DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I binge-watched all of About A Boy in one night due to the horrific caffeine intake I had on Sunday.

SEASON REVIEW: It's really good! Every episode is breezy. They may be 30 minutes in length, but it feels as short as your average YouTube clip. They don't waste any scenes or any dialogue. The three main characters all hit their roles and have really good chemistry. They don't make things needlessly complicated. There are a few laughs in every episode -- I don't remember anything that made me hit pause, but there's some pretty funny stuff. It doesn't get too cloying at all, despite the fact that one of the main characters is a lonely 11-year-old boy.

I give About A Boy a solid A-/B+. It's definitely worth watching and I'm excited for Season 2.

First episode of How To Get Away With Murder was excellent. Hooked already.

Fuck yeah and Shonda has hitched my ass to another season of Scandal with a near perfect season premier.

I absolutely hate Olivia's lying, punk ass father.   God bless you, Joe Morton, you awesome actor mother fucker.

I could've lived without watching Olivia getting the sticky finger in the first two minutes of the show.  That was some ten o'clock shit showing up and nine, for real.

As pilots go this was probably as good as it gets. I only fear that what they are going for won't really work on 15-16 episode seasons.

As much as I love the premise, this isn't a day in the life series like Grey's Anatomy or Scandal.  Eventually someone is going to prison.  It is a non-sustainable plot that eventually will self-terminate by design.

I love and hate television shows with an ending already built in.  I hate it when shows stay on so long that they jump the shark or wear out their welcome, but shows with any sort of longevity are becoming relics of the past in this era of ADD audiences.

Simpsons/Family Guy crossover was pretty blah all in all. A few funny moments but that's it. The 2 James Woods sitting next to each other was my favorite part.

I thought there were some funny moments contrasting how The Simpsons are, generally, pretty decent people while the Griffins are total sociopaths. Like Lisa spending most of the episode trying to give Meg a much needed confidence boost only for Peter to just tear her down again.

Car wash scene was better than it had any right to be.

Fuck yeah and Shonda has hitched my ass to another season of Scandal with a near perfect season premier.

Yeah, the Scandal season premiere hooked me and the wife almost immediately.  We had never watched Scandal before this summer.  Wife marathoned the show over the break. I watched a few eps from last season.  Apparently, I didn't even watch the season finale (wife had to tell me what happened), so I wasn't a die-hard fan until last week.

Once Upon a Time are doing a Frozen storyline now.

Obvious why did it, but I do feel bad for all the parents who've sat through the movie 3,000 times, thought the fuss was dying down, and now have to sit through the TV show religiously too.

Dvr'ed it because my three year old loves Frozen. She made me fast forward any non-frozen parts. Breezed thru it in ten minutes. The snow monster was scary.

I know its been talked about before, but I just saw a preview for gracepoint(the broadchurch remark), and lordy is tennant's american accent terrible.  You know, us networks ought to just by the broadcast rights and air the original british shows. . . 

I know its been talked about before, but I just saw a preview for gracepoint(the broadchurch remark), and lordy is tennant's american accent terrible.  You know, us networks ought to just by the broadcast rights and air the original british shows. . . 

Confirmed.

And it looks like a shot for shot remake.

Broadchurch was great and I'll watch this for trainwreck purposes. Maybe they'll surprise us and mix up the story.

Yeah, I have not clue what's wrong with just showing the British version. Sure if it's some Scandinavian deal and you don't think people will get into subtitles but it's in English.

And the only person with a worse American accent than Tennant is Karen Gillan. At least Tennant's sounds like it's from this world. She ends up sounding like a crackhead version of Cher from Clueless.

I mean, Vince Gilligan was always completely transparent that they didn't even know what they were doing episode to episode, let alone season to season, on BREAKING BAD. They never explained how Brock was poisoned in the show, and nobody gives a fuck.

JUSTIFIED had no clue who Drew Thompson was when they set up that mystery that the whole season was built around.

I still want to know if Huell ever left the motel room.    :lol:

• Like 2

I know its been talked about before, but I just saw a preview for gracepoint(the broadchurch remark), and lordy is tennant's american accent terrible. You know, us networks ought to just by the broadcast rights and air the original british shows. . .

Confirmed.

Broadchurch was great and I'll watch this for trainwreck purposes. Maybe they'll surprise us and mix up the story.

Either BBCA or PBS showed Broadchurch already in the US.

I know its been talked about before, but I just saw a preview for gracepoint(the broadchurch remark), and lordy is tennant's american accent terrible. You know, us networks ought to just by the broadcast rights and air the original british shows. . .

Confirmed.

BBC America aired it in the US.

It looks like too close of a remake to be interesting to those of us who already saw Broadchurch - and casting Tennant reinforces that impression.  But, the producers have promised a different killer, so I'm hoping that they mix up some of the other stuff.  So far, the only thing interesting me about the show is that I loved Broadchurch.  Am kinda interested to see how Anna Gunn handles her role.

Been going through LOST from the beginning since I got sick and just finished season 3.

Though it starts off poorly and has more than a few plot threads that go nowhere, I think an argument can be made that, Jack's beard aside, "Greatest Hits" kicks off the best continuous stretch of quality episodes the show has all the way through the season finale.

Andy Greenwald has said that Gracepoint is basically a straight remake for the first 6 episodes, but 7-10 have some major differences. He didn't say what they were, but pretentiously noted they were 'very american'. I assume this means David Tennant shows up in a monster truck painted like the Tardis.

Confirmed.

BBC America aired it in the US.

It looks like too close of a remake to be interesting to those of us who already saw Broadchurch - and casting Tennant reinforces that impression.  But, the producers have promised a different killer, so I'm hoping that they mix up some of the other stuff.  So far, the only thing interesting me about the show is that I loved Broadchurch.  Am kinda interested to see how Anna Gunn handles her role.

I watched on BBC America(I love that channel), but the Networks ought to outbid them, and just air them instead of the remakes. Watched Gillian's series, and its a trainwreck, but damn it all, if she isn't still facinating to watch even with the horrible accent. . .