DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Currently playing (not all at once, obviously)

3DS - Pushmo

Dreamcast - Border Down

DS - Pokemon Black 2

PC - Brutal Legend

Playstation 2 - Tekken Tag Tournament

Playstation 3: The Last of Us

Wii: Rayman Origins

Just wanted to get off my chest that I am having the gaming time of my fucking life.

• Like 1

IGN's review of Alien Isolation is up: 5.9

That franchise just can't get a good game made.

Some caveats about IGN's review:

1) The reviewer admits to playing the game on Hard Mode. Then it complains about the game not being very good (well, reviewer play it on Easy Mode like all the other game reviewers).

2) The reviewer is also the same person that really enjoyed Titanfall for their preview saying stuff like "it's too much for my eyeballs." He also seems to be trying to please Microsoft (for a job there maybe?)

3) It's IGN. They slap scores on games after playing it for maybe 30 minutes to an hour tops.

What I've been doing is using the "Live From PlayStation" feature to watch streams of this and DriveClub. Based on what I've seen of both: Wait on getting those games.

That's all pretty ridiculous...

3DS - Pushmo

Dreamcast - Border Down

DS - Pokemon Black 2

PC - Brutal Legend

Just wanted to get off my chest that I am having the gaming time of my fucking life.

I need to find the time to game like that.

Mulling over taking the plunge once and for all into Mother 3.  My console gaming is limited because we only have one TV in the apartment and most of the stuff I want to play is the stuff I don't want my soon-to-be-four-year-old to watch.  I STILL have an assload of PSone Originals I ganked for 99 cents a pop to play...

I'm possibly the biggest Mother 3 fan in the world but if you're short on time you've got to stick to games that value yours. Cast a suspicious eye over anything that has decided to include experience points and no MMOs, JRPGs or open worlders period. Pokemon Black 2 breaks that rule considerably in my case, but I see it less as a game and more as a colourful screensaver to retreat into for soothing ten minute bursts when things get stressful.

3DS - Pushmo

Dreamcast - Border Down

DS - Pokemon Black 2

PC - Brutal Legend

I need to find the time to game like that.

Mulling over taking the plunge once and for all into Mother 3.  My console gaming is limited because we only have one TV in the apartment and most of the stuff I want to play is the stuff I don't want my soon-to-be-four-year-old to watch.  I STILL have an assload of PSone Originals I ganked for 99 cents a pop to play...

I don't have much time to game lately (or really over the past year or so).  I finally beat the first Dragon Age after about 6 months and am now trying in vain to go through the backlog pn my PS3's hard drive due to all the sales on PSN.  Strated up Bioshock Infinite, which I am really digging so far.  I have Alien: Isolation coming in the mail - first new disc based game I've gotten since Christmas - wanted to get the bonus level with the original cast, so I preordered it.

Most of my gaming is done on my long bus commute - really enjoying FIFA 15, they pretty much overhauled the controls and it's much better than last year's version.

I'm possibly the biggest Mother 3 fan in the world but if you're short on time you've got to stick to games that value yours. Cast a suspicious eye over anything that has decided to include experience points and no MMOs, JRPGs or open worlders period. Pokemon Black 2 breaks that rule considerably in my case, but I see it less as a game and more as a colourful screensaver to retreat into for soothing ten minute bursts when things get stressful.

Well, that sucks because most of the games I'm trying to play are jRPGs (trying to find the memory card with my data so I can start on disc 3 and FINALLY beat Final Fantasy VII after owning it for 17 years). I don't touch MMOs (a rule I imposed on myself years ago before wife and kids because I know I have no willpower), and I have a backlist on Evernote, but I forget what most of it is.

And to answer Lamp; she's not at the point of reading full sentences, so I should be OK.

I don't know what that "games that value your time" comment has to do with Mother 3. Sure it takes a while (I seem to remember a clear time of 40-50 hours?) but every single thing I saw leaves some strange little mark on me. That little tombstone man in my avatar is a Mother 3 enemy. Like, I've ranted about story in games before and how useless it seems. It's because Mother 3 is SO good about how it implements it's story into it's mechanics that I feel it's the right way forwards and it's infuriating to see game after game after game pass it by, thinking it knows the way forwards when they've been outdone. It's like watching someone fail to use a door over and over while proclaiming they know the future of portals into buildings. Dude. Just... pull, don't push. Fuck, there's one indie game recently (not going to name names because it's a tremendous spoiler) that got enormous acclaim for using one of the things Mother 3 did. Enormous! Metacritic score in the 90s! Big developer interviews! All sorts of gushy pull quotes! All over ONE of Mother 3's tricks.

Play Mother 3, it's the best.

Also, a quick tip on grinding: When you die, you keep all experience accrued like an MMO. However, you do not keep your used items. So just go until you run out of healing spells, and then go until you run out of health. NEVER use items on anything but bosses.

• Like 1

IGN's review of Alien Isolation is up: 5.9

That franchise just can't get a good game made.

That seems odd when every other review I've seen has been a high scorer and a universal acknowledgement that it's the best use of a licence since Arkham City. Only criticism I've seen of it is it runs too long

For don't-have-enough-time-for-games people, howlongtobeat.com may be a valuable resource.

Super Ape, with this new context of you having an interest in JRPGs, I shall switch my advice to Play Mother 3. It and its predecessor are the only Dragon Quest formula games I rate as good enough to recommend people play. I pushed a friend into playing through M3 once and at the end I can't say our relationship emerged unscathed from him having been pressured to play through thirty plus hours of mainly selecting 'Fight' from a menu, but ignore that guy. Mother 3 is the best that selecting fight from a menu can get, and irrefutably special. Would love to hear your thoughts (me and BL88 have made your decision for you you can thank us later).

Speaking of great games, from my little list above Pushmo, Border Down and Tekken Tag Tournament are going straight into my personal top 50 of all time.

Finally got around to beating Persona 4.  I know a lot of people consider it to be the best of the Persona series I feel like it comes in a solid second behind Persona 2 Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment.  I mean yes in terms of the combat system the newer Persona games are better and the ability to control all your party members makes 4 tops; but story wise I think Persona 2 trumps 4 handily.  It also doesn't help that both games have serial killers as a part of the plot, drawing some comparisons.  

That's not to say I didn't enjoy the game, it was a fun and somewhat challenging game to play. As opposed to Persona 3 where I pretty much had my favorite party from the start, I actually liked all the characters in four and had to ponder whom to choose for my party.  The social links on a whole seemed more interesting then 3s, but that could just be because they are fresher in my mind.

So now it's time to dip into my massive RPG backlog and find something else to play.

Since all of Gameloft's Marvel games use the same McGuffin (Iso-8) as RMT currency, I eagerly await the revelation that Osborn's plan in Spidey Unlimited was actually to steal it all so he could get free shit in Avengers Alliance and/or Marvel Puzzle Quest.

• Like 1

Alien Isolation scares the hell out of me! I've got the tightest of clenched cheeks playing it, the atmosphere is incredible.

I'm not even sure I can run this bad boy but it *looks* cool anyway.

It would be a good idea to give it a shot though it would be a bad idea if it didn't work out.

I can only play for like 30 minutes before I get worn out by the intensity and nothing has even happened yet! Publilius Syrus Steven Seagal had it right, "the anticipation of death is worse than death itself."

Yeah, dude, for whatever reason (maybe the jump in graphics) more recent games are all requiring 35-50+ gigs of space. I'm having to install games off of my SSD unless I wanted to have maybe one or two installed at a time.