DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

If you look over the cast lists for the CW, their shows are littered with Canadians - most of their shows are filmed there to keep costs down. Green Arrow is a Canadian as his brother (?) who stars in that X-Men ripoff show. I don't know what else CW has but I imagine if you looked over the cast bios for that Vampire show or that Tudors ripoff, you'd find Canucks there as well.

The Vampire Diaries(outside of the pilot episode) is filmed in Georgia actually. That said Nina Dobrev is hot and Canadian.

Well Goddam! I just started re-watching Babylon 5 and if it isn't the bST science fiction show made for TV I don't know what is. Just that whole arc from "Babylon Squared" through "War Without End" still blows my mind and of course how it ties into "Sleeping In Light". I'm pretty sure by the time I get through it all (again) I'll have shed a few tears. More shows need to be thought out this well

James

Why did you shits not tell me to watch House of Cards earlier?

Man, I killed the first season within like three days of its debut and raved about it on here. Where were you????

Great show and I am dying for season two.

I think the LOST actor I might most like to see more of is Alan Dale (Charles Widmore).  That said, he seems to get plenty of work -- I just always seem to miss him.  Looking forward to seeing him in Captain America: Winter Soldier, though.

Alan Dale is in everything as the best character - the shadowy rich powerful guy.

I think the LOST actor I might most like to see more of is Alan Dale (Charles Widmore).  That said, he seems to get plenty of work -- I just always seem to miss him.  Looking forward to seeing him in Captain America: Winter Soldier, though.

They need to figure out to get him on Game of Thrones, even if he is Kiwi and not Brotish.

I think the LOST actor I might most like to see more of is Alan Dale (Charles Widmore).  That said, he seems to get plenty of work -- I just always seem to miss him. 

Seriously? That guy is what I call my own personal TV Stalker (what I call an actor who seemingly pops up in EVERY show you watch - hey, there's a thread idea). I first remember seeing him as one of the cabal of nameless shadow baddies on X-Files, next thing I know he's on 24, then the O.C. (Probably his best role IMO) and finally Lost. I finally shook him for a couple years but recently started watching Once Upon A Time on Netflix and damned if he doesn't resurface...

I suppose it's not entirely unreasonable that we'd have drastically different viewing habits but it's almost inconceivable to me that you can always miss him...

Oh and, I concur with Odessa, he does need to show up on GoT.

Cynthia Nixon (aka least irritating of the Sex in the City girls) is guest starring in season 2 of Hannibal as Jack's boss at the FBI.

Some critics have already been sent out the screener

Bruce Fretts @brucefretts Jan 17

The final shot of #Hannibal's Season 2 premiere is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. It's going straight into my nightmares.

And I have no clue what to make of this spoiler heavy photo, dream sequence maybe?

kaiseki9.jpg

So excited for this show.

I'm working my way back through HANNIBAL in anticipation of the new season, and I continue to be amazed that this show exists on network television. And I'm not even talking about the graphic violence and everything-but-the-stuff-you-have-to-pay-for nudity!

How did this show make it on the air with Hugh Dancy giving that performance? It's so bizarre and genuinely unlike anything other leading role on network television. (I would say unlike any other on all of television, but now McConaughey is doing a very similar thing on HBO.) Most network leads are pretty whitebread, and even when they aren't, there tends to be some charm about their faults or they're so badass you want to be them. I can't imagine anybody wanting to be this Will Graham. And there is no charm to his flat affect and paralyzing social awkwardness. Even when the writers give him punchlines, Dancy plays them like Will is scared of jokes.

And we haven't even talked about the creepy scene in every episode where Will goes into the killers' heads and commits horrific crimes while looking directly into the camera and babbling psychotically yet! THIS IS MY DESIGN.

How did this pilot not come back with about a thousand studio notes saying DEAR GOD NO NO NO...GOD NO NOOOOOOO.

I love it.

