DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/24 - 1/30/2024 - Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Scissor Gang

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Things I remember from this week's edition of AEW Dynamite:

Hook just casually suplexing security guys

Toni and Deonna have matching tattoos, the camera work was solid

Swerve beat Jeff Hardy without us feeling too sad that Jeff Hardy is old and slow

The Bucks were WATCHING~! backstage

1. They were STAFF, not Security.
2. Man, Deonna is BORING. I've never seen her before she came to AEW and she's just not doing anything for me. And who said she was the best technical wrestler? They LIED. As much as I hate Soccer Mom Deeb, she's at least done technical stuff (both are just dreadful, though.) BRAVO FOR THE SPLIT SCREEN.
3. I was initially confused as to why that crowd (awful one, by the way) was SUPER cheering for Jeff Hardy, whereas most crowds are nuclear for Swerve, but he eventually won them over.
3a. Also something I found interesting about this particular crowd was the fact that there was WAY more Savannah Bananas merch/t-shirts in the crowd then wrestling related items, I don't think I've seen that in a long time.
4. They really don't have to do all this acting to get people to boo The Bucks. Again, they're naturally super unlikable, just have them be their natural, awful selves.

Edited by The Green Meanie

4 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Adam Copeland vs Minoru Suzuki was everything I wanted and more. Minoru having maybe the worst AEW win/loss statistic ever makes me sad though. 

It's interesting as he's a respected vet with legit credentials that never seems to lose his aura, yet he comes to AEW pretty much solely to put other people over. I can't think of a huge amount of other folks who can consistently lose and still come off as a massive threat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Minoru having maybe the worst AEW win/loss statistic ever makes me sad though. 

My consolation is that he usually spends the rest of his American dates beating indie wrestlers into hamburger meat. 

• Like 3

Forgot my headphones so I watched the matches sans sound so I will have the tiniest points of discussion for the first half of the show.

• PENTA vs Page was pretty dumb (especially the finishing stretch) but I liked the parallel use of the Death Valley Driver and PENTA's cool fireman's carry powerslam thing, I guess. 
  • Swerve vs Jeff had that one cool moment where Jeff stopped running and turned around to splash Swerve out of nowhere. 
  • I didn't quite mind how much Trent got because he used a chair as an equalizer. 

First, pretty terrible crowd for the most part and sounded like the place was maybe half full.

I thought Hangman-Penta was dogshit (and yes I hate Penta, so I’m biased). Sloppy, some outright botches, lots of standing around, no flow. I will say Penta’s Made in Japan looked the best I’ve seen. Would have been way more interesting for Page to win using something besides Buckshot.

Swerve-Hardy was fine, Jeff moves better than Matt, crowd actually cared about him (and both Matt and Nana were doing a lot of work to get the crowd into it).

OC segment was gold, announcing that 4-way immediately after was pyrite.

Given the whole rankings thing, it would’ve been a really fun swerve (if you weeel) to have Trent get a cheap upset using the chair. That way, Wardlow gets a loss that sets him back compared to Hangman and Swerve in the chase for the title, allowing it to naturally stretch out for another PPV cycle. Maybe you get OC upset at Trent for cheating, I don’t know, I don’t know why we need tension in Best Friends anyway.

The Timeless/Virtuosa sit down was excellent, split screen really added a ton to it. Deonna nailed Toni and her mic with the shoe, good stuff. Am I weird for thinking that The Virtuosa could work as another Timeless type character in tandem with Toni?

Sorry DVDVR denizens, Deeb is boring and I could care less about her return.

Rosa-Velvet started rough, pretty sure we’ll see accusations of sandbagging again. They finally almost got on the same page but that was not a good match. AEW really needs Dark/Elevation to get some of these returning wrestlers some reps.

Do not like that new Bang Bang Scissor Gang entry. Match was fine, another entry in the “please get Acclaimed away from trios and back to tag team” evidence folder. Bowens stood out. Seeing them already have shirts. Ames me worry this storyline is going to drag out longer than it should, but I guess March is all about Sting’s last match so breaking up Acclaimed and Daddy Ass needs to be elsewhere.

Honestly, I was kind of wanting to see Cope use his normal style against Suzuki for a full-on style clash but considering how badly he took the Impaler and Killswitch, the strong style forearm brawl was the right call.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Coletti said:

Despite Rosa's sloppiness, I think Red Velvet has looked really damn good in the ring lately. Push her, dammit!

I agree..... Oh wait, you meant her wrestling? Yeah, that too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Staging talk segments is something Team Mansury could really tighten up on. Literally in some cases - see many multi person backstage promos with wide coverage (in front of those busy sets) and especially this week's (otherwise well done) Toni/Deonna sit down. Further, they knew what the opening segment was going to be, so why not get cameras on either side to make certain you see the person's face, in tonight’s case Hook, while they're speaking their business. Not so much a complaint as a hope for awareness and gradual improvement.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

AM ET. We are so back.

This put a fucking massive smile on my face - mans didn't forget his roots!

11 hours ago, Greggulator said:

The Toni Storm segment was wrestling ridiculousness at its absolute best. 

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This was all I saw that I liked tonight.

