DVDVR Message Board

Talk Is Jericho

BrianS81177

I'm just going to leave this here: 

"A lot of people might think “well Billy is not from the wrestling business, how can he be a booker? How can he be a writer?” Let me give you one name if you’re a hockey fan…Scotty Bowman. Scotty Bowman is the greatest coach in NHL history and he never played an NHL game in his life. So if Scotty comes to coach you team you’re going to go “he never played a game, what does he know?” It’s stupid."

That is a pretty awful analogy.

Why? Serious question. (Aside from the fact that it ignores Bowman played minor-league hockey for a few years until an injury forced him into early retirement.) Saying that Corrigan will inevitably fail because "he's not a wrestling guy" is just dumb.

...he's gonna fail because 1.it's TNA, and 2.most bookers fail. This is an industry in which it has grown increasingly impossible for anyone but the WWE to actually turn a profit, and the vast majority of the larger rassling companies over the past two decades have been propped up by outside investors.

I knew a girl once in high school who claimed to have fucked Billy Corgan. No one really believed her, then a few years later I saw her and she asked me if I knew who Chris Jericho was. This was like 1997, right after HS. I was like sure. Turns out she fucked him too. She is briding the gap here. Also, no one believed her, but then she claime to have fucked both brothers from that band the Proclaimers. Se had pics of her and her friend making out with them, so after that we all assumed her whole list was true. She was really nice, and not promiscuous at all, but just liked fucking famous dudes. It was kind of her thing. Anyway........

Did she walk 500 miles to fuck The Proclaimers?

• Like 3

That is a pretty awful analogy.

Why? Serious question. (Aside from the fact that it ignores Bowman played minor-league hockey for a few years until an injury forced him into early retirement.) Saying that Corrigan will inevitably fail because "he's not a wrestling guy" is just dumb.

...he's gonna fail because 1.it's TNA, and 2.most bookers fail. This is an industry in which it has grown increasingly impossible for anyone but the WWE to actually turn a profit, and the vast majority of the larger rassling companies over the past two decades have been propped up by outside investors.

It's an awful analogy because it presumes Corgan will be as successful just because he came from a different background, like Bowman. It also appears as if you think I believe Corgan will fail, which is not the case. He has as good of a shot as anyone else. It's also a bad analogy because the conditions and environment couldn't be more different.

It doesn't presume he'll be successful, it's an irritated counter against the people who presume he won't be successful because he's not "a wrestling guy" (which also ignores all the time he's spent hanging around the business, various little interactions he's had with wrestling, and oh yeah promoting his own indy fed too).

At this point is there any unpopular opinion Jericho won't vehemently defend?

At this point, is there anything Jericho says which this thread won't vehemently attack? This overwhelmingly consistent hatred recently is awfully damn weird, guys. I don't see anything like this at other wrestling boards.

I don't really get it either. Like, the guy is doing what he wants to do. We all should be so lucky. I will admit that sometimes I find Jericho a little crotchety, like when he thinks that NO ONE saw the top rope RKO coming despite that spot being done before, originally with Evan Borne, or some other thing that happened recently. Despite that, I don't see how Jericho is having a mid-life crisis. He's been performing with Fozzy for years and years now. He also realizes that the wrestling and music thing won't go on forever, hence him taking acting classes and getting acting gigs. This is what his line of work is. We all know this, just like we all know what his goofy personality is like. To me, Jericho is like a relative who you thought was funny as a kid or teenager. As years go on, you realize he's doing the same tired ass jokes and that does get a little old. I get an "ok, hah hah, you did the pull my finger thing again, funny" type feeling by what he does now. So I wind up just skipping past the show opening stuff. I do the same with Austin's podcast too. Like, you know what the format of the podcast is, so just skip past the opener and get to the interview section. It's usually 15 minutes in.

I also listened to his interview with Billy Corgan and neither guy sounded insecure. The ONE time Corgan cut off Jericho, Corgan said, "sorry, I don't mean to cut you off..." and then he went on with his explanation of whatever it was. Corgan just sounded really excited and passionate and couldn't stop himself. Corgan has a good mind for the business, but it's akin to a young visionary thinking he's going to get into politics to change the system. That just isn't going to happen unless you own the company you work for. Ultimately, it's Dixie's operation and she's going to have the final say. Corgan is just going to get chewed up and spit out like everyone else. Same would happen if he worked for WWE. I sat there though, listening to how excited he was at this opportunity, not even realizing how fucked of a situation he's getting himself into. As much of a perfectionist and control freak Corgan is, I can't see him lasting long once his ideas get vetoed over and over again.

Yeah Jingus, we're really all attacking Jericho. For fucks sake...

I like Jerichos podcast and I hope Corgan succeeds. It's just a dumb argument. Bowman was a coach, not a player. When he made it to the nhl he had over a decade of coaching experience. What difference does it make if he didn't play?

TNA put a superfan with very little experience in a position of power. It's not comparable.

I'm just going to leave this here: 

"A lot of people might think “well Billy is not from the wrestling business, how can he be a booker? How can he be a writer?” Let me give you one name if you’re a hockey fan…Scotty Bowman. Scotty Bowman is the greatest coach in NHL history and he never played an NHL game in his life. So if Scotty comes to coach you team you’re going to go “he never played a game, what does he know?” It’s stupid."

The thing that jumped out about this to me - when Jericho threw a hissy fit after the IWC said a match he had with RVD was shit. The main crux of his whinging was that we'd never been in the ring and how could we accurately comment on it... Yeah.

I knew a girl once in high school who claimed to have fucked Billy Corgan. No one really believed her, then a few years later I saw her and she asked me if I knew who Chris Jericho was. This was like 1997, right after HS. I was like sure. Turns out she fucked him too. She is briding the gap here. Also, no one believed her, but then she claime to have fucked both brothers from that band the Proclaimers. Se had pics of her and her friend making out with them, so after that we all assumed her whole list was true. She was really nice, and not promiscuous at all, but just liked fucking famous dudes. It was kind of her thing. Anyway........

Did she walk 500 miles to fuck The Proclaimers?

This post deserves all the likes.

Regarding Corgan and TNA, I would direct everybody to Stone Cold's 2nd part of the Shane Douglas interview.  Shane pretty much said that any ideas he had fell on deaf ears despite being proven right.  I'm not saying Douglas is the same guy as Corgan, but considering who's been in and out of TNA in similar roles it's a little concerning.  The only real difference with Corgan is due to the surprising mainstream coverage they feel they have to at least try to listen.

• Like 1

It doesn't presume he'll be successful, it's an irritated counter against the people who presume he won't be successful because he's not "a wrestling guy" (which also ignores all the time he's spent hanging around the business, various little interactions he's had with wrestling, and oh yeah promoting his own indy fed too).

At this point, is there anything Jericho says which this thread won't vehemently attack? This overwhelmingly consistent hatred recently is awfully damn weird, guys. I don't see anything like this at other wrestling boards.

When Jericho became a whiny bitch who can't take any criticism at all, I stopped respecting him.

Plus, his monologue portions of the podcast has revealed the guy is the least funny man alive.

When Jericho became a whiny bitch who can't take any criticism at all, I stopped respecting him.

Plus, his monologue portions of the podcast has revealed the guy is the least funny man alive.

I had assumed he was being cheesy on purpose, like most mid 40 yr. olds. I could be wrong...

Also, no one believed her, but then she claime to have fucked both brothers from that band the Proclaimers.  Se had pics of her and her friend making out with them, so after that we all assumed her whole list was true. 

How did she know she'd fucked both of the Proclaimers? She could easily have just fucked one of them two times and not realised.

• Like 2