I remember when I first heard about Hannibal and I thought "interesting idea, but it isn't cut out to be on network TV." But the most impressive thing is that they've pulled it off. Sure, none of the characters ever drop the F bomb, but do they need to? It actually works better here: so much tension is just beneath the surface and everyone is desperate not to crack.

I think network TV has gotten a lot better over the last couple of years. I mean, you still get a lot garbage, but stuff like Hannibal, The Good Wife, Almost Human, etc. really holds up.

Kim Cattrall is by far the least annoying of the Sex and the City girls.

Not to derail the thread, but I remember being in line for the movie premiere for Sex and the City, and this dude behind me, who obviously was there to make the girlfriend happy, asked her how long the film was. When she replied about three hours, he shot back "Jesus, do they go to Mordor?" I still laugh every time I think about the movie because of it.

• Like 1

Back to HANNIBAL...

Let's just go ahead and say it: Mads Mikkelsen is better at playing the part than Anthony Hopkins. Sacrilege, I know. And I'm not trying to fuck with the unfuckwithable SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, but once they took that performance out of the cell in the sequel and the prequel, it got pretty badly exposed. Hopkins' Lecter doesn't play as anything other than looney bin material. You wonder how anybody could fall for this guy's routine.

But Mikkelsen's Lecter, while stoic and inscrutable, is also capable of displaying such empathy and genuine charm that it's easy to see why people would be lining up to have dinner with him on a regular basis. Any oddness about him is easily written off as "foreigness" or a byprodcut of an unusual sort of genius, much like Graham.

And I have no clue what to make of this spoiler heavy photo, dream sequence maybe?

kaiseki9.jpg

So excited for this show.

You've probably read this by now, but Fuller said that the first scene of this season is actually part of an en medias res framing device with whatever happens at the end of this season. I'd guess that's it.

And, hey, I was just talking about how Jeremy Davies hasn't worked much post-LOST, and now I see that he's showing up on HANNIBAL this season.

The last two pages of this thread just came full circle.

Intelligence doesn't interest me, but I hope it does well or at least Holloway finds a way to get a better role out of it if it sinks.  Sawyer was my favorite LOST character and Holloway actually seem like a decent dude.  Not sure he's great actor or anything, but he's likeable and that can go a long way.

Speaking of Hannibal, here's the season 2 trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPi4ytN19Ow

Back to HANNIBAL...

Let's just go ahead and say it: Mads Mikkelsen is better at playing the part than Anthony Hopkins. Sacrilege, I know. And I'm not trying to fuck with the unfuckwithable SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, but once they took that performance out of the cell in the sequel and the prequel, it got pretty badly exposed. Hopkins' Lecter doesn't play as anything other than looney bin material. You wonder how anybody could fall for this guy's routine.

But Mikkelsen's Lecter, while stoic and inscrutable, is also capable of displaying such empathy and genuine charm that it's easy to see why people would be lining up to have dinner with him on a regular basis. Any oddness about him is easily written off as "foreigness" or a byprodcut of an unusual sort of genius, much like Graham.

Yeah, I would rate Mikkelsen above Hopkins in Red Dragon and Hannibal too. Hopkins great in Silence of the Lambs because he's just in it long enough to scare the crap out of you, then gets out, but once they started showing more and more of him the guy had degenerated into a crazy James Bound villain.

Gideon's over-the-topness is theorized to be Fuller's dig at that characterization. Guy acts like a mad genius/raving lunatic but is, for the most part, a total poser. 

I like Helix. Its claustrophobic as all get out. There's some good mystery. And I was kicking and screaming about Julia not telling everyone she was infected, and then she went and told. I hate shows that move the drama by having characters just not tell each other crucial stuff.

Yeah, there's hardly any depth to anyone and the acting isn't exactly stellar, but I'm digging it.

Definitely need to give Hannibal another try. I DVR'ed the last season and never watched it.

• Like 1