I loved this segment too, to the point where I was getting a little pissed off at the crowd for not being engaged enough in it. Like, actively wondering "Why are you not laughing, assholes?!?" I think it speaks volumes about Toni's talent that on a show with Suzuki vs Edge, the biggest takeaway besides that match for me was "Tuh-too." Tell you what though, as psyched as I am for Toni/Deonna, I'm even more stoked for the eventual Deonna/Serena bout - that thing is gonna be insane

• Like 4

The Tijuana Bomb is a horrible finisher.  Wasn't she doing a Thunder Fire Power Bomb before her time away?  I understand maybe wanting to do something different after returning, but that ain't it.  How many moves in wrestling start off as a set up for a cooler move, before transitioning into something lame?  I can only think of this and the Attitude Adjustment.  AND Rosa just hits it really poorly and it looks sloppy.  AND if she's recovering from back issues, a move where you hold another body out in front of you and then manhandle them, unassisted, into a totally different position, is a really bad idea.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Coletti said:

It's interesting as he's a respected vet with legit credentials that never seems to lose his aura, yet he comes to AEW pretty much solely to put other people over. I can't think of a huge amount of other folks who can consistently lose and still come off as a massive threat. 

See also: 
- Meng
- Barbarian, The

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The split screen segment with Toni and Deonna was great. I'm glad they're having someone finally point out that Toni is delusional and has a real past. As much as I love Timeless Toni, the gimmick can't last forever and eventually someone's going to have to hit her in the head and set her straight again. It shouldn't be Deonna because we're not near the expiration date yet, but it's good to lay the groundwork for that eventuality. Another possibility to extend the gimmick, though, would be to fully rip off Wandavision and have her go through a new decade of Hollywood each time she gets cracked.

The rest of the show was there. Cope/Minoru was a fun old guy slugfest and everything else was basically a 2024-inflated version of Worldwide. The "competitiveness" of each match was greater, but the results were never in question.

• Like 2

Missed the Rosa match but if that Tijuana Bomb looked as bad as the last match then she is bound to injure someone. 

If Jeff is moving better than Matt then Matt must look REAL bad nowadays. Jeff must've expended all his energy and goodwill with the Darby match because that was crapulous. His work was about as listless as how he did the "delete" motion on the way to the ring. 

Crowd sucked too... really this one was a bummer. Darby cut a good promo though. 

45 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I appreciate Deonna to no end for using the words "title shot" and "belt."  Motherfucking Samoa Joe said "opportunity" at least three times and that sucked.

Ha I caught that too, as well as two mentions of "AEW Superstars" - my man is in desperate need of deprogramming

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

The Tijuana Bomb is a horrible finisher.  Wasn't she doing a Thunder Fire Power Bomb before her time away?  I understand maybe wanting to do something different after returning, but that ain't it.  How many moves in wrestling start off as a set up for a cooler move, before transitioning into something lame?  I can only think of this and the Attitude Adjustment.

I recall somebody or other doing a move where they set you up for a tombstone, then drop you flat on your back. Or something like that.

Not a very informative post, now that I look at it. But what the hey, I'm hitting "Submit" anyway.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I recall somebody or other doing a move where they set you up for a tombstone, then drop you flat on your back. Or something like that.

Not a very informative post, now that I look at it. But what the hey, I'm hitting "Submit" anyway.

The tombstone lungblower?  Yeah, pretty awful. 

Fun show. It feels to me like AEW is learning from some of their promotional mistakes. I love line-ups. I love knowing what to look forward to. Especially as a ticket buyer. The Hook/Joe confrontation was fair in execution, but Grrreat as a sign that their learning to follow shit up. But, uh, can we add Security guard beatdowns to the overused, sleepy AEW tropes list. Penta v Hanger was solid business. I love seeing the Cowboy on the show on the reg. I thought the OC promo was suggesting another Battle Royal. I'll take a shitty Fatal 4 way over an even shittier Battle Royal. Bucks promo was on point. I didn't think I had another MGMT heel in me, but here is Matthew and Nicholas to change my mind! Wardlow v Barretta was fine, not great, but Wardlow wrestling matches as opposed to squashes is a great sign. About fucking time. Purrazzo-Storm promo was excellent. I do hope Toni starts being positioned as the babyface. Deonna is a great heel, and Toni is loved by the crowd. Johnny TV/Taya promo was good too. And one of a couple extremely positive signs that they're ready to embrace promoting future matches/cards. Hardy v Swerve finished up fine. I'm not gonna pile on Jeff, I think he's an incredbile performer, incredible connection to the crowd, but he looks like he's in fucking pain. Especially considering his history, it feels like there's a risk for both AEW and Jeff right now that seems way too goddamn high. Rosa v Velvet screamed for Rosa to ROH and lots of reps. Velvet's leaning more into the 'tude and it's good. Full on heel would be even better. Sting/Darby promo was good. Darby was excellent. Savannah was not. I slept on the trios match. Two Six Man Tag Team Champions in one stable is very AEW. And a bright shiny example of the old adage 'There are far too many fucking title belts'. That White/Asses entrance and music is fun. Suzuki v Copeland was tremendous fun. I was not a fan of what I saw of WWEdge2022 (what a fucking drip!?), but AEWAdamCopeland has been nothing but fun. Fun promo post match. He's rolling with the punches on the mic, and it's so much better. So many positive signs throughout this show of a company working towards being the best they can possibly be.  

• Like 2

Speaking of the two Six-man Championships - how exactly did the Mogul Embassy go from losing the farm league titles to challenging for the big league titles so quickly? Did they even win any matches in between?