DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

I don't give two farts about basketball really, but When The Garden Was Eden was a very compelling watch. So many great characters were part of that Knicks championship era and they presented it well. Lots of great stories.

Clyde Frazier's beard is still something to be envious of. What a guy.

Sweet! Yeah, in the last year or so, there's been a fairly quick turnaround to putting those up on Netflix. I am a little puzzled at how some of the 30 for 30s are missing from Netflix still.

Thanks for mentioning that, Tabe. I didn't know they were turning around so fast for streaming now.

It's been really fast lately - like two weeks. This one actually took longer than most.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Another thanks from me, Tabe! My DVR never recorded it when it first aired and I could never find it again on the schedule (though admittedly I didn't look too hard because of the turnaround they've been having).

Wow the first 30 for 30 next season is the Miracle on Ice story from the USSR standpoint.   That should be good

I am not sure if the new U 30 for 30 was better but still pretty good.    Loved the story of Nevin Shapiro and all the shit that went down.   I was shocked to see the story of Greg Olsen and his "7th floor" rap.   Man who knew the clean cut guy from the Panthers had such an insane potty mouth when it came to the ladies  :D

That line, "G-Reg with the third leg", had me almost falling off the treadmill.

• 2 weeks later...

If anything, that 30 for 30 convinced me that the NHL was/is run by absolute, total, bonafide idiots.

The NHL should be so thankful the worst 30 for 30 in terms of the information digging was the Gretzky one.

How on Earth Pocklington and McNall, both convicted felons as essentially con artists, conspired to pull off the sale of the best player of all time, boggles the mind. And it probably made the NHL billions when you look at the effect it had on hockey in the southwest. But the 30 for 30 didn't dig into that much at all.

I think the league is pretty different now but then again, Charles Wang, bless him. For the most part I can't think of any other really crazy owners. Though whoever owns the Panthers has to be halfway nuts.

I don't think it's *that* different. The Coyotes ownership has been a gong show for years. As far as NHL owners go that entire fiasco with bankruptcy, the NHL getting taking over, Balsillie coming in, and it still continuing today is one gigantic embarrassment for the league. The Atlanta mess too.

Atlanta's ownership made some very poor choices that contributed to the organization being a financial mess but that's a lot different from committing bank fraud.

The most bush league shit that's ever happened with Arizona is that the NHL didn't want to pay Gretzky 7 and a half million they owed him and it took him like two years to get his money. Like, of all the people to hold up for money. That was sad.

• Like 2

Caught a couple more episodes over the last week or so:

Youngstown Boys - Had forgotten I'd seen this one and ended up rewatching. This one is very good and is definitely sympathetic to Maurice Clarett. It's hard to be as it's pretty obvious the system failed him before he turned to crime. Jim Tressel doesn't come off well here as he very obviously threw Maurice under the bus, leaving him to wilt when eligibility questions came up after his freshman season. I also find it hard to believe that the entire Buckeye Nation completely turned on Clarett because he gave an interview saying he might be looking at going pro. That seems a bit of a stretch. Nice to see Clarett's redemption, though. Good for him. 7/10.

When the Garden Was Eden - This is a great re-telling of the glory days of the New York Knicks, from 1969-1973, during which time they won a pair of NBA titles. Loaded with stars, playing a fun style, these guys were superstars fondly remembered by all Knicks fans from that era. This one is really good with interviews from all the surviving key guys. Fun to hear guys bashing Wilt Chamberlain for his play in one series, including Jerry West basically saying "Don't look at me, dude was nuts". 8/10.

The U Part 2 - The sequel to one of the best entries from the first batch, this one only suffers by comparison. This is an excellent addition to the series, telling lots of great stories about the second run of glory days for Miami - the Butch Davis and Larry Coker era that led to twoone national title and a host of NFL guys. There's no craziness like the 80s Hurricanes, other than a massive fight in the streets at a bowl game, but no shortage of fun stories anyway. They go into great detail on the 2001 title team and also into the 2002 that had a national title stolen from them, as you might expect. They do mention Butch Davis quitting but, probably to get him to participate in the film, gloss over the way he straight-up lied to his team one day and quit the next. They discuss the hiring of Coker, with multiple guys confirming what everybody thought at the time - that Coker basically did no coaching, he just guided the ship. Anyway, well worth seeing. 8/10. p.s. I had no idea how great that 2001 Miami team was - 17 NFL first rounders on the roster. *17*. That's 1 in 5 guys. Good grief.

Caught a couple more episodes over the last week or so:

Youngstown Boys - Had forgotten I'd seen this one and ended up rewatching. This one is very good and is definitely sympathetic to Maurice Clarett. It's hard to be as it's pretty obvious the system failed him before he turned to crime. Jim Tressel doesn't come off well here as he very obviously threw Maurice under the bus, leaving him to wilt when eligibility questions came up after his freshman season. I also find it hard to believe that the entire Buckeye Nation completely turned on Clarett because he gave an interview saying he might be looking at going pro. That seems a bit of a stretch. Nice to see Clarett's redemption, though. Good for him. 7/10.

Oh entire is a bit much.  But I would say there was immense outrage by the vast majority.

And yeah, you're right, not having seen the film since I despise Tressel, it was clear the man did nothing to help Clarett.  At the very least, Tressel should have sat him down initially when he started talking about going pro and either gave him a gag order or explained how stupid he sounded - something that Meyer seems to have done with Cardale Jones after the "didn't go to play school" tweet.

But as was evidenced in Tattoo-gate later, Tressel never had any control over the players - which should have come as no surprise given that word was strong he had the same issues at Youngstown State. But hey, Tressel still revered as a good guy in Columbus who was brought down by that mean ol' Terrelle Pryor AND is now the president of a state college my taxes go to fund!  Wheee!

By all accounts, Clarret has got his life together and has made a lot of good efforts to reach out to kids since jail.  So good on him.

Tressel can die in a fire though.

Everybody forgets that Tressel got Youngstown put on probation.

Oh yeah.  Some people mentioned it while he was the leading candidate for the HC gig.  But most were just happy John Cooper was gone.

And yet, Tressel went back to YSU and is still beloved there AND in Columbus.

Hey, that;s College Football Hall of Famer, Jim Tressel to you. . . .

Well, come on.  If getting your program on probation keeps you out of the college HOF, then there would be NO modern coaches in.

Was the reaction to Clarett talking about the pros different than when Greg Oden actually went pro after one year?

Yes.  But you have to realize, OSU fans are WAYYYYYYYYY football first.  They really only care about hoops when they are decent and even then...by March they are thinking about the Spring game more than the NCAA tourny.  So while there were quite a few people saying it was horrible for Oden to go out after one year, Clarett even talking about leaving after one year left people up in arms and saying what a bad person he was.

And don't start me on the crazy Aaron Craft love which is best...there really are no words.

In short, Ohio State fans are horrible.  But you knew that already.