DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

Catching up on a bunch of these. The Tonya Harding one was surprisingly good, and made me feel sorry for her. Also really liked the Ben Wilson one, and the Chilean soccer episode. Disappointed with the Diego Maradonna episode, they could have done so much more about him, instead of just focusing on Mexico 1986. HATED the Red Sox/Yankees episode. Simmons and Lenny sitting in a bar reminicing was terrible, terrible, terrible, and ruined it for me. More Pedro, Ortiz and Millar, less of some fucking Boston sportswriter and actor.

The new 30 for 30 on the New York Knicks team from 1967 - 1973 is really good so far.   The highlight of this so far is footage from 1967 or 1968 when Willis Reed gets into a fight against the Lakers and must have beat the crap out of about 5 guys all by himself.    :o

• Like 1

I just saw that on Deadspin and it was amazing. It was like the Road Warriors going to the ring in Japan. It lived up to and vastly exceeded my expectations after having heard about it forever. If that happened now Willis would've been banned forever.

Yep, that was crazy and I couldn't believe it happened or that it's not more closely associated with Willis Reed's legacy.

Just watched the Boz episode and the opening 20 minutes or so just blew my socks off. Incredible stuff about the father/son relationship and the pressures put on kids in athletics from their parents, who want to live vicariously through their children's successes. Really great episode and it also features Jim Ross a couple of times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good ESPN Film as they called it on the 1984 Orange Bowl game between Miami & Nebraska and the decision going for 2 that cost them the title.   Yeah that 1983 Nebraska team has to be one of the greatest teams never to win the title.    Funny listening to Howard Schellenger called the Fumblerooski "almost immoral" 

It was announced that in March there will be a new 30 for 30.  

The title of the show is   “I Hate Christian Laettner;”   :lol:

Caught a couple of the newer ones on Netflix this weekend:

The Day the Series Stopped - covering the 1989 World Series and the earthquake the interrupted game 3.  Honestly, this was a pretty "meh" entry in the series.  Not bad but no real insights or anything.  A couple nice interviews but, really, this could probably have been a short.  5/10.

The Boz - This one was very good.  Something of a hokey setup with Bosworth and his son going through his storage locker of memorabilia but it mostly worked.  It's obvious that Bosworth has a lot of pain and regrets for his behavior and the the way he handled things back in college.  One particularly poignant moment came when discussing the infamous t-shirt he wore at the Orange Bowl (calling the NCAA "commies").  He obviously was very sorrowful over the shirt and regretted doing it.  His son?  He thought it was the coolest thing ever  and wanted to wear the shirt to school.  Boz tried to emphasize how awful he felt about it but the kid pretty obviously didn't get it.  Lots of interviews with Boz's teammates whose opinions of him vary.  It's nice to see that Boz has achieved some measure of redemption and that people do remember him for being a truly incredible college (and not bad pro when healthy) player.  Not the best 30 for 30 ever but good.  8/10.

Caught a couple of the newer ones on Netflix this weekend:

The Day the Series Stopped - covering the 1989 World Series and the earthquake the interrupted game 3.  Honestly, this was a pretty "meh" entry in the series.  Not bad but no real insights or anything.  A couple nice interviews but, really, this could probably have been a short.  5/10.

That's pretty much how I felt. Didn't help that I had just read Grantland's pretty in-depth oral history not long before and there really wasn't much new. Half an hour would have sufficed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The newest 30 for 30 short is called "Robbed" and it talks about the 1976 Ali vs Norton III fight at Yankee Stadium.  Really interesting story that combines a fight that many believe Ali lost and got really lucky and a look at how bad things were in New York City as there was a police strike going on which let to massive amounts of trouble inside and outside the stadium.   I always find looking at the late 1970's New York city fascinating when you see how awful it looked then compared to what it is now

Just watched Rand University . This covered Randy Moss's career up through his rookie year. Great stuff but a little too pro-Randy. Lots of great footage from high school of Randy. Not in the top echelon of the series but really good. 8/10.

Wow the first 30 for 30 next season is the Miracle on Ice story from the USSR standpoint.   That should be good

I am not sure if the new U 30 for 30 was better but still pretty good.    Loved the story of Nevin Shapiro and all the shit that went down.   I was shocked to see the story of Greg Olsen and his "7th floor" rap.   Man who knew the clean cut guy from the Panthers had such an insane potty mouth when it came to the ladies  :D

Wow the first 30 for 30 next season is the Miracle on Ice story from the USSR standpoint. That should be good

There's a documentary out right now that covers much of the same material but, yeah, that should be great.

To me it felt like the first part was here's what how we delt with being hammered for actions of prior teams. Then the middle was them pretty much doing the same stuff as the teams from the 80's. then the final part was all about how it wasn't really the teams fault that the administration and NCAA let Sapiro run rough shot

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, prior to The U: Part 2 I had never heard of Randy Phillips, and I wish to God I still hadn't heard of this idiot.

He single-handedly drags down the "post-Ohio State" part of the doc, and is featured way too much in the second half of the film.

Could they not get Jacory Harris or Robert Marve to sit down for an interview, or insert more footage of Ed Reed?  

I guess Billy Corben wanted to reinforce the "Thug U" stereotype so he filled the second half of the doc with Randy Phillips running his mouth (Antrel Rolle telling critics to "kiss my ass" didn't do himself any favors either).

A quick Google search shows that Mr. Phillips played one year with the Lions before washing out of football completely, so I'm not sure why he was chosen by Corben to serve as the main spokesperson for the post-Coker era players.