DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

1 hour ago, SirSmUgly said:

That tweet is the funniest thing Hogan's ever written or said. Classic. 

i think Hogan just went full Sheiky.

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

What I don't understand about Hulk Hogan is how people can be a fan of his knowing what he's done.

i think it ties back into the "separating the art from the artist" idea. easier for some people than others (i mean that for both the performer as well as the audience). i can go back and appreciate '80s Hogan promos and matches for what they are, but anything after his in-ring career ended is just cringeworthy.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The racism trumps anything he's done in wrestling and childhood nostalgia. Fucker lies as he breathes as well. Fuck Hollywood Hulk Hogan.

Gonna be honest, if I didn't enjoy the art of people who didn't like my skin color, I'd enjoy like zero art. Especially of the pro wrestling variety. 

If you don't get over some of that stuff and just enjoy the work, you'll drive yourself crazy and never enjoy anything. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i think Hogan just went full Sheiky.

i think it ties back into the "separating the art from the artist" idea. easier for some people than others (i mean that for both the performer as well as the audience). i can go back and appreciate '80s Hogan promos and matches for what they are, but anything after his in-ring career ended is just cringeworthy.

1 minute ago, SirSmUgly said:

Gonna be honest, if I didn't enjoy the art of people who didn't like my skin color, I'd enjoy like zero art. Especially of the pro wrestling variety. 

If you don't get over some of that stuff and just enjoy the work, you'll drive yourself crazy and never enjoy anything. 

Good points.

25 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Yeah, for judging artists, athletes, whatever, for a lot of them it's a spectrum of "maybe questionable" ------------------> "irredeemable human being."  You just need to pick where your own line is on a case by case basis.

On the Hogan tip, if you watch any 80s wrestling PPV, I guarantee most of the people on that show have some racism knocking around in their heads.  They just haven't yet been dumb enough to express it publicly.

Anyway, you find your own personal line and you don't tell anyone what that line is 🤣

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, for judging artists, athletes, whatever, for a lot of them it's a spectrum of "maybe questionable" ------------------> "irredeemable human being."  You just need to pick where your own line is on a case by case basis.

On the Hogan tip, if you watch any 80s wrestling PPV, I guarantee most of the people on that show have some racism knocking around in their heads.  They just haven't yet been dumb enough to express it publicly.

Anyway, you find your own personal line and you don't tell anyone what that line is 🤣

There's also some value in just letting some stuff go too, and not constantly holding onto a misdeed from the past.

Take the woman in my avatar, for example! She played Michfest (a music festival with a significant bend towards TERFness) a few times, and in spite of repeated statements in support of the trans community since then, she still gets called a TERF.

And like...

People can change? People can have different opinions than what they used to have? Do we have to crystalize everyone to what they used to be years and years ago? I was a pretty awful person ten years ago, I hope to heck I've changed since then. So if I give myself that grace, why wouldn't I give someone else that same grace?

If someone's still a deliberately awful bigot now, okay, fine, I get it. But if we're taking people to task for something they did in like 2011, I dunno. Maybe tap the brakes some.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Take the woman in my avatar, for example!

This is way off topic, but I have to say it: I've been mobile-version-only for years now, and due to the smaller screen I have legitimately thought that was a jokey Bill Murray headshot this whole time.

And speaking of guys from Chicago who I liked a lot more as a kid (how bout that segue?!):

https://blabbermouth.net/news/billy-corgans-adventures-in-carnyland-a-new-unscripted-series-set-to-premiere-next-month

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

And speaking of guys from Chicago who I liked a lot more as a kid (how bout that segue?!):

https://blabbermouth.net/news/billy-corgans-adventures-in-carnyland-a-new-unscripted-series-set-to-premiere-next-month

i was just wondering if/when this was ever going to air. I remember last fall Corgan mentioned that he had signed for two shows on CW that were "Wrestling-adjacent". one was NWA POWERRR! and the other was rumored to be him focusing on his home life and preparing for his wedding. They actually got married back in September, so this obviously has been in the works for a while. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i was just wondering if/when this was ever going to air. I remember last fall Corgan mentioned that he had signed for two shows on CW that were "Wrestling-adjacent". one was NWA POWERRR! and the other was rumored to be him focusing on his home life and preparing for his wedding. They actually got married back in September, so this obviously has been in the works for a while. 

