DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

For those of you who have lost faith in television now that it's golden age is so clearly over.  Take Heart.  Watch the following and remember the perfection that the medium is capable of:

If you thought for just a moment that you saw Gary Busey dancing around in a doctor's outfit...you were RIGHT!!!!  He's the wacky school doctor!!!!!  There's a certain special moment when laziness and inspiration converge and the outcome is the same either way.  I call it the sweet spot.

Somehow, in the last week, I watched the Golden Globes, the Critic's Choice Awards and the SAG awards and I didn't see Bill Bellamy or Jon Lovitz anywhere.  Whatever, I can wait for the BET awards just fine.

If you're wondering if they have a version of screech...they do...His name is Milton:

article_2421147_1_BD70964000005_DC_686_6

...and he's pretty great.

• Like 1

I was too lazy to change the channel after the NFC Championship game last night so I got sucked into watching The Following. I haven't seen any of the first season but I guess I'll add it to my queue and binge-watch it (it's on Netflix) even though watching the season premiere kinda gave away the ending to S1. I don't watch any of the myriad serial killer shows mentioned earlier in this thread but I thought it was quite good and creepy.

Even though the new serial-killer baddie in S2 is doing the most obvious Christian Bale in American Psycho impersonation ever. 

Girls is an awesome show and I'm excited for its return on Sunday. Yeah, I said it.

It's a steaming pile of shit and would be the worst thing on TV, if Newsroom did not exist.

Never has there been such a an utterly unlikable group of characters put together in one setting.  Seriously, every single character on that show is a self serving miserable fucking human being who deserves to fall into a volcano. 

I have no idea why I've seen every episode.  Seriously, every episode I watch, I question myself the entire time.  I feel like one of those guys that religiously watches Raw then goes on and on about how awful it is. 

Girls is an awesome show and I'm excited for its return on Sunday. Yeah, I said it.

It's a steaming pile of shit and would be the worst thing on TV, if Newsroom did not exist.

Never has there been such a an utterly unlikable group of characters put together in one setting.  Seriously, every single character on that show is a self serving miserable fucking human being who deserves to fall into a volcano. 

I have no idea why I've seen every episode.  Seriously, every episode I watch, I question myself the entire time.  I feel like one of those guys that religiously watches Raw then goes on and on about how awful it is. 

I feel the same way about the show Californication.

So what's the deal with Newsroom?  I have friends who are absolutely in love with the show, but then I see people who loathe it.  I've never seen an episode, but I've been curious about the division.

Good first season trailer, terrible everything after that.

A small correction, sir.

Yeah, it was an amazing trailer, even a great first episode, and it set itself up to be a current version of Network. Instead, it turned into a steaming pile of bullshit based around "will they or won't they" relationships, the worst of which involving a horrible Amanda Pill.

The rest of the season is garbage, with everyone in Will's newsroom being the smartest people in the world and the only people to ever get stories right. The last couple episodes were actually pretty good and once again make it look like it's Will and Sam Waterson's character against the world, doing whatever the fuck they want to give it to people straight. That is completely undone with the first episode of the second season where the nuts are cut off of each character with a dull pizza cutter.

It isn't as egregiously bad as Dexter, but it's head is so far up it's ass.

Veep does everything the Newsroom wishes it could do and it does it a million times better than the Newsroom wishes it could be.

I'm with you about how unlikable the whole cast is, but I watch to see if: Adam ends up nailing one of Hannah's friends and to see the if there is more to Ray than his constant pessimism.  As for Adam, for all his quirks, he makes the most sense...even if he is a fucking oddball.

BTW, I could live a much more fufilled life is I never have to see Lena Dunham's dirty pillows again.

Seinfeld?

• Like 1

The Thick of It is still my favorite politically-themed show.  I blew through like three seasons in one night on Hulu.  Malcom Tucker is freaking magnetic.

I have only seen the season they showed on BBC America, but I agree Malcom is a god amongst men. . . 

• Like 1

Hollywood Game Night: just another reminder of how Martin Short is easily my most despised comic. Until images of Dana Carvey start dancing in my brain.

Addendum: Given the toupee episode with George, it makes Jason Alexander's current "hair" that much more goddamn redonkulous.