DVDVR Message Board

2013-14 NFL Conference Championships

Dolfan in NYC

I thought that was only if it was a TD and then it would have wound up being reviewed. Since it was ruled an incomplete pass, it wasn't an automatic review.

Was under two minutes. Any review would have to come from the booth. The only difference Harbaugh losing his shit would have made is potentially giving his guys in the booth more time to look at the video.

Right, I knew it had to come from the booth, but I didn't realize it was an automatic booth review for incomplete passes if it was under 2 minutes.

I don't think it is. Pretty sure you were right the first time. Had it been ruled a TD, it would have been reviewed automatically. Since it wasn't, someone in the Niners' replay booth had to call for it.

The booth is supposed to review every call in the last two minutes of each half, regardless of it being a scoring play or not. I can't believe they didn't call for the review immediately after that play finished, since it was so close. I can see why Harbaugh was losing his mind on that one.

I was gonna root for the Seahawks until I watched Cindy yell at the TV for three hours willing the Niners to victory yesterday afternoon (her mom is a Niners fan going back to the Montana days). RUN IT IN KAEPERNICK! NO DON'T THROW IT! SHUT UP JOE BUCK YOU DOUCHE!

I repeat strong recommendation you marry that woman, and damn tson.

I was gonna root for the Seahawks until I watched Cindy yell at the TV for three hours willing the Niners to victory yesterday afternoon (her mom is a Niners fan going back to the Montana days). RUN IT IN KAEPERNICK! NO DON'T THROW IT! SHUT UP JOE BUCK YOU DOUCHE!

I repeat strong recommendation you marry that woman, and damn tson.

Particularly if she was doing the same the week before, too.

Seattle will host the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC championship game on Sunday. Apparently, the Seahawks are willing to do whatever it takes to solidify home-field advantage.

According to SFGate.com, the Seahawks are limiting ticket sales to just six states and the Canadian provinces for the upcoming playoff game. Only credit cards with addresses from Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, Alaska and Hawaii will be allowed to buy tickets for the game at CenturyLink Field.

Eh, 49er fans are still likely well represented in those states as holdovers from The Glory Days anyway

They're older now, of course, but that just means they have the money and idle time to travel.

Seattle will host the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC championship game on Sunday. Apparently, the Seahawks are willing to do whatever it takes to solidify home-field advantage.

According to SFGate.com, the Seahawks are limiting ticket sales to just six states and the Canadian provinces for the upcoming playoff game. Only credit cards with addresses from Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, Alaska and Hawaii will be allowed to buy tickets for the game at CenturyLink Field.

That is really childish.

Is that even legal? I guess it's their tickets, but I'm sure the NFL would have something to say about it.

I would assume the NFL would not care unless it put Seattle at risk of not selling out.  Which, due to football's popularity and scarcity of game tickets due to how few games there are, is not a risk.

The only "something to say" the NFL would have would be concerning it's designated portion of tickets for Corporate Sponsors and or good PR giveaways to kids via The United Way or whatever.  They get those and can distribute however the shield chooses.

Service businesses do reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, after all.

This has probably been happening all year long with a bunch of teams and people are only bothering to report it now to help build heat for the championship match.

EDIT:  and again, the 49ers are one of the UN Security Council Teams; once a dynasty, ALWAYS an obnoxious fan base that manages to travel everywhere.  Just like Pittsburgh, or Dallas, or Green Bay, or New England, or even still Oakland.  Plenty of Bay Area folk relocate to Washington and Oregon, too.  So it won't even work as well as one might assume.

The Nats do it to try to block out Phillies fans.

I *think* the Caps have tried to do it in the past too to keep out Penguins fans, although I seem to remember they actually got sued over that.

So, at least in some jurisdictions it's legal.

The board where I first heard this story, it was a reported by a guy who believed Seattle was getting the idea from NHL teams/arenas trying to keep Blackhawks fans from taking over road games.  In any event such attempts would be less feasible in the other major sports, since they have so many more games and ticket sales departments often use the featured opponent as the draw/selling point.  Trying to black out out-of-town fans truly hurts business in those sports in a way that the NFL is (I assume) largely immune to.

