DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/13 - 3/19/2024 - Takin' Care of Business

That was a pretty fun 2 hours of pro wres!

Mercedes looked like a star. Giving her the chant friendly CEO moniker was gold.

Lots of really good in ring stuff tonight imo. No MOTYCs but everything served a purpose for the most part. Like the the 6 man leading to KINGSTON VS OKADA NEXT WEEK IN TORONTO!

Whenever Darby gets back he's going to get a nuclear pop.

BCG is bad to being heels. Which fits.

Wardlow lost, but getting choked out isn't a "burial loss". Joe and Swerve is cooking and I can't wait for that title match. 

Next week is looking pretty dope. Was hoping to see an Ospreay match. Will killed it on the mic tonight. Dude has been on fire since his start in AEW.

• Like 2

We counted three "bruv"s from the interview in chat and then all of the sudden the crowd started chanting it 😄 Speaking of which, can I have a censor option to cut out "CEO" like when the crowd curses? I think that would be really funny, on top of me, you know, not having to hear that shit.

• Haha 1

It was a pretty good show tonight. Mone's debut went great and I hope it's a sign of good things to come for AEW.

The Elite vs. Eddie/Penta/Pac was pretty good. Dickhead heel Okada before the match making Alex sing happy birthday to Matthew was hilarious. I'm looking forward to Eddie vs. Okada. I thought for sure they would save it for Dynasty. At least he probably won't have to carry three belts after next week.

Match of the night was Darby vs. Switchblade. Darby is crazy for doing that coffin drop to the ring apron where he missed most of it. I loved the heel turn after the match. BC Gold are too good to be goofy faces. Hopefully Juice Robinson is coming back soon so they can be at full strength. 

Willow vs. Riho was a really good match as well.  I love Riho so i was upset to see her lose, but it was a strong loss. Nice save by Mone at the end. Her vs. Julia should be a damn good match when that happens. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

so what's the best possible feud that'll involve a heel mimicking Mercedes' dancing?

Harley Cameron.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Darby is crazy for doing that coffin drop to the ring apron where he missed most of it.

All of it. I'll go there. All of it. He hit the very edge and spun face-first into the floor as fast and hard as possible. He missed all of it, got none of it. Of course that isn't even a top ten bump for him probably but it would be nasty enough to underline out of the entirety of most people's careers. 

Luckily, they didn't do any more with the stairs than they did.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

We counted three "bruv"s from the interview in chat and then all of the sudden the crowd started chanting it 😄 Speaking of which, can I have a censor option to cut out "CEO" like when the crowd curses? I think that would be really funny, on top of me, you know, not having to hear that shit.

it’s weird that you’re annoyed by crowd participation when the first part of your post makes it seem like you enjoy it 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

AEW is on the upswing again.

Mission accomplished with the Mercedes debut. Lots of time to soak up some well-deserved love, got the CEO chant over, stood tall at the end. Seems smart to keep her out of the Toni-verse for now, but Mercedes and Mariah for both belts in Wembley maybe?

So glad to see the end of the BBSG too. It was befitting for 5 of the 6, but as the match with Darby demonstrated, it was well beneath Jay White. He's a lot better as a higher ranked heel, and time to unify the useless second trios belts.

Loved the new ring gear for GoA, too bad they can't get a win. I actually think Hook benefits from working with Jericho a lot more than most of the AEW roster, though. Hopefully he avoids the Jericho partner curse.

The final segment was cool not just because it was women, but because I think everyone involved except Mercedes is under 30, and Mercedes isn't over by much.

• Like 5

Willow turned 30 this year, but yeah you’re spot on. Everyone else is in their 20s - Statlander too, even though she wasn’t out there in person.

Mercedes is only 32. If she signed a contract for the same amount of years they usually do, she’ll still be in her 30s by the time that ends. Crazy to think about.

EDIT: Also Mercedes’ theme isn’t by Mikey Rukus, she did it herself according to him on Twitter.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

It's honestly buck wild we're so desensitised to how much good free wrestling we get that it barely registers that we're getting Kingston vs Okada on a non PPV show and it barely makes people blink now.

Mercedes' debut was solid enough but I do kinda agree the lack of hype up AEW does for their own big debuts is counter productive.

I have nothing but love for Samoa Joe but I really wanted more from a Joe/Wardlow clash. It was fine but goddamn you just feel there's something special there.

• Like 5

Also I have absolutely zero doubt Darby will make it to the top of Everest. It's how he's getting down I'm worried about because there's like a 50/50 shot he just coffin drops off the thing wearing a go pro.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

To be fair, the First Dance kind of proved that they didn’t need to do promotion of big debuts like this. It’s probably not fair to compare Mercedes to Punk, but the situations are similar and that episode of Rampage was insane when it came to ratings, quarter numbers, the demo and even per market breakdowns (especially numbers in Chicago).

This is only the second time they’ve done a big wrestler themed debut show in their hometown I’m pretty sure, so let’s wait a minute and see the breakdowns.

I’m sure if WBD felt that AEW’s strategy of big time debuts wasn’t working they’d tell Tony and he’d bow to whatever they requested he do from now on. 

