DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 4/8 - 4/14/2024 - The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

15 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Did everyone rightfully think the original version of Judgement Day was the absolute most DOA thing in years? Now Priest and Rhea are world champs. I think Judgment Day have been the past year or so the heart and soul of Raw — Rhea, tag champs, Dom’s awesomeness, etc. Well deserved for a stable that has clearly worked really hard with a lot of individual talent who know how to make each other shine as a group. Priest really looks like he’ll be a pretty good heel champ for a few months until they have a good face to put over. 

It is amazing how much better they got by ditching Edge and bringing in a then floundering, green as hell Dom Mysterio. At the time no one would view that as an upgrade but wrestling is odd like that sometimes.

• Like 3

NXT's opening segment was fine. Tatum turning on Lyra was unexpected but not bad. Will say that the reactions Lyra got here continue to confirm she needs a change from what she is. Roxanne may have just been heeling a month or two back when she said the fans would turn on Lyra when she lost the belt, but they have rung true in the end based on reactions from tonight's crowd. Enjoyed Nattie's challenge and Ava coming out to confirm the title match if only for Roxanne's reaction to each.

Kiana/Izzi vs. Fallon/Kelani was pretty solid. All four women work pretty well together and brought on some nice action. Kelani is a solid FIP and had plenty of great offense for comebacks with her crazy athleticism. Will be interesting to see who here ends up in the NA title tournament.

Scrypts/Evans was shockingly fun, a great debut for Evans, and probably Scrypts best match in NXT.

Roxanne/Nattie was good thought the finish could have been a little stronger with Vice's interference.

Stacks/Luca vs. Kemp/Borne was fine while it lasted. 

Parker/Reece was a match, nothing standout.

The Oba/Ivar segment wa salright. I'm all for Oba vs. Ivar.

Wolfdogs vs. Frazer/Axiom was another great match. I'm going to be sad if this is the last of Bron & Corbin as a team. they are so damn good. The Final Testament appearance/attack post match was surprising. It feels like a bit of a step back which Kross probably deserves, but AOP really don't

Final segment with Trick and Ilja was fine. Good with Trick/Melo in a cage and Trick/Ilja II for the belt over the next two weeks'. Hopefully these are effectively farewell matches for Ilja & Melo. Neither have anything to really achieve in NXT. 

Two strong title matches, a great debut for Je'Von Evans, and the earlier women's tag made for pretty solid show even if other parts were on the weaker side.

• Like 1

I think it's really interesting that NXT's next Archie Double Digest is (a) only 2 weeks after S.A.D. and (b) making a Draft Sandwich--the first half will be 4/23, then the Draft on 4/26 and 4/29, then Spring Breakin' II: Electric Underpants on 4/30, leaving us with the suspense of whether certain people will get called up or sent down in between.

Show was pretty good, though I know I'm easier on it than many of you. I liked both title matches, the final segment and Je'Von Evans's debut quite a bit, and Dijak getting angry at Meta 4 for dressing as him and invading his torture closet/office made me smile, and the other 2 tag matches were at least fun.

I had forgotten about Rizzo's blackmail material, that felt like it was eight months ago (I think it was February.)

Yeah I am confused by Thea Hail reaction to what was in the blackmail material.  Is she mad at herself for realizing that her angry and wild child phase and whining about chase was stupid?  Chase betting on Thea but throwing in the towel because her health was more important than well the university is kind of awkwardly noble.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Yeah I am confused by Thea Hail reaction to what was in the blackmail material.  Is she mad at herself for realizing that her angry and wild child phase and whining about chase was stupid?  Chase betting on Thea but throwing in the towel because her health was more important than well the university is kind of awkwardly noble.

By betting enough money to sink the school, the literal most important thing in Thea's life, he (a) risked her future and dozens if not hundreds of others to enrich himself financially, (b) made it her responsibility to save the school without knowing it was even at risk, (c) took it upon himself to lose the school FOR her by throwing in the towel against Stratton out of guilt and fear, and (d) all of those things led to her falling in with Jacy, who fucked with her head for giggles.