Also alleged the Broncos are attempting the same thing (and it also won't work; The Patriots are a Security Council team.  They have fans in Colorado with Colorado credit cards already, they'll show up.)

The comments section underneath any article of this nature are, of course, almost always an eyesore, but the people shouting conspiracy with regards to driving up the after-market/resale/scalper value with artificial scarcity do make a fun point.

IANAL, but couldn't one say that the teams are trying to illegally regulate interstate commerce?

Doubtful.  It's more of a tourism issue, perhaps:  this does potentially hurt any business looking to profit off of the out of market fan (hotels, etc) coming into the area and conducting intra-state commerce, and this is of course why you'll never hear about The Packers doing this because opposing fan tourism is so vital to Green Bay's economy the team literally cannot afford to do this from a business standpoint.

After season ticket holders and the NFL's promotional cut, also, how many at-large tickets are still available that this is even an issue with?  Probably not significant enough for any "regulate interstate commerce" argument (i.e. how many Floridians were going to want to come/be able to come to this game anyway)?  The region Seattle is "limiting" its ticket sales to are the regions ticket sales would be limited to by geography/logistics anyway.

It'd almost be like trying to argue Restraint Of Trade against a sports team because their stadium "only" has X thousand seats and tickets to sell in the first place.

Manufactured Scarcities To Drive Up Demand is a time-honored capitalist tradition, after all.

IANAL either, and any member of DVDVR Law who would like to swoop in and educate us please feel free to do so, but I imagine this is the case.

You know for the NFL jerking itself off and ESPN cupping its balls with all of this "omgz PARITY" and "nine thousand teams were still in the playoff hunt the last week of the regular season lets expand the playoffs". 

The truth is that none of that fucking mattered by the time we got to the final four. I mean who didn't call this final four in October? Patriots have been to this game three straight times. The Broncos have been doing their best Greatest Show on Turf/17-1 2008 Patriots impression all year long. Seattle has been flat out destructive and unbeatable at home for two years now and only in the last few weeks of the regular season didn't anyone even have a reason to doubt they weren't who we thought they were. This is also San Fran's third straight trip to this game and if it weren't for a bullshit call in the Saints game nobody would have ever pretended like it wasn't 1A and 1B in the West this season. 

Normally you get that team with nine wins, a wild card entry, they've looked shaky most of the year but they put it together in the playoffs and make a big run. The Giants, the Pack, even kind of the Ravens last year. 

I can't stand the Niners because their coach is the biggest douchebag in sports, Kaep has looked AVERAGE at best this season and he acts like he's Joe fucking Montana. Seattle's team is filled full of roids but nobody talks about it because its football and no one gives a shit about PEDS in football even if they could certainly make a quicker and more significant impact on games than in baseball. The Patriots are dirty fucking cheaters who haven't won shit since they have been exposed and since Tom Brady's last Super Bowl they are 7-7 in the playoffs. The problem with that is its 14 playoff games. They won't go away and they seem to get every break I've ever seen in a football game. The Bronco's don't feel legit they got the highest scoring offense in history but not one of those guys in that offense including their QB is the best player at their position and outside of Manning the only other guy that is in the top five players at his position is Julius Thomas and thats just because outside of Graham, Davis and Gronk there aren't a lot of dominant Tight Ends. 

Go Bronco's but still fuck you if you overrated dicks happen to win the whole thing.

/football season rant

• Like 1

It's far more of a comment on sports in general than on Harbaugh, but prick though he is I'm not sure he even cracks the top 10 of Biggest Douchebags In Sports.

His failure thus far to commit rape or vehicular manslaughter certainly hurts his overall Shithead Rating.

I've still even got him behind Bonds in my personal list of Biggest Douchebags I've Rooted For.

Your point is well taken, though.