DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XL - 4/6 & 4/7/2024

Dolfan in NYC

It's like watching Wrestlemania but with MST3K sitting in the front row. I get being messy, but that shit sitting in front of the TV would drive me crazier than Drew Mac not LEAVING THE BUILDING. JUST LEAVE.

The lady on the video also reminded me of the terrible show these kids were watching in the break room at work the other day. It was a speed-dating show where they had guys walk up to a young woman who would immediately insult and curse at them (with judicious use of the N-word), 'keep' them if they "smelled good", start trivial arguments immediately, etc. It was like Jerry Springer in fast forward. Find the worst person possible, hand them a mic, hang a treat over their head for being a good guest and making all the dumb noises and turn the camera on.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot they kind of tried to censor it? But the bleeps would always come out too late or just not at all. It was like a parody of doing that. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

28 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I can't handle all that shit in front of the TV. My fucking skin is crawling with all that.

If I’m gonna have sponsored matches, I want it to be with my own stuff.

Re: Night 1
I pretty easily managed to make 8 hours of 2 nights of WM into about 2 hours. No way am I watching a rah rah Helmsley promo nor any of the other bullshit to begin. Loved the Rhea v Becky opener. Both looked great and the match felt big. Kinda weird heat on Lynch, but ppl love Ripper. Great to finally see both of these talented ladies in the ring with an equally talented performer. This was my favorite match over the two nights. FFWD passed the Tag Team Scramble Ladder Match. Ladders and Scrambles are not for me. Andrade/Mysterio v Dom/Santos was going really well til the parade of extras and celebrities. Rey/El Idolo hitting the towering crossbody was such a spectacular spot. Dom looked really great here too. Disappointing finish to a strong start. I ffwd passed Jimmy v Jey. Word is it wasn't good. Ya don't say!?! I can't quite understand how somebody would expect the Battle of the Usos to be anything but terrible. I ffwd passed Bianca/Jade/Naomi v Asuka/Kairi/Dakota. I liked Jade's Rumble debut, but I'm as sick of her here as I was during most of her AEW run. I used to look forward to Asuka matches, but I just couldn't muster up the interest here. Zayn v Gunther was nearly as good as expected. I wasn't quite as into the melodrama with Zayn's wife and Michael Cole's Miracle calls as much as the Universe, but solid affair nonetheless. Loved the brainbuster like everyone else. Gunther is easily my favorite wrestler in this company, and I will continue to go out of my way to watch his matches. Lots to ffwd before the Main Event. And then more ffwding to do when the Rollins/Rhodes v Rock/Reigns match started. What a fucking snooze. Every bit as shitty as many predicted when Rock was pulling us back in with his great promos. 

Re: Night 2
Stephanie McMahon makes me feel ill. She should have worn the ECW leather kangol. I was waiting for her to lead another 'Thank You Vince' chant. Rollins v McIntyre was pretty good. I ffwd Rollins so much that it's easy for me to forget that he's actually a pretty talented wrestler. Punk was chewing up the scenery on commentary - kind of disservice to the match. That said, the post match Punk/McIntyre/Priest angle was fuckinfantastic. Awful way to switch a title, but this title is FTW-level lame anyway. Haha, no way am I sitting thru Lashley/Street Profits v Killer Kross' gang. Bronson Reed, Gable, Nakamura and a bunch of talented ppl are sitting on the sidelines while Ellering's lumbering goofs get on this show? No interest in AJ Styles v LA Knight, so ffwd on by. Is Styles' pencil mustache the worst/best facial hair in the business? Yee-ah! Similarly uninterested in Gas Man v Owens v Logan. Triple Threat=*Big smelly fart sound. I've avoided Orton matches for far too long to give in now. Bayley v Iyo was as excellent as one would expect from these two talented ladies. I can get down with Bayley as a babyface, but really hoping she goes heel again soon. Also, kinda hoping Iyo and Asuka slide back over to the babyface side. Ffwd passed Snoop and the lengthy video packages. Roman v Cody was fine. Nice to see Brandi sporting her finest swimsuit. Cuz you gotta bust out your best for Mania! I was watching with my GF who has only really seen AEW and NJPW, and thought these two were totally stinking up the place. She fully believed she was watching the worst match she'd ever seen. She's long thought Cody was shitty wrestler. I enjoyed the sentiment even if I did think Reigns and Rhodes pulled off the Heyman schmoze pretty well. Damn, was kinda hoping somehow Goofy Rhodes would lose again. Yes, 'thank you Bruce Pritchard!' and Nick Khan! 'Gross' as the kids say. Cody is thee perfect Corporate Cult Champion! Now, then, forever! Ugh, I always ffwd thru all of Cody's entrances yet that rotten song still finds a way back into my head. Oh man, I'm so thankful WWE isn't the only game in town. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I like how for Takers spot.  They do EVERY 2k game Universe Mode cut scene for a mid match run-in.  All with the long stare down the aisle but OOPS they’re right behind you camera pull to the right. 

Good brand tie-in.

Edited by Brandon Bones
Make a split screen video of it and send it to Promo Joe

@harryarchiegus my GF also only watches wrestling with me, so she's only seen AEW and some AAA. She was like "why are they moving so slow?" I had to explain to her that WWE audiences have been trained for 50 years to believe that half speed grimacing and selling every move like a shotgun blast has been the norm, ant that athleticism has by and large been kicked aside for "storytelling."