• Like 2

a few things in response before I get into the show

- they're absolutely splitting the Continental belt off.  Sorry TC fans.  Notice Eddie hasn't been carrying all 3 belts much either.

- I fucking hate the pre-programmed "CHANT ALONG FANS" built into the theme, thank you username!  I'm already sick of Ospreay trying to lead fans into it, and now CEO????  Is this what hiring former WWE production adds?  Treating the audience like sheep? 

Also, for that matter we have the EVPs and now the CEO?  One thing I can't stand is gimmick redundancy in the same promotion......and what does CEO stand for in this context anyway?  I was hoping Mercedes would explain that.  Maybe next week....

I thought the show had great energy until the Jericho match.  I remember the last time I posted about him I was looking forward to him doing a hardcore Onita style run.....instead he's Lionheart again?  It was cool the first time he brought back Lionheart.  I still think he's got another run in him but man, nothing he's been trying has worked a while now, time to step back.....

Anyway, loved Joe and Wardlow.  There was some great stuff during the first break.  They've done an amazing job rebuilding Wardawg in short order.  Cole's fairytale at the beginning was a nice touch.  knowing how TK loves the double debut/surprise/return I was half expecting MJF tonight...

I like Ospreay as a promo and thought he was good tonight.  His shift from straight into the camera to his left with his eyes was throwing me off though, he'll get used to being on live television.  Like he said a couple times when he came to the ring, "this is new for me!"  The crowds aren't quite as hot for him yet as I hoped they'd be.....but then I have to keep in mind how he's sorta brand new to a lot of the audience.  And then I saw Jay White out there being really over after a slow start early in his AEW run...so yea....not worried about Will

Jay and Darby F'n ruled.  Loved Darby's selling, Randy Savage style.  Taz comparing him to Spike for pain tolerance was spot on, a comparison I'd never thought of oddly, probably because Darby is so much more athletic and high impact and not just a ragdoll like Spike was.  So glad BBSG is over and done with, it was a means to an end to unify those belts and I'm guessing Juicy is about to be back

I liked the Deonna heelish promo more than anything she's done thus far.  Felt way more natural.  Good call on putting Mone with Willow, Julia, Skye, Riho to start.....good matches minimal BS hopefully....

Great show overall.  So stacked and there's so much new talent I almost forgot KYLE MF'N O'REILLY IS BACK!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
  • Like 1

Oh yeah and I loved Joe kicking the security guard off the ramp on his way back up.  That was such a great little touch and the dude sold it so well it had to be a planned spot

There was another one like that later in the show that was so good I was like, "that has to be leading to something" but I can't remember what it was now....

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Swerve beat up some security, too.

Nah, it was the security Swerve beat up.  After Joe bails and walks back up the ramp, he notices a dead security guard and casually kicks him off the ramp to his doom.  It was hilarious.

the other thing I noticed later was completely different, but it was such a nice subtle thing I thought "this has to be a hint" but I'd have to watch the show again to remember and fuck that.  It will forever be a mystery

• Like 1

Hahaha, just realized I blanked on the Okada 6 man tag.  I love the pairing with the Bucks, and I also think Okada working American TV style is an ongoing work in progress and it's fun watching him master it in real time.  That dropkick highspot that I'm used to 40 minutes into a match 4 minutes in instead is going to take some getting used to, and I think Okada did more in and out and down to the floor and back in a short time than he has in forever.....that can't be great on the ol back and knees......

1 hour ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Oh yeah and I loved Joe kicking the security guard off the ramp on his way back up.  That was such a great little touch and the dude sold it so well it had to be a planned spot

There was another one like that later in the show that was so good I was like, "that has to be leading to something" but I can't remember what it was now....

1 hour ago, Just Dave said:

Swerve beat up some security, too.

57 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Nah, it was the security Swerve beat up.  After Joe bails and walks back up the ramp, he notices a dead security guard and casually kicks him off the ramp to his doom.  It was hilarious.

Here it is:

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depends on what the AEW World Championship match is at Dynasty, looking like Samoa Joe vs. Swerve Strickland but I can see the Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay dream match going on last. It's rare when the AEW World Championship match doesn't headline and this will be another time in Samoa Joe's reign. I also prefer Samoa Joe as AEW World Champion to Swerve Strickland. I'd rather watch a Samoa Joe match to Swerve Strickland. Joe feels like the big boss in a videogame, a credible threat and aura few possess. I get striking while the iron's hot with Strickland and expect him to win still.

• Like 1

This show had vibes of “We might have some new eyes on us tonight, so let’s go hard.” Really fun show that moved at a great pace. There was an AEW commercial in the first PIP break that really showcased the new roster. AEW’s on another heater after this show and what they have scheduled for next week. 

• Like 8

I love it that Jay and Gunns are back to being dick heels. I honestly never liked the whole Bang Bang Scissor Gang thing in the first place. The Gunns and Acclaimed had been pretty much joined at the hip for two years now in various forms. When they started putting the boots to Darby and Billy and the Acclaimed hit the ring, I was expecting a massive beatdown by all six to send Darby off. I'm much happier with what happened instead.

• Like 4

The security guard that got kicked off the stage was Bryce Donovan, Chick Donovan's grandson. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1