DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The USC 30 for 30 was pretty damn good.  The only thing that bothered me was them pretending that Texas wasn't just as talented as USC.  Vince Young was as good of a college football player that there has ever been.  The previous year he accounted for 5 touchdowns in the Rose Bowl.  He was a huge deal to anyone who had any idea whatsoever about college football.  Leinart was not 2nd in the Heisman voting, Vince Young was.  He threw for 3,000 yards ran for 1,000 and accounted for 38 touchdowns.  Everyone knew they were good, they won the Big 12 Title game by a bajillion points.  Fronting like Texas was a bunch of random hicks was probably the most disingenious thing in any of these documentaries.  They were a juggernaut.

Vince Young essentially taking down USC by himself may be a Top 5 performance in football.  Ever. College or NFL.

It is my favorite college football game ever, and I'm a Ohio State fan.  Winning a National Championship with a 3rd string quarterback pales in comparison to me to that game.  Beating Miami in one of the best games I've ever seen is 2nd.  Vince Young beating USC by being Superman is #1 by a lot.  It is the most incredible athletic performance I've ever seen.

Also, iirc, the senior class (including fourth year junior Young) had been pretty much the consensus #1 recruiting class in the country coming in. That Texas team was loaded.

It still took an all time inhuman performance from Vince though.

Amazing performance from Young in that game. Only one I can recall that I thought was better was Michael Vick against FSU, only because he had absolutely no help.

Oh god, Sproles murdered Oklahoma. It was insane. Snyder after the game browbeating the sideline reporter about how Darren should win the Heisman after the game...

The the Sooners went to the NCG anyway.

There was an absurd performance by Plaxico Burress against Michigan that I don't like to remember but it was pretty fucking awesome.

That Texas/Michigan Rose Bowl was full of insane individual greatness as well.

Aww, Fowler and Tabe are too modest to mention the Tim Biakabutuka game against Ohio State in '95.

Oh that one still makes me giggle.  Of course, Panther fans probably don't giggle so much about Biakabutuka.

Oh god, Sproles murdered Oklahoma. It was insane. Snyder after the game browbeating the sideline reporter about how Darren should win the Heisman after the game...

The the Sooners went to the NCG anyway.

There was an absurd performance by Plaxico Burress against Michigan that I don't like to remember but it was pretty fucking awesome.

That Texas/Michigan Rose Bowl was full of insane individual greatness as well.

Are Vince Young's back to back Rose Bowls the best back to back bowl games ever?  I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that has to be top 5.

Aww, Fowler and Tabe are too modest to mention the Tim Biakabutuka game against Ohio State in '95.

Oh that one still makes me giggle. Of course, Panther fans probably don't giggle so much about Biakabutuka.

That was insane. Just fucking how? I mean, Tim was good for Michigan sure, but God damn that came out of nowhere.

Although the '96 game is my favorite Michigan/Ohio. Shawn Springs slips and falls and TAI MOTHERFUCKING STREETS IS GONE!!!!

• Like 1

Oh that one still makes me giggle. Of course, Panther fans probably don't giggle so much about Biakabutuka.

That was insane. Just fucking how? I mean, Tim was good for Michigan sure, but God damn that came out of nowhere.

Although the '96 game is my favorite Michigan/Ohio. Shawn Springs slips and falls and TAI MOTHERFUCKING STREETS IS GONE!!!!

And the Desmond Howard Heisman pose game still makes people in Columbus start fires.  John Cooper truly was a godsend for Michigan fans.

Tim's performance was amazing, no question. But not really the one man show that VY and Vick put on. Those performances from VY were incredible. But when I was watching that USC game, all I could think was "Man, I've seen this before" cuz VY did the exact same thing to Michigan. He just made Michigan's defense look so weak. Broken tackle after broken tackle after broken tackle after broken tackle. It was like a preview of the RichRod era.

BTW, I met Timmy B in Dallas (outside before the Alabama/Michigan game, when it was literally like 120 degrees) and he was super nice.

DSC01081-2.jpg