DVDVR Message Board

Talk Is Jericho

BrianS81177

I caught about 40 minutes of that. I think that Steph and Jericho are about equally real as human beings and because of that, they can relate to one another and actually make one another seem more Not-Horribly-Freakish. It's like watching a couple of extras from Blade Runner talk to one another in the background. Or the aliens from V.

• Like 1

It was pretty much a fluff piece where they mainly went down memory lane.  No real hard-hitting questions, unless you count wanting Rousey for next year and AJ calling her out on Twitter. She came across as a really beautiful mom who is so damn nice.  It was the least political she's sounded which is nice.  But if one's looking for hard-hitting questions, this is definitely skippable.  Really wish Stone Cold was doing these, but what can you do.

Wearing a tie with a short sleeved shirt is terrible and Jericho should feel terrible.

It was a long sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Which is totally acceptable. I don't know why that is, for some reason a tie with short sleeves isn't , but that's just another weird thing culture has created in our minds that really shouldn't be something anyone gives a shit about.

It was pretty much a fluff piece where they mainly went down memory lane.  No real hard-hitting questions, unless you count wanting Rousey for next year and AJ calling her out on Twitter. She came across as a really beautiful mom who is so damn nice.  It was the least political she's sounded which is nice.  But if one's looking for hard-hitting questions, this is definitely skippable.  Really wish Stone Cold was doing these, but what can you do.

He pretty much said on a podcast after the Cena one that these aren't meant to be and never would be hard-hitting interviews.

That is true.  But Steve was able to grill Vince just enough but found a way to make him comfortable in the process.  I guess I've been spoiled by the Vince and HHH interviews, because those were much more revealing and entertaining.  With Jericho's I fell asleep through the Cena one and was more interested in how Steph looked and sounded than anything she actually said.  If people like these then great, I just prefer Steve's approach.

He pretty much said on a podcast after the Cena one that these aren't meant to be and never would be hard-hitting interviews.

That's probably the crux of why it's Jericho getting the interviews and not Austin. I can see Austin telling them to blow smoke up their ass when they asked him to do easy interviews. 

Austin doesn't push anyone on their answers but he at least listens to what people are interested in and asks about those things.

Most of that sounded like Jericho trying to remind Steph and us what great friends they are.  It was like the high school football captain interviewing the prom queen in the school newspaper and asking about all those great parties they went to last year..and was about as interesting to anyone who's not them.

As an interviewer, Jericho is basically Larry King with better teeth.  They both wear stupid clothes and they are both there to let us know what great friends they are with famous people.

I think there's some value in doing them with people who we don't get to hear from often. If he did one with Michaels, for instance, or Foley, it'd be a bit of a waste. On some level every interview with Cena is interesting because they're so few. 

The chances of Stephanie ever being interviewed by Austin were slim, no matter what.  She has a strong relationship with Jericho, so it stands to reason he'd be the one to interview her.

I thought the talk about Shane was insightful in what could be read between the lines--that he just said FUCK IT to WWE and started doing his own thing.  And seems happier for it.  That Shane nicknamed Steph Vincess is somewhat telling.

I watched most of the show last night. I think I missed the first 10 minutes or so. Stephanie does come off as a very nice person, but man that whole interview just felt so contrived. I guess that's what Jericho goes for with his style. I kinda got a good laugh about her saying she wants to give the diva's a chance. We all realize that if any of the NXT women come up to RAW, they will be told right off the bat anything you did down there you can forget about up here.

I would have liked Jericho to ask her about the Brie match a bit more though. Stephanie as a wrestler was never anything more than hair pulls, slams, and slaps. In the Summerslam match she was busting out all kinds of arm drags and stuff. Who was the miracle worker who did that. Also the thought of in maybe another 15 years, her oldest daughter wrestling was interesting. Princess Aurora might be a bigger heel than her mom.

Every time I get annoyed at Jericho's douchey intros I go back and watch this and remember why he's the guy that brought me back into wrestling in high school, why I can never hate this guy, and why I still wear my WCW Monday Jericho shirt 17 years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpNmTNkuYQA

And his interviews are fantastic. 

• Like 4

Best part was Jericho saying she looked like a deer in headlights when she first came in and the look she gave him. He moved on with a quickness.

Exactly.  If Jericho was getting the death glare for stuff like that, there's no way Steph would have sat through an interview with Austin.

The Rousey stuff was actually where I stopped watching. It was just sort of painful how non-kayfabe it was. I guess it's like this. It's okay to talk about something that happened in the past, but to talk about something that might happen in the future just feels messed up.

Stephanie's so polished and experienced in answering questions, especially given her current role, that I'm not sure anyone would have gotten anything more out of her.

This is what she does now for the company. She goes out, bullshits people, and networks.

• Like 1

As an interviewer, Jericho is basically Larry King with better teeth.  They both wear stupid clothes and they are both there to let us know what great friends they are with famous people.

I haven't actually listened to the Larry King episode but I imagine the conversation went something like:

"Sandy Koufax"

"Gene Simmons"

"Sandy Koufax"

"Slash"

"Sandy Koufax"

"Sebastian Bach" 

I think I prefer Jericho to Austin, for these things. Austin came off as too intense, and  always seemed to be too intent on getting in the big question, so it killed the flow of the interviews. 

I just watched the whole interview. It was actually pretty interesting and I found it very enjoyable. It was nice to learn more about Stephanie as a person. She seems like she'd be a great person to sit down and have a conversation with.