DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Up to episode 12 of FNL season 1, was afraid by episode 8 that I cared about no one but Coach but now theres very few characters I don't care about.

Saracen, Smash and Jason Street im all interested in but above all else I want everything to go right for Riggins. Everything.

Saracen might be my favorite character in any show ever. Riggins is great too.

Saracen definitely has some all time awesome moments. He's so one note, which felt like a limitation of the actor, but it turned into him actually playing THAT KID many of us knew in school. Quiet. Meek. Lacking in self confidence. Seeing his character grow and mature throughout the show, including how he broke down into tears in front of Coach, was a real treat. You rarely see character growth like that. It's up there with Jesse and Walt's journey from Breaking Bad.

All this Friday Night Lights talk got me looking on Ebay for a "Clear Eyes" shirt or something similar. And my search turned up the companion book, which I didn't know existed. I ordered a copy this morning. I have a feeling I'll be binge watching the show again before too much longer.

Gonna order it myself.

Im on the back end of S1 now, cannot stop watching.

Andy Greenwald wrote a love letter to Lost yesterday.   Fuck the haters!

.http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/lost-legacy-ten-year-anniversary-abc/

Amazing article. I've been so busy reading other people's controversial opinions I've never bothered getting around to posting my own so I'm just going to state it here and people can retort over there if need be - I thought the finale was great.

/Still holding out hope for a Ben and Hugo reunion movie/miniseries somewhere down the line

• Like 2

I don't want to go down this rabbit hole again (or maybe I do since I'm making this post), but the last season of LOST was so damn dreadful.  Keep your finale arguments about the love of characters/reunions/and not getting it; it's not my favorite but the finale wasn't the real problem in my opinion.  That whole damn season....oh man, just had a Temple episode flashback...*shudders*

• Like 1

In and of itself, I was satisfied by the end of Lost. As part of the greater whole, though, it was very frustrating because of the lack of foreshadowing and set up over the show. They gave breadcrumbs to either red herrings or completely unrelated things and didn't set up the end at all. A lot of the earlier mysteries didn't connect or matter and given the way they twisted the scope, about 95% of the things that were important through the first five seasons or so ended up as footnotes or less. 

• Like 1

Yeah, they really screwed up with how they handled Locke. He was such an awesome character for the first season or two. Then they just ruined him. I also still wonder what would have been different if the actor playing Mr. Eko hadn't wanted to quit the show.

I think the lesson of LOST was simply not to overpromise. If they hadn't gone on every media outlet and claimed that they had answers for everything, I doubt you'd have people still pissed off because they never explained who was on the outrigger or whatever. Pretty much everything they said AFTER they got ripped for the ending is what they should've been saying all along.

I mean, Vince Gilligan was always completely transparent that they didn't even know what they were doing episode to episode, let alone season to season, on BREAKING BAD. They never explained how Brock was poisoned in the show, and nobody gives a fuck.

JUSTIFIED had no clue who Drew Thompson was when they set up that mystery that the whole season was built around.

Walt visited Brock and his mom and it's assumed Walt slipped Brock some of those berries. I don't recall them specifically saying that, but it was something they didn't need to because they could trust their viewers were smart enough to figure it out.

• Like 1

Once Upon a Time are doing a Frozen storyline now.

Obvious why did it, but I do feel bad for all the parents who've sat through the movie 3,000 times, thought the fuss was dying down, and now have to sit through the TV show religiously too.

I am watching About A Boy, which just popped up on Netflix.

I like it a lot. Jason Katsmis, who was behind a lot of the magic of FNL, is the main force behind this. The pilot episode was a really good condensed version of the film and the book. I really like the tone a lot -- it's light-hearted, with a good mix of goofiness and sentimentality. It's nowhere near as epic and sweeping as FNL, but it really doesn't need to be. The three main characters have really good chemistry and the kid who is the "boy" in question has some great timing for a young actor.

This is a fun show.

UPDATE

I've binge-watched the heck out of this tonight. I really need to get through it before Gilmore Girls takes over my life in a few days.

This show flies by in the best possible way.

It's really good-natured and sweet. It's also really simple. I like this. They have a good A-plot, a good B-plot, good laugh lines and scenes with good payoffs.

A lot of modern sitcoms get really lost in their premises. That's why I couldn't get into How I Met Your Mother. I love The Office (it's my favorite comedy ever), but the show's bad moments largely entailed the whole mockumentary style falling apart and all the awesome parts of the show came when it was character driven. About A Boy's all about the characters, and it's a joy.

I mean, Vince Gilligan was always completely transparent that they didn't even know what they were doing episode to episode, let alone season to season, on BREAKING BAD. They never explained how Brock was poisoned in the show, and nobody gives a fuck.

Season two was the one season that he did know what the end result was going to be, and I think it made for the weakest season of the series as a result.  Sometimes you end up handcuffing the writing when you have an end point and you just HAVE to work your way to that point.

I finished Bojack Horseman the other night. Man that was some top notch writing on the show even with the absurdity of the world that it's in. The best episode of the season might be episode 11 (The drug fueled revelation).

The scene where Bojack is seeing his life had he gone with the girl to Maine and is with his daughter growing up. Man that was pretty damn powerful for an otherwise dark comedy

Episode five is a close second for me.

A family of druken vietnamese Boston redsox fans. The chum bit had me laughing so hard

The whole show is great. It's amazing how under the radar this show was. Best part is Aaron Paul playing a more exagerated version of Jesse Pinkman.