DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 4/29 - 5/5/2024 - Chadeness (Part I)

Well, it's Monday and we've got a draft to finish!  

So far, it looks like the biggest move is Bron Breakker moving to Raw as both shows were "defending their rosters".   This can also be read as Hunter "likes things how they are."

Anyway, after the draft, we have a new NXT Champion to celebrate as that Trick was whooped, but he pulled out a huge win over Ilja Dragunov  (who's name better be mentioned as a new draftee!).

And after all that, Backlash is coming to France!    Let's see how that goes.  You could say... it's an Enigma...

Spoiler

Enjoy the week! 

• Like 2

Hopefully this is a sign that The Unholy Union will get a shot at least on the Raw side of things.  The little bit that they did toward the end of their time on Smackdown seemed to suggest they might be dropping the more "witchy" aspects of their gimmick, so it'll be interesting to see how they're presented.

The Draft was one big nothing.  Most performers stayed where they were.  A couple cool NXT call ups.  But that was another issue.  Why would some of the obvious NXT prospects go undrafted?  If this is a shoot draft,  people like Trick Williams and Lola Vice are getting selected and probably pretty high. 

• Like 1

That draft was nothing special. It would have been more interesting if RAW could only pick from Smackdown and Smackdown from RAW. I agree with the notion that this was Triple H saying he's happy the way things are and didn't want to change them up too much.

The matches tonight were all right. Nothing too special. JD McDonagh deserves an award though for the post sell of getting hit by the three superbowl rings. I cracked up when they showed his head and there was an imprint of the rings. That's a nice touch.

But yeah this draft wasn't anything special.

• Like 1

Opening segment with Becky, Liv, & Nia was alright.

Gunther/Woods was good stuff. The finishing stretch in particular was some nice drama.

The whole Logan Paul/Judgement Day/Jey segment was a pinch long and kind of dumb though an enjoyable kind of dumb. Jey's reaction to JD getting hit by the Super Bowl rings was kind of perfect.

Dug Sami getting some vengeance on Gable before his match with Reed. The match with Reed was unsurprisingly good though it ended in another non-finish unfortunately. I assume we get a triple threat soon.

Candice/Maxxine was an alright showcase for Maxxine before Candice cheaped her to another victory with Indi's help.

The Drew/Punk segments were good fun.

Liv/Nia II was good. The Tiffy/Naomi appearances were nice surprises and continued the feud well. Curious to see if the upcoming title match stays a triple threat or if Nia turns it into a 4-way.

Awesome Truth vs. Otis/Tozawa was decent from what was shown. Dislike the match starting during commercials without picture-in-picture.

Judgement Day vs. Jey/Ricochet/Andrade was solid.

The Draft wasn't much segment wise outside of the Punk/Drew stuff, but I think the moves were generally good. Felt like both Raw and Smackdown got solid refreshes, especially the women's divisions which both needed. Apparently Dijak got moved to Raw post show so there is another NXT call up. Hopefully this run goes better for him than the last

Solid enough show though too long. Highlights were easily Gunther/Woods, Liv/Nia, and the Drew/Punk segments.

• Like 1

Last picks on Twitter

-Creeds/Ivy to Raw
-Vinci to Smackdown
-New Catch Republic to Raw
-Tegan Nox to Smackdown
-Dijak to Raw
-Apollo to Smackdown
-Kayden and Katana to Raw
-Nattie to Raw
-Oddysey Jones to Raw

I like New Catch Republic...but they are going to die a fast death on Raw without a mouthpiece...maybe Gable's new backup?

I think if Dijak got a similar build on Raw like his most recent run on NXT and allowed to show his personality, he could do well. 

I wonder what WWE's fascination is with trying to make Vinci a singles guy? It's the second time they've done it. Maybe he doesn't love being in Imperium anymore.

I completely forgot about Apollo. Haven't heard about/from him in forever. 

• Like 1

Surprised that no love/mention went to Dom and Liv coming out of the same room in the background of Cathy's interview with Jey. 