Same here, I remember we talked about it in whatever month's omnibus thread, but it was more in the context of if/how it would be affected by NXT moving there, whether it would be on their streaming app or regular ass channel 9, etc.

On 4/23/2024 at 3:05 PM, caley said:

Grimes crypto-millionaire gimmick was basically the first time WWE has ever been up on a current events gimmick rather than months...years....behind. The fact that it somehow lead to him being one of the most over faces on the NXT roster was a testament to Grimes' personality. His main roster run was sabotaged by coming up when Vince was in charge and didn't get/didn't care about him or his gimmick, so by the time he was out Grimes was already basically seen as a JTTS and probably too late/too small to rehab his image.

I still kinda think he has "it" to some degree and could be a big player for someone down the line: AEW, TNA or I could even see him being a good fit in Japan.

The reaction to the video he posted got really positive feedback from people from everywhere in the business in a short period of time. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets brought back if Tony Khan doesn’t sign him. With him being such a WWE mark he probably isn’t clamoring for touring New Japan or anywhere like that even though he is a great enough worker to fit well in New Japan or NOAH. 
 Either way the reaction to his reaction to his release has gotten him more over than just quietly going back to the indies

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

As far as wrestlers always using inside terms goes, I'm really enamored with the use of the word "gimmick" as a verb, adjective, adverb, noun, whatever, with multiple meanings.  It's like "Smurf."

My gimmick is that I hit everyone with this gimmick that I gimmicked.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, ka-to said:

My gimmick is that I hit everyone with this gimmick that I gimmicked.

Big Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo vibes. 

• Like 3

have a tab open on the BigTimeWrestling stream and always fun to switch over to 1987 World Championship Wrestling showing Winston Garland (during the 1987 NCAA Tournament) with Craig Sager behind him watching Brad Armstrong working a masked job guy

also lots of 'probably can't do that now' fun of Jim Cornette suggesting Precious eat dog biscuits

EDIT: Cornette followed it up later by saying Precious isn't there because she saw a "No Soliciting" sign on the front door of the Turner Studios... don't think you can say that one anymore

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Haha 2

We know that Wrestlemania in London is something WWE has wanted for a little while now but couldn’t get it over the line because London wouldn’t pay for it. I wonder how money they’re kicking Khan’s way to make this a campaign talking point all the sudden.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Battle of the Khans:

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/wwe/london-mayor-wants-to-host-first-international-wwe-wrestlemania

Nick vs. Tony vs. Sadiq.

Which is better? There's only one to find out. FIIIGGGHHTTT!!!

What about THE GREAT O'KHAN????????

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Before Tony Khan wearing a neckbrace to sell his AEW injury on the NFL draft, what other examples of wrestling people selling injuries on mainstream TV are there?

I can only think of Jim Cornette wearing a neckbrace on Regis & Kathy Lee over 30 years ago, and that was especially noteable because it was an injury sustained in SMW, while he was on the show promoting WWF SummerSlam '93.

• Like 1

Not being a WCW kid (initially), the "new NWA" to me felt so passe. Meanwhile those guys had been on top of the world only five years earlier. I was like "who's this guy with the tennis racket talking a mile a minute?"

7 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Before Tony Khan wearing a neckbrace to sell his AEW injury on the NFL draft, what other examples of wrestling people selling injuries on mainstream TV are there?

I can only think of Jim Cornette wearing a neckbrace on Regis & Kathy Lee over 30 years ago, and that was especially noteable because it was an injury sustained in SMW, while he was on the show promoting WWF SummerSlam '93.

Jerry Lawler and Andy Kaufman: One of the Greatest Feuds of All-Time |  News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Andy Kaufman, innit?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Dear British Wrestling fans,

I’m looking for recommendations on great matches and recommended wrestlers to check out. New and old, I’m excited to learn more.

Thank you kindly,

Octopus.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

At one point when Ken Shamrock was in the WWF he wears a fake cast to a UFC event when he's cornering Lion's Den fighters

• Like 2