DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

the finale of Season 3 of Lost is probably my favourite episode of any TV show ever. That ending still gives me goosebumps and was a total mindfuck.

Unrelated, I was reminded of this last night and couldn't stop laughing. I love American Dad
roger-elbow-drop-o.gif

At this point, I don't know why they don't let these non-American actors keep their natural accents on these tv shows (Karen Gillan, David Tennant, etc).  One throwaway line would explain it, and the actor would be set to be comfortable in his/her natural speaking pattern/accent/voice.

I will admit Hugh Laurie pulled it off well for almost a decade.

Made it through Season 2 of Under the Dome. Jesus, this might be the best terrible show ever.

I'll be watching Season 3 just for the "how much more ridiculous can we potentially get" factor.

It hasn't been renewed yet and after that season, I'm not sure.

Damn it. Now I has a sad.

Have started season 3 of Parenthood.  This is such an odd show for me - I find it really compelling, and I enjoy it a lot, and yet...it just grates on me in so many ways.  I find myself loathing the majority of the characters, particularly Sarah and Kristina.  Sarah is a waste of space as a parent given dialogue that seems like it's trying to be Aaron Sorkin, all rapid-fire and talking over other people and just annoying.  Kristina is a control freak shrew who thinks she's better and smarter than everyone around her.  Yet she's more than happy to bend to whatever demands her son Max makes.  Max has go Asperger's, I get that, but he's still reaaaaaaaaaaly unlikable.  Kids with Asperger's can be taught right and wrong...or they can just be allowed to do whatever the heck they want - like Max.  Then you've got Camille, the holier-than-thou matriarch who never hesitates to tut-tut at children's parenting skills and moral choices, while never looking in the mirror to see her failures with her own daughter and her enabling of her son Crosby, not to mention the whole cheating-with-your-art-teacher thing.  And let's not forget Jasmine, the mom who's only single because she didn't tell Crosby about the kid.  He makes every effort to be a good father after his child is dropped him - and still she treats him like he abandoned her, his opinions are completely worthless, and so on.   And she ends up just being another control freak.  Crosby, of course, is a screwup, who finally self-destructs again after yet another round of being told his opinions are worthless and ends up screwing Minka Kelly.  Then there's Joel, the house husband who doesn't seem to "get" it.  His wife is a high-priced attorney but he still acts he's the one with a job and pushes stuff on her.  And, hey, no problem - go ahead and take jobs that pay $20 an hour so your wife can cancel her meetings that she bills at $600 an hour.  Good grief.  And let's not forget Amber with her ridiculous "look at me, I'm alternative" glasses and her bad attitude.  

And yet, somehow, it all mostly works.  By season 3, they've mostly ditched the "every family member attends every minor function" thing that was so stupid and unrealistic in season 1.  And the storylines, in and of themselves, are generally pretty realistic (though the "Amber can't go to college because Berkeley rejected her and there are apparently NO OTHER COLLEGES IN THE ENTIRE STATE" thing was just stupid).  And the good moments, like Zeke taking Amber to the junkyard and showing her the wrecked car, telling her "I'm not going to let you mess up my dreams", are really good.

As a side note, Minka Kelly has been in two different shows that I've enjoyed - Friday Night Lights which, of course, is an all-time great, and then Parenthood.  She's mind-bendingly hot and yet I'm amazed at how little she adds to the shows and how little I care about her characters.  Her story arc in Parenthood was incredibly obvious from day one, not at all surprising or interesting and, as a result, not at al compelling.  She sure is nice to look at though.

My problem with her character in FNL is that, even though she is incredibly hot,any time she comes on screen all I think is "oh what does this cheater/hussy want". Its a storyline and part of her character that worked a bit TOO well in my opinion because she is really really annoying.

If you want to die of alcohol poisoning, take a drink any time Lyla repeats something just said to her, but in a whiny and incredulous tone.

Very true but damn she'll look hot saying it.
  • Like 1

Blackish is the funniest thing on television and good for them on calling out parental bullshit. 

Parents that tell their kids that they can come to them with anything are kidding themselves.  There are some things you just aren't prepared to hear your kid confess to you and that is okay.  Just do the best you can.

And HOLY SHIT, CRIMINAL MINDS~!  ICK~!  An episode showcasing the cleavage of Jennifer Love Hewitt got totally eclipsed by the sickest UnSub yet.  Nice callback / twist on the Cleveland Torso Murders case.

Stalker was pretty awful. And Dylan McDermott is blandness personified. 

And I've come to the conclusion CBS do so many serial killer and crime shows because they want people to be too paranoid to leave the house...meaning they have to stay in and watch CBS.

It's an ingenious plan.

• Like 1

My problem with her character in FNL is that, even though she is incredibly hot,any time she comes on screen all I think is "oh what does this cheater/hussy want". Its a storyline and part of her character that worked a bit TOO well in my opinion because she is really really annoying.

I get she's hot, but at some point, you have to go: and what else? And there really isn't anything else. I guess the male version of her would be Orlando Bloom.

Note to studio execs: next time you want a gorgeous girl who can be on all the men's magazine covers and not embarrass herself as an actress or drag down your show, just go with Maggie Q or Tricia Helfer. 

Started by CW catch up as the shows get slowly posted on Netflix as season premieres loom. Finished up The Vampire Diaries and have to say that it is probably their weakest season since the first. Felt like the sole purposes of the season were to clean up the mythology and add a few new characters which wouldn't have been that bad if the plots weren't so middling. And is there anything worse as a showrunner than having the couple you decide to go with get together IRL only to subsequently break up? Awkward.

Next up Reign and finishing off The Originals.

Please don't tell me your CW catch up involves having to sit through Beauty and the Beast.

Heh, no, I think I watched the first two episodes of Beauty and the Beast before quitting the show. You have to appreciate a show that solely continues to exist because CBS needs to produce at least one show for the CW. 

I felt the show had problems from the get go when it cast a male model, drew a few scars on his face, then expected us buy him as "the beast"

The most CW thing ever. "OK, so it's called Beauty and the Beast, but it's not like beast actually has to be ugly or anything."

I don't see the issue here.  Slap a disclaimer on and let the parents decide if they want to let their kids watch it.  This also allows the parents to have a conversation about the issue, which they should at some point anyway.

I could get why the anti-PC brigade would be up in arms if they were completely editing out the scenes from the show. 

*Insert [something rambling about censorship and people being offended by everything and seeing racism everywhere] Here *

Yet, from what I read, I believe they are keeping the scenes in and only adding a warning.  What's wrong?