DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I'm not aware of the consensus opinion on here on New Girl, but I really dug the first 2 seasons of the show.

This season it's just lost it's charm and has become all sorts of annoying, although I'm sure most of you probably have found it annoying since season 1.

Agree totally.  This season has been pretty bad.

True Detective is a wee bit pretentious but I dig it. Feels like David Lynch. I'm more a fan of Harrelson's hard-nosed act than McConaughey's ramblings but the story will hopefully pan out to an interesting meeting of the two minds. It's also good seeing Clarke Peters and the guy who played the delinquent landlord on Treme on the show. 

Unless Catwomen is one of Bruce's class mates or something it doesn't work

Eh, if Bruce is 12, she could be about 19 or 20 and just beginning her new criminal career. I know she's supposed to be roughly the same age as him, but 7 or 8 years isn't a huge deal.

Fox chief: Forget pilot season for us

Jan. 13, 2014, 7:46 PM EST
By DAVID BAUDER , AP Television Writer
PASADENA, Calif. (AP) — Fox's entertainment chief said Monday he wants to blow up the way television has done business for generations because it often doesn't work.

Kevin Reilly has taken a step in that direction by doing away with pilot season — the frantic period in the spring when broadcast networks make test episodes of dozens of potential new shows to put some on the fall schedule.

"Honestly, it's nothing short of a miracle that the talent is able to produce anything of quality in that environment," Reilly said.

Reilly said Fox has about 10 shows in various stages of development already, with episodes being written, and casting and shooting of episodes ready to go. One series well in the works is "Gotham," which will follow Batman as a boy until he first puts on a cape.

Fox's viewership is up 4 percent this year, but it is down among youthful viewers that represent its target audience, according to the Nielsen Co.

Some long-running shows such as "Glee" and "The X-Factor" are sharply down in ratings. But the success of the new shows "Sleepy Hollow" and "Master Chef Junior" has been a big help. Both already have been renewed for new seasons.

Traditional ratings are becoming increasingly meaningless, Reilly noted. The audience for "Sleepy Hollow" nearly doubles when time-shifted viewing is taken into account, he said. Fox is also finding that people who stream episodes on sites such as Hulu are often more attentive viewers.

Because of television's traditional calendar, creators often find themselves rushing to get series ready during the summer and sometimes aren't capable of making full 22-episode seasons, Reilly said.

"We want to have some maneuverability," he said. "We don't want to be bound by a premiere date and wind up having to change a wheel at 60 mph."

Veteran TV comedy producer Bill Lawrence, creator of "Scrubs," ''Spin City" and the upcoming Fox comedy "Surviving Jack," said that when the network picks up a pilot, suddenly producers have about two weeks to pull together a cast and staff for something they've spent two years making.

"The message to shake things up a little bit is great," Lawrence said.

Producers of "Sleepy Hollow" aren't waiting for the summer to get ready for a new season. They start shooting again in March, Reilly said.

The Fox executive is envious of flexibility at cable networks. FX found itself recasting the lead actor for "Sons of Anarchy" and reshooting much of its first episode. If it were broadcast television, the show never would have made it on the air, he said.

Fox has already said it is stretching television's calendar and will be premiering a miniseries revival of "24" in May to air into the summer.

Taking another page from cable, Reilly said the idea of shorter seasons make sense for many series, particularly dramas.

Speaking of some individual shows, Reilly said he expects "Bones" to be back next year.

I just don't see how Gotham is going to work without them changing damn near everything about the mythos.

Also, werewolves are my favorite monsters and I try to give any show with them a shot, but this Bitten show on Syfy looks pretty terrible just from the pilot episode.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/01/14/monday-final-tv-ratings-intelligence-mom-the-bachelor-adjusted-up/229138/

Intelligence went from doing a 2.4 to a 1.2, which is one of the biggest drops from a pilot to second episode ever.

I thought the show looked a bit ridiculous. Hard to believe CBS picked it over NCIS: Red and Beverly Hills Cop.

Nice to see Sleepy Hollow and Almost Human doing well.

I can't believe Beauty and the Beast is a real show. CW is just terrible.

Best part is where the beast is basically a GQ model who has one or two scars on his face.

Also, Kristin Kreuk as a tough street-wise detective.

• Like 2

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/01/14/monday-final-tv-ratings-intelligence-mom-the-bachelor-adjusted-up/229138/

Intelligence went from doing a 2.4 to a 1.2, which is one of the biggest drops from a pilot to second episode ever.

I thought the show looked a bit ridiculous. Hard to believe CBS picked it over NCIS: Red and Beverly Hills Cop.

That sucks, I was actually kinda digging Intelligence.

That sucks, I was actually kinda digging Intelligence.

In fairness, it did have a tough deal: it's going up against The Blacklist and Castle, and CBS just randomly switched the night.

I think Josh Holloway can be a big star, he just needs the right vehicle.

Why not?  She was Oscar-worthy as Chun Li!

Kristin Kreuk is just awful. I don't think it's a coincidence Smallville got 100 times better after she left. I don't know why they keep putting her in things when 1) she can't really act 2) has no charisma or presence whatsoever.

Why not?  She was Oscar-worthy as Chun Li!

Not to mention all those years where she was unfairly ignored at the Emmys for her spectacular work on Smallville...

(More seriously, she's part of one of my all-time favorite scenes in a movie.  She has no bearing on why I love the scene so much, but she's there...)

Even odder is that the characters he does are funny on podcasts like Comedy Bang Bang, but pretty horrible on the show.  I watched some of his Comedy Central special and that wasn't very good either.  I think he is only good when someone else is writing the material and/or he has someone else to work off of/tell him his ideas suck.