Of course, this wasn't an intentional arc for either of them (it's backfill and apophenia,) and ascribing genuine humanity to such goofy one-note characters is giving the writers too much credit, but this is way more dark than when we thought he'd lost it all on craps and horse racing and shit. Andre never acted from a place of malice, but even with such a goofy story that would be a lot to ask someone so naive and trusting to forgive on the spot. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

NXT's opening segment was fine. Tatum turning on Lyra was unexpected but not bad. Will say that the reactions Lyra got here continue to confirm she needs a change from what she is. Roxanne may have just been heeling a month or two back when she said the fans would turn on Lyra when she lost the belt, but they have rung true in the end based on reactions from tonight's crowd. 

Do you think the crowd's reaction would have been different had Lyra passed out in the hold instead of tapping on Saturday?

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

By betting enough money to sink the school, the literal most important thing in Thea's life, he (a) risked her future and dozens if not hundreds of others to enrich himself financially, (b) made it her responsibility to save the school without knowing it was even at risk, (c) took it upon himself to lose the school FOR her by throwing in the towel against Stratton out of guilt and fear, and (d) all of those things led to her falling in with Jacy, who fucked with her head for giggles.

Of course, this wasn't an intentional arc for either of them (it's backfill and apophenia,) and ascribing genuine humanity to such goofy one-note characters is giving the writers too much credit, but this is way more dark than when we thought he'd lost it all on craps and horse racing and shit. Andre never acted from a place of malice, but even with such a goofy story that would be a lot to ask someone so naive and trusting to forgive on the spot. 

it's also paternalistic, and a big part of Thea's character since the towel was thrown in has been asserting her independence. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, worldcupfever said:

Do you think the crowd's reaction would have been different had Lyra passed out in the hold instead of tapping on Saturday?

Possibly, but Lyra's issues have always been more character related than anything else. The reactions she has gotten on major shows twice now were apathy or straight up boos because the heel she faced was far more popular (Stratton) and, in Roxanne's case, more likable/understandable. Those fighting spirit type of losses work best when they crowd is already behind you to some degree.

• Like 1

How on earth do ppl sit thru 3 hour Raw broadcasts? Curious to see if the new brand tagline the 'Paul Levesque Era' makes it passed this Janel Grant court case. So much to skip on this show. No way am I watching Triple H talk. Nor Cody. I stop for the Rock, but seems like he's best to take that break and refresh. Haha, the belts swap! So Rocky bloodys Cody a week ago, but they're sorta cool with one another now? Dubya Dubya E! Really dug Dragunov v Nakamura even with the criminally short time they received. Shinsuke looked as good here as I've seen him. This roster could really use Ilia being regularly featured. I'm not entirely confident he'll be used well tho. Ugh, I just don't give a shit about another drippy Judgment Day promo. I stop for the Truth comedy. The Universe is happy to do as they're told and so cheers for the Miz! I skipped most of Miz/Truth/Cena v Judgment Day. Miz/Truth are an awful tag team. Glad FTR weren't duped by big money into coming back to this shitty tag division. Speaking of awful, John Cena! Is the idea that his kinda hilarious haircut and lame act is so bad it's good? Bronson Reed promo was good as per usual. Goddamn that NJPW run was too short. Ripley/Morgan brawl was pretty wild. I skimmed Roxanne Perez v Indi Hartwell. Perez seems like a real bluechipper. I skimmed Sami Zayn/Kaiser/Vinci interview. Ugh, even Zayn is all drippy. Zayn/Gable v Vinci/Kaiser was fine. Vinci/Kaiser are good, but have negative credibility. Dying for Gable to jump to AEW. Making the Draft out to be something important feels like an insult. I just can't fathom why anybody could possibly give a shit? The Universe believes in the Levesque era tho. Green v Jade. Love seeing all the love for Green's heel act. I became a fan watching her in Impact and on the Indies - she totally showed all the goods she's being praised for now. Great charisma. I sense she'll find a way to be properly pushed before all is said and done. So glad Jade isn't stinking it up on my preferred wrestling shows anymore...

