DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/3 - 1/9/2024 - The Show Must Joe On

4 hours ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

I hadn't seen Mariah May, but I saw that match and there's a lot I'm not seeing about Mariah May it seems. Stardom fans seem to think she's pretty good, so we'll see but she definitely should not use the fireman's carry driver for very long - Aminata looked like a bit of a goof jobbing to that. I think she used the Pedigree before right? She should just use that.

Mariah was fine in the ring from what i have caught of her Stardom run so far. Her strength is more in her ability to be a character. She used the tombstone as a finisher during her Stardom run. Not sure why she switched to something else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Crowd noise was very weird during Anna vs Shida.

It was so clearly piped in for Shida’s comeback and then notably back to the subdued live crowd at the finish. 

Live crowd was clearly pissed at the botch with Shida not kicking out on time. Shida was heavily pushed last year and she's alright, but not someone crowds are dying for more of. People were ready for Anna to win there and then that happened.

• Like 2

We started off tonight with someone with an A... E... W... tattoo... (life decisions, people) and the appearance of Sting, Darby, and the UPHOLSTERY MAN~!

Spoiler

🎶 Upholstery Man 
Upholstery Man
Building love seats and Beyans
Spins a thread 
Any size
Covers frames 
For the buys
Look out
HERE COMES UPHOLSTERY MAAAAAAAAN 
🎶

*ahem*

So Workhorsemen get to redo the rebound-off-the-ropes lariat spot and look good in defeat. 

The sneaky thing about Eddie vs. Trent? is that they worked it like Eddie vs. Eddie. Same kind of dependence on strikes and bombs, same kind of grit-it-out fighting spirit, Trent even got a "legit"/legit looking injury to activate selling. (Whether it was hardway or he bladed the bridge of his nose I'm unsure but it was definitely planned.) Neat little idea for a match and a nice way to make a face vs. face one work. The final Northern Lights Bomb was EVIL. 

Audio was shredded all night, like everything was doubling somehow in the mix. At this point can we just call it a curse?

There were like three competitive squashes tonight; the best was probably the tag between Kingdom and Keith/Komander, which was technically a proving ground match. Griff Garrison coming out was whatever. I rewatched it three or four times to see just what went wrong and it looks like both Everett AND Claudio flubbed the uppercut into the 450. Either Everett was out of position or Claudio just didn't throw? It's weird. Everett is probably gonna be kicking himself all night with Claudio saying "hey man, shit happens out there sometimes". Kiera vs. Skye was totally heatless until they came back from break; I dunno what happened, but they got the crowd into it. Could have used more heat, sadly. 

The main was really good but I bet the FITE feed is way way better. Those commercials were just kicking it in the nuts whenever they were building up. I also expected blood from this due to the family issue but I guess because they were actually there it would be in poor taste. From the look on her face you can tell the kid is smart to the business. Anyway, good match with some neat twists and a nice wrecking at the end (plus Danny wore Brody's tired ol' ass out with that chair). Julia did a ten-count with the bell that sounded like a slow moving boat coming into harbor. 

Oh, and Serena looked like somebody put Tina Fey in a straightjacket. 

• Like 2

So, weird confession time. 

I think I like Adam Copeland in AEW. Like, I like his as a wrestler. And it feels weird to me. I thought his little match with Griff was pretty fun, and it felt like he did a good job giving Griff something when he had nothing coming in. It was a fun little showcase for him, and it felt like our first real time seeing Edge work a random guy in a promotion that isn't so.... plastic. And I think I like him in this setting. Makes me wonder if he always had an extra gear in him but he did what he thought he needed too in that setting instead.

• Like 2

Kingston/Trent was a badass match, looked like an epic battle with Trent's blood staining the mat from the potential broken nose. Great stuff.

