DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XL - 4/6 & 4/7/2024

Dolfan in NYC

My thoughts on the weekends events.

Night 1 was mid, not good, not bad, but mid.

Night 2 was much better, especially with Bayley/Iyo.  Cody winning had me acting like I was 12 instead of 42.

We need snoop rif tracking our favorite fun brawls.

I'm thinking atown down under drop the tag belts to rko.

Truth must be protected at all costs coz the man has managed to elevate everyone he interacts with through comedy.

Taker showing up to choke slam the rock snd drag him away(off screen) made more sense than Austin even though he would of been the bigger pop.

Austin brawling to the back with the rock might of taken away to much focus from the ring.

Seth looked like a goof but a main event goof who finally got his comeuppance for starting Roman on this path.  

Now the next story begins.  The fall of Roman, and the build to Rock/Roman.  Plus whatever Cody is gonna do before he loses the title to hopefully Gunther 

• Like 5

Dijak calling his shot for some reason

https://x.com/DijakWWE/status/1777310251462934624

"It won’t be tomorrow, it won’t be next week, it won’t be next month, might not even be next year… but one day you guys are gonna turn so hard on Cody and boo his ass out of the building and when that day comes all I’m going to do is reference this post and tell you I was right."

The Taker appearance was cool it was but I think if Austin came out gave The Rock a stunner picked Cody up dusted him off said you got this kid left then we get the three Cross Rhodes and the finish that would have been a great passing of the torch moment like finally the Attitude Era steps aside 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I can see Cody Rhodes getting drafted to Smackdown and Damian Priest staying on RAW.

So in that scenario they swap Bayley and Rhea right? Because I kept thinking last night they’re moving Bayley to Raw which means either all of Judgment Day or at least Rhea goes to Smackdown.

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

This is a great callout and something they have really struggled with in similar spots in the past (Bryan getting Kane immediately comes to mind, but there are other examples). 

HHH hasn't booked any real babyface runs on the main roster.  Feels like it was all in the chase with Sami/KO and they quickly became afterthoughts and lost the titles.  I thought following a Mania main event they'd give them a real run as a main event tag team.  Then Roman, Gunther, Rhea and Iyo have all had long heel reigns

I'd have to jog my memory but it seems like the best NXT champs (Joe, Owens, Asuka) were all heels as well.  Are we sure he can book a babyface champion to stay hot?  Seems like this is his first big test as booker.   Pretty big test for Cody as well

As for Samantha Irvin, it says far more about the WWE culture than it does her in general. Having an announcer who will adapt their cadence and style depending on the wrestler in the ring is great. I'm not convinced that Irvin is particularly better or worse at this than anyone else that might have been given the opportunity in Vince-less/Dunn-less world to do it. There's not exactly a huge baseline. I remember announcers getting handslapped for trying it (even on house shows) in the past. I can't tell if she's genuine or working a good chunk of the time because it comes off as a little hokey but it's wrestling so that's not a bad thing necessarily. It's a tough balance. If she's getting so choked up that her voice is going there are pros and cons to it. Overall, things like the Gunther and Chelsea Green intros add more than subtract, but then I also don't watch this stuff on a weekly basis; I barely watch it at all! So maybe I'd feel differently if I was.

3 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

I'll always believe the original plan was Cody winning last year and Vince changed his mind when he sold to Endeavor and wanted Roman to be the face of the new company

If that is the case, I think what we ended up with was much better. We can argue about whether Sami was a better choice or Cody, but I'll be damned if last night didn't feel like something really special. Everyone was hoping we would get that Avengers: Endgame style ending and we sure as shit did, and pretty much to perfection. There were so many good neuances about last night that just elevated it in my opinion. I went back and rewatched the ending a little while ago, and everyone in or around that ring does a masterful job of selling the occasions. Paul Heyman's facials when Cena, Rock, and Taker all come out are money. Samantha Irvin choking up at announcing the winner - which is the only time in my memory I can recall a ring announcer actually showing true emotion. Even Charles Robinson, little naitch, with a coy smile on his face ever so gently handing the title to Cody. It was all such good shit. That's what wrestling is meant to be, that's why we are all fans. Moments like that. You can call it a journey of 5, 10, 15 years for Cody or you can call it a journey of almost 50 years since his dad debuted in Vince Sr. WWWF. Absolutely special stuff.

Now... what can you do from here? Everyone loves the chase, that's compelling television. What do you do now that the chase is complete?

• Like 5

Is it weird that I’m actually far more captivated by what’s next for Roman than I am Cody? He’s Thanos after he’s retired and is now living as a farmer. He has to now know that the Shield breakup a decade ago is at the root of all of this and he has to get right with that, somehow, or he’ll never truly be at peace even though he has conquered it all. How does that happen? I’m fascinated by how his next stage translates to wrestling. 

There’s like an Old Man Logan arc in there. They have to figure out how it translates to the ring.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I guess the question for now is “how soon is Cody/gunther?” 

Has to be Bash at Berlin or Summerslam if they go that route.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Has to be Bash at Berlin or Summerslam if they go that route.

I’m thinking based on the location and possibility of him getting the briefcase too SummerSlam is either Cody vs Logan Paul or Logan cashes in after Cody vs whomever. With it being in Cleveland that’s a big enough main event plus Logan would get all kinds of local media on top of the national stuff as it’s his homecoming.

If this was Vince, he'd give us 2 months of Cody vs. Omos, and then Sheamus.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I really enjoyed Bayley / Iyo a lot more than I thought I would and it was definitely my match of Mania.  I wasn't as down on the big tag main event, but wasn't as high on the title switch.  Yeah, the run-ins were fun and all, and Roman choosing to hit Seth instead of Cody was clever, but the actual match match was the same old same old until the run-ins.  I've said before that Main Event Roman Reigns matches are my least favorite genre, so maybe that's just me. 

I have no idea what they're going to do with Cody now, and how he keeps the crowd from turning on him.  At least Kane's not around to be his first feud after the big title win. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I guess the question for now is “how soon is Cody/gunther?” 

Not soon enough.  They already showed at the Royal Rumble last year they have amazing chemistry...   I'm ready for it. 

Also, at the presser Triple H said the hardest thing to do in wrestling right now is book a babyface who the fans won't turn on.  He gave credit to Cody because he said there's something about Cody that people want to get behind him,  likely because he's a great guy and it comes across on TV..  

Interesting to see how this run goes.   Daniel Bryan following WM XXX was a big bag of dogshit but that's Vince..

• Like 2

guessing the only real WWE way to blow off the Usos thing is for them to have another match, only for Rikishi to come out and make them dance along side him like they're Too Cool to make up and reform the Usos team

I don’t think the crowd will turn on Cody for the same reason they didn’t turn on Bryan: they witnessed the struggle, the departure, rebuilding himself and climbing back to the top. It’s the same reason the crowd never turned on Austin or Foley.

With Roman, Cena, and eventually even Hogan, there was never that initial struggle for the fans to build their support behind. They got turned on.

I don’t think they have to worry about it with Cody.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

guessing the only real WWE way to blow off the Usos thing is for them to have another match, only for Rikishi to come out and make them dance along side him like they're Too Cool to make up and reform the Usos team

Maybe the Usos reunite as babyfaces after they put Solo and Jacob Fatu as a team and they become the Bloodline's hit men? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

With Roman, Cena, and eventually even Hogan, there was never that initial struggle for the fans to build their support behind.

Your Hogan mention made me realize how much I wanted him to show up during the cameos in the main event, just to get Solo Spiked in the throat and then do a Jimmy Valiant-esque writhing, leg-kicking, spasmodic sell job.

• Haha 3