On 4/9/2024 at 12:53 AM, Curt McGirt said:

1. WWE took one look at Jade and said "we'll take her with no changes, it'll work just fine" because they already wanted an Ultimate Warrior for the women's division. All the talk about "reps" and match length and everything can just stop, they're gonna pull out the fog machine and the reflective glass if they have to, she's not being forced to get any better than this.

I'm still curious to see if Reps are even part of the plan. I suspect she's doing limited dates. She's a star ya see. Drew McIntyre interview to show all the drips how to do it. Ugh, an Uso Match and a 4 Way all rolled into one. Just a skim here, but Ricc and Bronson really worked nicely together. The 450 on the table was scary and insane and I'm glad O'cchet didn't injure himself. The Punk interference was really good. Two nicely constructed angles in two nights. Very into this McIntyre/Punk Collision course. The Universe and I completely differ on Jay Uso. I think he's horrible, but they like him. No further complaints, this show is for them. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

10 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Of course, this wasn't an intentional arc for either of them (it's backfill and apophenia,) and ascribing genuine humanity to such goofy one-note characters is giving the writers too much credit, but this is way more dark than when we thought he'd lost it all on craps and horse racing and shit.

This also applies to Jacy's sudden re-heeling, turning away from Thea (when they were a genuinely fun team against Chelsea and Piper) and towards Jazmyn, and what seems like the plug being pulled on Thea/Riley.

We will see if true, but on PWInsider it was reported that the way the setup looked on the latest Raw is how it will be looking from now on going forwards. For both Raw and Smackdown.

I think they meant the big led stage is bye bye.

23 hours ago, Peck said:

Je'von Evans has a decent chance to be a star. 

I feel like I'm gonna get some pushback for saying this... but Evans seems to actually be what AEW keeps telling me Nick Wayne is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kang said:

We will see if true, but on PWInsider it was reported that the way the setup looked on the latest Raw is how it will be looking from now on going forwards. For both Raw and Smackdown.

I think they meant the big led stage is bye bye.

As long as ticket sales are hot there’s no need to cut off a quarter of the arena to facilitate a large tron and stage. Use the setup from Monday and make that extra money.

Axiom and McDonagh had a fun little match on Speed with a nice creative finish. I will have to remember that they pin the Speed post on the WWE Twitter page to make it easier for me to find it in future weeks.

On 4/9/2024 at 11:03 PM, Peck said:

Je'von Evans has a decent chance to be a star. 

That man was floating during his match. It's always fun to see guys be that graceful flying around.

Cody's main appeal is that he's so goddamn earnest and corny that is somehow works which is rare in most of entertainment. 

The backfill on the Chase U stuff is insane and I'd love to be in the booker/writers session where they hashed this out. I feel like dark liquor was consumed at some point.

I'm more worried there aren't enough actual tag teams for both main roster shows to justify 2 sets of tag belts but maybe not? There's 7 non champs on Raw and 6 on SD counting AOP after their NXT run is done. Maybe another if they keep Wolf Dogs together.

Excited to see where everything goes. Also I agree with the folks that think there's something missing from Jey Uso's presentation once the bell rings. He's gotta flesh out the moveset or how he does the moves or something.

WWE removed Dan Ventrelle from head of talent relations. WWE hired Ventrelle in the past to work as EVP of Talent Relations in September 2022. 

"Talent Development and Recruiting will now report into Shawn Michaels."

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2024/4/11/24127874/wwe-evp-of-talent-relations-dan-ventrelle-gone-exit-departure-nick-khan-internal-memo-shawn-michaels

11 hours ago, Kang said:

WWE removed Dan Ventrelle from head of talent relations. WWE hired Ventrelle in the past to work as EVP of Talent Relations in September 2022. 

"Talent Development and Recruiting will now report into Shawn Michaels."

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2024/4/11/24127874/wwe-evp-of-talent-relations-dan-ventrelle-gone-exit-departure-nick-khan-internal-memo-shawn-michaels

Am I the only one who finds it weird that the memo uses his character's name and not his actual name? 

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kross, but your services will no longer be required by TKO."

OI1o.gif

"We wish you the best in your future endeavors."

• Haha 5