DVDVR Message Board

AEW 5/8 - 5/14/2024 - I've Got My Spine, I've Got My Orange Crush

Follow me, don't follow me...

What happens when you lose a Best Friend?

d25b02f9c3ec62416cc29566d2469b3d.jpg

You just go get a new one!  

Collar me, don't collar me! ...indeed. 

Spoiler

The road to Las Vegas continues...

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Kenny Omega taking a page from Tony Khan's book with an important announcement.

Can see either:

• A retirement tease.
  • A non sanctioned match as he's "not cleared but won't sue AEW."
  • Anarchy in the Arena or Blood and Guts which is insane if he's not healthy/100%. He'll want to go all out and not half ass it.
Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

For the record, I think it would be hysterical for the newly 40 year old Orange Cassidy to turn heel by going complete suburban dad.  Complaining about the kids these days, his HOA's stupid regulations, and wearing polos and Dockers to wrestle in.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

For the record, I think it would be hysterical for the newly 40 year old Orange Cassidy to turn heel by going complete suburban dad.  Complaining about the kids these days, his HOA's stupid regulations, and wearing polos and Dockers to wrestle in.  

I feel like someone could make a bunch of money on the indies with a "Bluey's Dad" gimmick right now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is last week's stuff, but did I see Jay White (and the rest of of Gang Bang Gang) come out with THREE different titles, not just the ROH and AEW Trios Titles? Did my eyes deceive me, or what have I missed?

17 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

This is last week's stuff, but did I see Jay White (and the rest of of Gang Bang Gang) come out with THREE different titles, not just the ROH and AEW Trios Titles? Did my eyes deceive me, or what have I missed?

I noticed that, too!  It looks like the other set of belts is the original AEW trios belts that were used before the custom Acclaimed belts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Can see either:

• A retirement tease.
  • Anarchy in the Arena or Blood and Guts which is insane if he's not healthy/100%. He'll want to go all out and not half ass it.

Since they're going all worked-shoot with this another option is they announce that they're handing the matter off to the disciplinary committee and this starts the build to Danielson/Okada III at Wembley.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Since they're going all worked-shoot with this another option is they announce that they're handing the matter off to the disciplinary committee and this starts the build to Danielson/Okada III at Wembley.

Good shout. Be interesting who gets Bryan Danielson at All In. I think it's one of:

• Nigel McGuinness.
  • Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Kazuchika Okada.
  • Kenny Omega.
  • Will Ospreay.

I'm thinking it will be Nigel McGuinness and if it's not Nigel, Zack Sabre Jr. You could do Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay II but it'll be Swerve Strickland vs. Will Ospreay for the AEW World Championship.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I feel like someone could make a bunch of money on the indies with a "Bluey's Dad" gimmick right now.

Bandit (W)heeler Yuta?

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I wonder if the Woooo Energy sponsorship placement will be removed for at least this week.

Only in the Gainesville market. 

• Haha 2

Not going to the show tonight because doctor's appointments and general life shittiness have just overwhelmingly got in the way, but I can't imagine it's going to be a large crowd. The arena in Edmonton is beautiful but putting it smack in the middle of downtown makes actually going there a complete pain in the ass, on top of all the general "AEW doesn't actually market their next show that well" issues.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Not going to the show tonight because doctor's appointments and general life shittiness have just overwhelmingly got in the way, but I can't imagine it's going to be a large crowd. The arena in Edmonton is beautiful but putting it smack in the middle of downtown makes actually going there a complete pain in the ass, on top of all the general "AEW doesn't actually market their next show that well" issues.

it looks about the same as Winnipeg last week. Set up for 4200 and there were just less than 300 tickets left as of this morning

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Aren’t the Oilers away tonight?

Things I remember from this week episode of AEW Dynamite:

Orange and Trent had a match. That Orange backdrop over the rail was gnarly.

The Serena promo was all sorts of personal in front of people who couldn't give a fuck about it. Then Serena knocked out Toni.

Mariah May won a match. Her old friend comes back. Excalibur asked where Toni Storm was as if she didn't just get knocked out during the last segment. Kinda interesting to put Toni and Mariah in back to back segments with no interaction (they're gonna split them)

Kenny Omega has an idea for a match

Swerve brings his friends back. His friends immediately turn on him.

Chris Jericho being intentionally delusional is more fun than his stint being unintentionally delusional

Brody bleeds like a pig in a good match.

Here's Mercedes Mone for some season. She's pretty obviously going heel.

Kyle O'Reilly wants to wrestle Adam Copeland. The mention of Vancouver gets booed.

This show is just gonna end when the fuck ever.

Eddie Kingston and Danielson are in the big 8 man match. Well, that woke up the fans.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Whatever Gunn said "DEATH" had me rolling.

They added that little If Rocky Wins He Gets A Trios Shot wrinkle, which not only gave the match stakes but also made the outcome SLIGHTLY less obvious. AEW has a decently big problem with their crowds being able to figure out all the match outcomes so I quite appreciate when they do stuff like that.

I'm currently without cable but I assume the overrun was stalling for Inside The NBA and the end of Knicks vs. Pacers?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Can see either:

• A retirement tease.

Close. Right match but without Kenny Omega.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Pretty good show. Not sure I can suspend my disbelief enough to buy the young bucks as credible in a street fight scenario, or any scenario that goes beyond flippydoos and spot spamming, but I like everyone else in the match enough to give it a shot…

Bryan Danielson is the only wrestler to be in all three Anarchy in the Arena matches. Eddie Kingston and The Young Bucks are on two. This will be Kazuchika Okada, FTR and Jack Perry first.

• Like 4

Chris Jericho is fucking brilliant. I don’t think you can ever count him out. I was howling during his promo. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

It was a good show tonight. Saw The Mogul Embassy turning on Swerve coming a mile away. Also,  the Anarchy in the Arena match should be good. A little random with FTR teaming with Eddie and Bryan, but it should be a fun brawl.

Copeland vs. Brody was a fun bloody match. I was surprised to see Adam take a spike piledriver during the match, but he's been going all out in these matches anyway. So yeah a good show tonight.

Edited by Phantom Lord
  • Like 1

I was prepared to be underwhelmed by the Anarchy in the Arena mystery partners, but I think Eddie and Bryan are great choices. Eddie had some heat with them early on and of course lost his belt to Okada, and Danielson has a significant history with bad wrestling bosses.

I'm glad they acknowledged Christian working with the Bucks to explain how he jumped the line and that Swerve's shots at the Elite aren't going unnoticed.

The Trent/Orange stuff took some weird turns, but in a good way that keeps me interested in the story.

I'm not sure there's ever going to be any direction for the trios division, but Jay White looks like a boss carrying around those three belts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1