DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XL - 4/6 & 4/7/2024

Dolfan in NYC

It's always sunny at WrestleMania!   

For the first time in 25 years, welcome to Philadelphia for the biggest show of the year!

THE CARD~!  (updated as announced)

Saturday, April 6th

FOR THE WORLD WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Becky Lynch

FOR THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP - GUNTHER (C) vs. Sami Zayn

SIX PACK LADDER MATCH FOR THE UNDISPUTED TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Judgement Day (Priest / Balor, c) vs. #DIY (Gargano / Ciampa) vs. Awesome Truth (Miz / Truth) vs. The New Day (Kingston / Woods) vs. A Town Down Under (Theory / Waller) vs. New Catch Republic (Dunne / Bate)

The Bloodline (Maivia / Reigns) vs. Seth Rollins / Cody Rhodes

Santos Escobar & Dominick Mysterio vs. latino World order (Mysterio Jr. / Lee)

Damage CTRL (Asuka / Kai / Saine) vs. Naomi / Bianca Bel Air / Jade Cargill

Jimmy Uso vs. Jey Uso

Sunday, April 7th

FOR THE UNDISPUTED WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Roman Reigns (c) vs. Cody Rhodes

†† FOR THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Seth F. Rollins (c) vs. Drew McIntyre

FOR THE WWE WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Iyo Sky (c) vs. Bayley

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Logan Paul (c) vs. Randall K. Orton vs. Kevin Owens

PHILADELPHIA STREET FIGHT - The Final Testament (Akim / Rezar / Kross) vs. The Pride (Lashley / Dawkins / Ford)

LA Knight vs. AJ Styles

----

† - Cody & Seth victory will ban Bloodline from Sunday matches.  Bloodline victory will institute "Bloodline Rules."  

†† - Special Guest Commentator - CM Punk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Will Stand and Deliver talk go here or will it get its own thread after Roadblock? (Sorry, I've been away too long)

My guide has usually been, if it's on the Cock, then it gets it's own thread.   (So, S&D yes, RB no)

🦚

• Like 1

Hoping Cody Rhodes finishes the story and beats Roman Reigns for the Undisputed WWE Championship. Hoping Drew McIntyre who is on his best ever run beats Seth Rollins for the World Heavyweight Championship in front of a crowd. McIntyre's two WWE Championship wins were in the pandemic without fans.

Night One main event is up for grabs. It definitely would have been Seth Rollins vs. CM Punk for the World Heavyweight Championship had Punk not torn his triceps. Bayley is the only NXT Horsewomen never to go on last at WrestleMania. Bayley deserves that. Looks bad if she doesn't having won the Royal Rumble match while Cody Rhodes does. A women's match hasn't gone on last since WrestleMania XXXVII. I think Rhea Ripley vs. Becky Lynch headlines Night One.

Very curious who Gunther gets. Pretty sure it was going to be Brock Lesnar, a dream match of mine even with the boring Suplex City shit until those allegations. Fuck Brock Lesnar. I can see Gunther vs. Sami Zayn, Gunther vs. Kevin Owens or Gunther vs. Bron Breakker. Owens needs something big having main evented the last two WrestleMania's.

Unless something crazy happens, I'd say night 2 has it's main event locked. I'm guessing Drew/Seth for Night One but could see either women's match being there too. I hope Gunther gets a match with someone who'll help him give last year's match a run for it's money. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Unless something crazy happens, I'd say night 2 has it's main event locked. I'm guessing Drew/Seth for Night One but could see either women's match being there too. I hope Gunther gets a match with someone who'll help him give last year's match a run for it's money. 

Give them 15 minutes 

https://twitter.com/WWEGable/status/1762472772444234239 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

As I said in another thread, I think a Gunter multi man title defense isa way to get the belt off him without him getting pinned.

But why would you do that? Whoever beats Gunther can become a made man. I don't think you can have him end his epic title run like this without an emphatic victory. 

• Like 5

I feel like they won't go the multiman match way other than maybe to decide who challenges Gunther. Right now they are just putting forward multiple names to keep people guessing. 

• Like 4

On 2/28/2024 at 4:57 AM, TheVileOne said:

But why would you do that? Whoever beats Gunther can become a made man. I don't think you can have him end his epic title run like this without an emphatic victory. 

Agreed.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 4:04 AM, TheVileOne said:

Meltzer is reporting that it's Cody and Seth vs. Rock and Roman on Night 1. 

You'd think that would main event Night 1 when previously it would be Rollins/McIntyre or Ripley/Lynch. I love Bayley but I don't think she'd have even though there needs to be equality with her winning the Royal Rumble and main eventing and Cody Rhodes likewise. What I'd like to see is Gunther main event Night 1. Triple H and Gunther have done a great job bringing prestige back to the WWE Intercontinental Championship. It would be refreshing to see the Intercontinental Championship headline WrestleMania for the first time since WrestleMania VI. You can never say never but will we ever get an opportunity to do that with the belt when it means the most on Gunther right now? Like with the WWE World Tag Team Championship last year?

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 6:00 AM, peterien said:

What are the chances (if any) Roman retains? 

