DVDVR Message Board

2013-14 NFL Conference Championships

Dolfan in NYC

What part of "grown men hitting each other and knocking themselves into early dementia for squandered money, fleeting fame, and STD-contracting sex" exactly screams non-Massengill?  Come on, folks, we've had this conversation before.

"Athletes Are Role Models" and indignance when they turn out to be "jerks", for whatever reason, is an ideal that refuses to die.  It's funny, really.

Several generations of shoveling dirt on top of it and that pale cadaverous claw of a hand keeps shooting up out of the soil, accompanied by a striking minor chord and a flash of lightning, ready to terrorize us again.  Usually by selling us jeans and pickup trucks.

• Like 1

The average person should realize quite early on how bad of a role model the average human being might be, let alone someone as high profile as a famous athlete. That's asking a lot, I guess.

The average person should realize quite early on how bad of a role model the average human being might be, let alone someone as high profile as a famous athlete. That's asking a lot, I guess.

Sadly it still seems to be Asking Too Much.

But, even more precious to us than our fiction of Athlete = Role Model, is our using of THE CHILDREN~! as an excuse to be sanctimonious about that which offends us, so cheering the competitive athlete only to turn on him when that competitive nature also manifests as jerkish behavior (enabled by the high salary he's paid in reaction to our demand for his playing services) will continue to be.

Typical, um, Northwest/Rocky Mountain Coast Bias!

Which Super Bowl matchup do you most want to see?

21%
    49ers vs. Broncos

11%
    49ers vs. Patriots

53%
    Seahawks vs. Broncos

15%
    Seahawks vs. Patriots

(Total votes: 160,359)

The Nats do it to try to block out Phillies fans.

I *think* the Caps have tried to do it in the past too to keep out Penguins fans, although I seem to remember they actually got sued over that.

So, at least in some jurisdictions it's legal.

Which was rather funny given that two years before that they were begging Phillies fan to come to the game.  Glad that doesn't have to happen for a while

The thing I couldn't figure out is why would some in Hawaii want to travel to Seattle.  I don't love football that much to avoid great weather for Seattle

The Nats do it to try to block out Phillies fans.

I *think* the Caps have tried to do it in the past too to keep out Penguins fans, although I seem to remember they actually got sued over that.

So, at least in some jurisdictions it's legal.

Which was rather funny given that two years before that they were begging Phillies fan to come to the game.  Glad that doesn't have to happen for a while

The thing I couldn't figure out is why would some in Hawaii want to travel to Seattle.  I don't love football that much to avoid great weather for Seattle

Teddy Log-On was one of the first to do it. One reason i stopped wanting to support the Caps.

I'm really not a fan of blocking fans out from going to games. I get you want home field advantage but there's something to be said for the atmosphere visiting fans can bring to a stadium too, especially in a close game. It's actually a lot of fun being in a stadium with some heathens present, usually.

• Like 1

So Warren Sapp and Mooch has decided to pick games by bobbing for apples on NFL Gameday Morning.  And yet this still doesn't make me want to switch the ESPN or CBS show  :unsure:

Thank god these games are starting

Yeah i sure CBS when I watch Peyton vs Brady play another AFC playoff game I am going to be thinking that it will be like the Miracle on Ice or the moon landing  <_<