DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

Kermit Washington remains the most famous athlete to graduate from my alma mater (American University)

As far as I know - he is also still the last college basketball player to end his career averaging 20 PPG and 20 RPG

And this is the link to The Punch - if you ever wanted to check it out

http://www.amazon.com/Punch-Night-Changed-Basketball-Forever/dp/0316735639

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 11:27 AM, supremebve said:

There needs to be a 30 for 30 where it focuses on great athletes who left cities based on something stupid.  Remember the Kevin Durant, "Mr. Unreliable" story?  What are the odds of a player of KD's caliber ever choosing to go to OKC?  Why the hell would a paper put that story on their front page, when he's very likely the best player that market will ever have.  If he leaves OKC, I want him to go on TV and say, "apparently these assholes think I'm unreliable.  After next year, when Russ leaves they'll have to rely on Dion Waiters."  What about when Jim Brown told Art Modell his movie was running over schedule and would be late for training camp, and Art Modell threatened to fine him.  Jim Brown decided, fuck him, I'm going to retire.  Just a never ending marathon of people complaining about people breaking their bodies for their entertainment until that person says, "Fuck you, I'm leaving."  It would be told from the athlete's perspective where they tell stories about how they went to children's hospitals, homeless shelters, and Habitat for Humanity events, only for some dickhead at a typewriter to call him selfish. 

Back in the 90's, I worked for one of the largest accounting firms in the world.  Our regional office in Pittsburgh had several of the area's sports teams as clients, and once in a while, department managers would have free tickets and the like for junior associates, so I occasionally got to hang out with athletes.

Anyway, once got invited to hang out with a few Pirates players after a home game.  This is back during the Jim Leyland era. We walk out of the stadium and there's a mob of people wanting autographs.  We sat around for 2+ hrs (about 2 hrs. 20 min, irrc correctly) while players signed anything and everything.  Finally, the guys had to shut it down and we left.  There were a couple people still around but not many.

A few days later, a fan had a letter to the editor published in the local paper essentially calling Jay Bell an asshole for not signing an autograph for his son that night.  Realized then that, no matter how much players do for fans/owners/sports writers, someone isn't going to get theirs and will call them out for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Believeland is up on Netflix and it's a ball of sadness. Except the bit about the '95 Indians. That part I'm OK with.

Byner made me cry twice. I'm expecting my daughter sometime this week - I'm emotionally fragile right now.

50 minutes ago, elizium said:

One of my sports disappointments is that the 90s Indians never won a World Series. Such a great team, definitely my favourite in the AL at the time. Their line-up was just stupid.

I was just thinking about those teams a couple of weeks ago.  Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle, and Jim Thome in the same lineup is crazy.  I used to love those teams, but like all my favorite sports teams, they ultimately disappointed me. 

On 6/6/2016 at 11:13 AM, Vincey Greene said:

Believeland is up on Netflix and it's a ball of sadness. Except the bit about the '95 Indians. That part I'm OK with.

Byner made me cry twice. I'm expecting my daughter sometime this week - I'm emotionally fragile right now.

Man, his bit about The Fumble was just heartbreaking. 

• Like 1

They showed a commercial of upcoming 30 for 30 shows and it pretty much confirms the Ric Flair documentary and the XFL one 

They are also doing one about Notre Dame vs Miami games with the "Catholics vs Convicts" rivalry.  That sounds intriguing

• 1 month later...

What I saw of Doc & Darryl was good. I don't know if I would call it great but that is also a bias because I am so familiar with the material covered

Doc looks terrifyingly bad

Doc & Darryl was so depressing, and sadly felt incomplete. Those 80s Mets were totally screwed by the lack of a Wild Card, too - the team won at least 90 games in every year from 84-88, and only made the playoffs twice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hail Sabin said:

He's back on the drugs. He mentions once he announced his retirement he had the thought I don't have to pass a test anymore to play baseball then it spiraled from that point on.

In interviews over the past couple months, Gooden has said he's been clean and sober since 2011.

My impression watching the documentary was that they were both supposed to be clean and sober at the present, though I can't recall if they definitely established that on camera.

I'm mildly interested in reading Dykstra's recent autobiography but I kinda hate to put money in his pocket.  Besides, I assume the book either glosses over lots of the sordid stuff, or I'll need a shower afterwards.

53 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I'm mildly interested in reading Dykstra's recent autobiography but I kinda hate to put money in his pocket.  Besides, I assume the book either glosses over lots of the sordid stuff, or I'll need a shower afterwards.

See if you can find it used.

I dont know Lenny was on Stern and was talking about wanking it in prison, giving pleasure to elderly women, screwing baseball groupies in the field crew shed and then coking and popping speed to get back up for the games, steroiding himself up to keep his career going in Philadelphia, screwing a teacher in high school.  I can only imagine what is left to tell in the book.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...