If I had to give odds, I'd say Cody is probably at 75% or 3:1.  He definitely should win, but he also should have won last year.   Roman's reign (pun!) is, for lack of a better word, special.  We have not seen anything like this in decades, and frankly, will probably never see anything like this again in our lifetimes. 

I'm sure the temptation is there for Hunter to give Roman the 2nd longest reign of all time. And frankly, I get it. While we're quite probably in "Diminishing Returns" territory when it comes to Roman, we're also  living through history. That means something too.

I don't think Roman retains.  But, until the palm hits the mat for the 3rd time... anything is possible.  

• Like 5

On 3/4/2024 at 10:33 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I don't think Roman retains.  But, until the palm hits the mat for the 3rd time... anything is possible.  

Or even after! They could have Cody pin Roman then reverse the decision the next night on Raw. Cody might even like this idea, as an homage to his father.

IMHO if you are running with Roman vs. Cody again, I genuinely don't think you can have Roman retain or do shenanigans again.

I think you could get away with it last year because many people were shocked by it and were just automatically assuming Cody would get the win. But a part of me still believes Triple H won't be able to resist Roman surpassing Hogan's title reign.

The only way Roman retaining would make sense at this point is if he beats The Rock.

Secondly, what else can you really do with The Bloodline anymore? You already did Sami Zayn rebelling and breaking away. You did the Usos breaking away. Roman has beaten everyone else. The last challenge was really The Rock, and the fans rejected it and they pivoted back to Cody. At some point, you have to pull the trigger. Cody isn't getting any younger either. If you want him to have his title run it pretty much has to happen now.

• Like 3

The weird route we took to get here makes sense to me now. Rock is beloved. How do we get him booed by the audience that view him as an all time legend? You have it appear like there's some backstage BS of him pulling shit ti steal the match from someone WWE fans genuinely love. Because heels doing kayfabe heel things don't make crowds turn on you anymore.

It worked. Heel Rock is back. Something fresh that we haven't seen in years. Now you setup the tag to main night 1. You have Cody win on Night 2. On Raw you have Roman attack Rock and kick him out of The Bloodline. And you set their Mania match up a year out.

Definitely not a straight line to get from A to B but it makes sense now. I've been big on thinking Roman is breaking the Bruno record. But you will burn the town to the ground so to speak if Cody loses again. If they go through with it I expect a Cody win. They wouldn't dare risk it would they?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Vince would've beat Cody two years in a row just to prove a point, with HHH I don't know. It depends on what they have planned after and who's staying on, if the Rock wants to turn face to go after Roman at Summerslam they could risk Cody losing again. Or they could add Tama Tonga and Jacob Fatu to the Bloodline and go another full year of dominance but there's no way they do the same main event 3 Manias in a row so I think it's either now or never for Rhodes and my money is on now

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

IMHO if you are running with Roman vs. Cody again, I genuinely don't think you can have Roman retain or do shenanigans again.

I think you could get away with it last year because many people were shocked by it and were just automatically assuming Cody would get the win.

That reminds me - I saw part of last year's match and wasn't sure how to react to the finish. I meant to ask here for some context but never got around to it.

Specifically: had Roman been relying on copious interference to retain his title in previous defences? Or was he just mowing opponents down prior to 'Mania? If it was the latter, then I think the outcome was fine, because having to resort to means he hadn't before at least represents a progression in the story. But if it's the former, I think doing a "same old same old" finish in the Wrestlemania main event is pretty bad writing, at least when it's not the result the fans wanted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The weird route we took to get here makes sense to me now. Rock is beloved. How do we get him booed by the audience that view him as an all time legend? You have it appear like there's some backstage BS of him pulling shit ti steal the match from someone WWE fans genuinely love. Because heels doing kayfabe heel things don't make crowds turn on you anymore.

It worked. Heel Rock is back. Something fresh that we haven't seen in years. Now you setup the tag to main night 1. You have Cody win on Night 2. On Raw you have Roman attack Rock and kick him out of The Bloodline. And you set their Mania match up a year out.

Definitely not a straight line to get from A to B but it makes sense now. I've been big on thinking Roman is breaking the Bruno record. But you will burn the town to the ground so to speak if Cody loses again. If they go through with it I expect a Cody win. They wouldn't dare risk it would they?

I don't think they did that on purpose. I think they thought fans would be ok with Rock taking Cody's spot and were very wrong.

• Like 2

There's also the very real probably now (and we saw some of it last week) that heel Rock will be so fun people start to cheer for him and boo Cody in response. The more they can lean into Roman as the Big Bad the better.

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

That reminds me - I saw part of last year's match and wasn't sure how to react to the finish. I meant to ask here for some context but never got around to it.

Specifically: had Roman been relying on copious interference to retain his title in previous defences? Or was he just mowing opponents down prior to 'Mania? If it was the latter, then I think the outcome was fine, because having to resort to means he hadn't before at least represents a progression in the story. But if it's the former, I think doing a "same old same old" finish in the Wrestlemania main event is pretty bad writing, at least when it's not the result the fans wanted.

Roman won the main of Mania 37 because Jey returned and interfered so it’s been a while