I enjoyed most of the actual moves as I feel like a lot of people that were struggling for time on Smackdown got moved over to Raw. Also got some nice splitting of feud partners with Legado/lWo, Pride/Testament, and Bayley/Damage Ctrl now being on separate brands. Also got the Dijak, Davenport, and Ilja moves I was expecting from the NXT side of things. The Lyra move was a bit surprising for me but at the very least it'll be a change for her.

Still only four matches going into Backlash, so I have to assume that some other matches need to be announced kinda quickly.

Edit: Just realized that there are 5 announced matches but still could use another match or two.

Edited by blitzkrieg
  • Like 1

Isn't it time that the draft is actually a draft and say you can draft from NXT or for people outside the WWE bubble (like Giulia or Jade, etc.), and the movement from Raw and Smackdown is trades or free agents?  Y'know, like real sports?

• Like 2

A relatively uneventful and pointless WWE Draft. I'm not sure they thought this through very well. Because the champions were protected this year, they had to preserve their feuds from Backlash as well. They should've waited and held the draft after Backlash.

52 minutes ago, madl said:

I mean, I know it’s a work and all, but Raw drafting Ricochet well before CM Punk makes no sense even in kayfabe,

People have feuded for less, and Rico/Punk could be a lot of fun in the fall.

1 hour ago, madl said:

I mean, I know it’s a work and all, but Raw drafting Ricochet well before CM Punk makes no sense even in kayfabe,

They had two different draft pools for Friday and Monday. Ricochet was available on Friday, Punk was available on Raw. Beyond that Punk went in th second round of Raw while Ricochet went in the third round of Smackdown.

• Thanks 1

The NXT drafts are always good to see because they seem to be shoots. I'm sure they aren't clued in to who's getting called up. I'm sure most expected Dragonov to get called up but even he didn't know for sure. 

I'm cool with not so much changes this year. It seems alot of times people get moved just because they feel they have to because it's a draft. It's alot of people injured right now anyway that they can account for after they get off the shelf. 

• Like 2

That Trick/Lahs segment didn't really lead anywhere and was mostly just the two flirting on live tv. Wasn't super long so I didn't mind it.

Oba/Ivar was a pretty solid meat slapping match. the return of Wes Lee post match was good to see. Didn't think he would pop up until September at the earliest.

Thea/Jacy was solid. I particularly dug that neckbreaker counter to Thea's back senton. Was nice to see Thea get the win, and the post match angle with Fallon was interesting. Fallon doesn't seem fully turned yet, but I hope that is where they are going as she has always felt misplaced as a face.

Good Brothers vs. Tyson/Tyriek was a decent showcase for the new guys.

Spears/Ridge was decent though I wish they would stop dragging this out and move forward with this story.

The setup for the Women's NA title match was nothing new, but I enjoyed it if only for Arianna Grace. Loved that she tried to stop the brawl as chaos erupted around her.

AOP vs. Axiom/Frazer was pretty solid though it felt like it ended just as it was about to shift to next gear.

I dug mostly dug Nattie/Lola. I thought the action was generally solid, and I dug how strikes were Lola's strength while ground game and submissions were Nattie's. The final stretch had some solid drama.

The final segment with Roxanne learning Chelsea Green was her next challenger was amusing. 

A step down from last week's show as I expected but still solid with the title matches and the Underground match mostly delivering. 

• Like 1

Fun fact:  If you dare not only cut cable but also Youtube when watching via the USA app you don't see any of the picture in picture.  It was all commercials for me so that's fun.  But from what I saw it was pretty solid.  I wished the title match was last night as last week had to have more loaded on it with the draft coming up.  Maybe if they started this two weeks before the draft it could put the title match on the second week where I feel it should be.  But fun show either way.

Aside from what was covered I'm going to miss face Fallon.  I thought they could have done a bit more towards a push for the title before she turned but hope they nail the explanation.