, just not permanently.  Nobody ever gets lifetime suspensions for physical acts on the field in the big four sports. Closest would be Marty McSorley who got suspended and never played again but didn't actually get a lifetime suspension. 

8 hours ago, Tabe said:

Well, he got suspended, just not permanently.  Nobody ever gets lifetime suspensions for physical acts on the field in the big four sports. Closest would be Marty McSorley who got suspended and never played again but didn't actually get a lifetime suspension. 

Yeah, even Kermit Washington played again after damn near killing Rudy Tomjanovich.  That story probably deserves a 30 for 30.  Before that fight, the NBA was essentially hockey, where fights were common and teams had enforcers.  The NBA in 1977 had a HUGE image problem.  The biggest problem was that for the first time almost every star was black. The punch is very famous, but the whole story isn't.  Kermit Washington was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's enforcer.  So directly before the punch, Kermit Washington and Kevin Kunnert were struggling for a rebound.  Kunnert got the rebound and somehow got tangled up with Kareem.  Washington, who in his role as enforcer gets into a fight with Kunnert.  During the fight, Washington notices someone running at him from the corner of his eye.  He turns and punches Rudy Tomjanovich and essentially seperates his face from the rest of his skull.  The punch, not the entire fight or what came before it, was featured in a Saturday Night Live sketch that weekend.  They played the clip over and over again as a gag.  So in a league where the biggest issue is that it was too black, you have a black guy almost kill a white guy with one punch.  The league basically got rid of the enforcer role right then and there.  

Here is an article on NBA enforcers from October of 1977, the punch was landed in December of 1977.  The sport was celebrating the enforcers one day, and after one punch it all went out the window.  Nobody, but Nobody is Going to Hurt My Teammates

• Like 1

BTW - for those wondering the upcoming schedule is

5 part OJ miniseries (for lack of a better word) in June

And then in July - one on Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry that is directed by Judd Apatow

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There is at least 1 book devoted to The Punch.

And it is FANTASTIC.  That punch was just devastating.  Rudy T was leaking spinal fluid and nearly died.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

And it is FANTASTIC.  That punch was just devastating.  Rudy T was leaking spinal fluid and nearly died.

I didn't read the book, but I read an article (Bob Ryan?) about it that was outstanding.  It was basically how Kermit Washington, who was the face of NBA menace, was pretty much the nicest guy in the world.  He was absolutely devastated about the whole thing and no one cared.  He honestly thought someone was coming to attack him from behind, and when he realized it was known peacekeeper Rudy Tomjanovich, he couldn't have been more remorseful.  He was a middling NBA player who extended his career by being an enforcer, but it was completely out of character for the rest of his life.  Now I really want a 30 for 30 about it.