DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Super-niche wrestling gimmick ideas

A preppy rich dude who specializes in Palm Strikes from Isle Of Palms, South Carolina.

Finisher could be a cartwheel shotei, call it the Palm Springs

• Haha 2

Trips going hard on somebody

“when I see people coming out of trying to make it, and then they pick a job where, well, they work less, the schedule is lighter, then I'm like, 'I'm glad I didn't pick you.' If you're not in it for the grind, at that point early in your career, you have no business being here”

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/triple-h-just-because-someone-succeeds-somewhere-else-doesn-t-mean-they-ll-succeed-big-time

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

“when I see people coming out of trying to make it, and then they pick a job where, well, they work less, the schedule is lighter, then I'm like, 'I'm glad I didn't pick you.' If you're not in it for the grind, at that point early in your career, you have no business being here”

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/triple-h-just-because-someone-succeeds-somewhere-else-doesn-t-mean-they-ll-succeed-big-time

Oh god fuck this guy.  Some real boomer-ass “I work 18 hour days and never see my kids” grindcore bullshit.

This is up there with Undertaker’s “today’s locker room is soft” comments.  “I made every town, slept 5 to a room, held Shawn’s hair when he puked, drove cars for addicts because I was sober, jobbed like crazy, etc, and you don’t belong here if you can’t work that hard.”  I swear wrestling will never get better until we’re at least a generation or two removed from these old school carny fucks.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 7

I know he’s just being disingenuous to throw shade on AEW, but for fuck’s sake.  It’s not like Punk’s pulling an Orndorff and working through injury to keep a check coming.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I know he’s just being disingenuous to throw shade on AEW, but for fuck’s sake.  It’s not like Punk’s pulling an Orndorff and working through injury to keep a check coming.

It's throwing shade at themselves if anything. They literally put a guy in one of the biggest main events of the year who ain't been a full time wrestler in over twenty years. If you were born 21 years ago, you don't remember Dwayne Johnson as a full time wrestler. You can say he earned it, but WrestleMania weekend is also where you have men and women literally wrestling up to 2-3 times a day over the course of 3-4 days. There are folks on the WWE roster who probably average 2-3 matches A MONTH if that. The fuck is he going on about.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

His name could be Paul Maulive.

That's totally a name Bruce Prichard would have came up with in 1994 after smoking a few joints.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's throwing shade at themselves if anything. They literally put a guy in one of the biggest main events of the year who ain't been a full time wrestler in over twenty years. If you were born 21 years ago, you don't remember Dwayne Johnson as a full time wrestler. You can say he earned it, but WrestleMania weekend is also where you have men and women literally wrestling up to 2-3 times a day over the course of 3-4 days. There are folks on the WWE roster who probably average 2-3 matches A MONTH if that. The fuck is he going on about.

It's funny because he's trying to qualify it by saying "early in your career," making sure to only criticize non-veterans and non-legends.  But at face value, he's still just telling younger wrestlers "don't come here if you don't want us working you like a dog."  Like killing yourself for a job is commendable. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

It's funny because he's trying to qualify it by saying "early in your career," making sure to only criticize non-veterans and non-legends.  But at face value, he's still just telling younger wrestlers "don't come here if you don't want us working you like a dog."  Like killing yourself for a job is commendable. 

If that was such an issue, there would be no PC. Literally 90 percent or more of their "developmental" talent has never proven that they would have been a wrestler back in the "good ole days".  This goes especially since the roster as a whole is averaging a torn ACL injury or the like every 4-6 weeks. Unlike then, you're getting paid to sit at home.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's totally a name Bruce Prichard would have came up with in 1994 after smoking a few joints.

Would he throw dishwashing soap in people’s eyes as a foreign object?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Would he throw dishwashing soap in people’s eyes as a foreign object?

That's totally on the table.

The one thing that you could count on is the WWF prop department nailing that. They also had enough folks in the inner circle like Cornette who knew how to work fake dishwashing soap so you can throw liquid in someone's eyes safely and folks at ringside be able to get a whiff of something that smells remotely like a dishwashing soap. That is how insanely carny pro wrestling is.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Oh god fuck this guy.  Some real boomer-ass “I work 18 hour days and never see my kids” grindcore bullshit.

This is up there with Undertaker’s “today’s locker room is soft” comments.  “I made every town, slept 5 to a room, held Shawn’s hair when he puked, drove cars for addicts because I was sober, jobbed like crazy, etc, and you don’t belong here if you can’t work that hard.”  I swear wrestling will never get better until we’re at least a generation or two removed from these old school carny fucks.

at least Gen Z is rejecting the grind till you die life style like Millennials rejected everyone having to have two and a half kids and a white picket fence.

Good for them i say 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

grindcore

If overworking lunatics are actually stealing the name of my beloved musical subgenre then we should do something to them that would be in the lyrics of a Carcass song. (Especially ironic that the real grindcore was born from the work-despising world of hardcore punk and underground metal.)

If Aytch only wants guys he can work to death, he better be happy with everyone going to work for someone providing proper conditions instead.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

If overworking lunatics are actually stealing the name of my beloved musical subgenre then we should do something to them that would be in the lyrics of a Carcass song. (Especially ironic that the real grindcore was born from the work-despising world of hardcore punk and underground metal.)

If Aytch only wants guys he can work to death, he better be happy with everyone going to work for someone providing proper conditions instead.

My bad, it’s actually “grindset.”  You may lower the alert level 🤣

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2024 at 2:11 PM, Technico Support said:

That's like that time I tripped and fell ass first right onto a dick.  It happens.

It was a million-to-one shot, Doc. Million-to-one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Trips spouting shite.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Thank you, mate. Well said.

• Like 1

Say what you will about Ian, but his post match promo at Tournament of Death 5 was great. Listing things he's seen and ending with "I've seen royal weddings. I've even seen two goats fucking. But I've never seen anything like the Necro Butcher." Had me dying. 

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If that was such an issue, there would be no PC. Literally 90 percent or more of their "developmental" talent has never proven that they would have been a wrestler back in the "good ole days".  This goes especially since the roster as a whole is averaging a torn ACL injury or the like every 4-6 weeks. Unlike then, you're getting paid to sit at home.

And why the experienced indie wrestlers bail on it

• Like 2