Man I so wanted Bryan Keith & Komander to go the time limit, they looked awesome there for a bit and were less than 2 minutes from it. Would've made something out of a proving ground match at least.

the Cope Open was fun.  I liked Skye vs Kiera, two of my favorites and nice usage of clips from them teaming in ROH to add a little more story to it.

Main event ruled, excellent finishing stretch. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

So, weird confession time. 

I think I like Adam Copeland in AEW. Like, I like his as a wrestler. And it feels weird to me. I thought his little match with Griff was pretty fun, and it felt like he did a good job giving Griff something when he had nothing coming in. It was a fun little showcase for him, and it felt like our first real time seeing Edge work a random guy in a promotion that isn't so.... plastic. And I think I like him in this setting. Makes me wonder if he always had an extra gear in him but he did what he thought he needed too in that setting instead.

It’s probably the CM Punk situation where he’s finally getting to (mostly) call his own shots on creative and who he works against and is actually having fun with it for the first time in a very long time. I think the only difference is that there was such a huge gap in-between when Punk left WWE and debuted in AEW that it’s a little harder to compare matches and segments, whereas with Copeland it’s pretty easy since his WWE run was so recent. He’s talked about it already too, in numerous places, where he wanted to wrestle more but WWE wasn’t interested. So the desire is clearly there, and he knows his career won’t last too much longer.

That said - I didn’t enjoy the Christian feud, so maybe this is the start of something better. But, boy, I can smell that Hardys/E&C match coming from a mile away. TK won’t be able to help himself.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

It’s probably the CM Punk situation where he’s finally getting to (mostly) call his own shots on creative and who he works against and is actually having fun with it for the first time in a very long time. I think the only difference is that there was such a huge gap in-between when Punk left WWE and debuted in AEW that it’s a little harder to compare matches and segments, whereas with Copeland it’s pretty easy since his WWE run was so recent. He’s talked about it already too, in numerous places, where he wanted to wrestle more but WWE wasn’t interested. So the desire is clearly there, and he knows his career won’t last too much longer.

That said - I didn’t enjoy the Christian feud, so maybe this is the start of something better. But, boy, I can smell that Hardys/E&C match coming from a mile away. TK won’t be able to help himself.

If we don't get E&C vs. the Hardys in a Hardy Compound match, we have failed as a species.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I liked Skye vs Kiera, two of my favorites and nice usage of clips from them teaming in ROH to add a little more story to it.

The clips and emphasis on their pasts as partners actually made me think this was leading to something like an actual program between them. 

• Like 2

Man, I also like this Copeland run in AEW. That was my thought as well, that he finally has the freedom to work instead of  just playing the hits that road agents lay out for every match.

The tag match main event ruled and I’m loving this run for DG. HoB are so good they had FTR’s hometown crowd chanting for them after the match. I would say that TK needs to get HoB time on Dynamite, but I have a feeling that Black and Vega probably spend Tuesdays and Wednesdays or Wednesdays and Thursdays together and Black is content to only work Collision since Vega is doing house shows on that day. Again, just guessing, but given how much importance Black puts on work/life balance, it feels like this is the case. And that sucks. I think without Dynamite, he’s never going to get to that next level, but maybe he’s also content to let Brody be that guy.

@Curt McGirt no audio issues on the Fite feed, so I assume it’s a TNT problem.  Speaking of…man, watching this with no breaks or PnP is so much more enjoyable.

I was happy for Drake and Henry getting to work Sting and Flair.  For two Carolina guys, that had to be a highlight their careers.

I’m kinda psyched for HoB vs FTR and Garcia.  And it’s my weekly reminder that just about any trio is more interesting than the current trios champs.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

Workhorsemen had a good showing. It will be interesting to see if Sting and Darby can actually beat Takeshita & Hobbs?

I wonder if Copen Challenge will be a thing from now on?

Kiera Hogan and Skye Blue got quite a bit of time in a "let's see if we can get THIS trending on social media?"-match. I'm shocked if it didn't.

Claudio gets a showcase here and also Hangman on Dynamite! Oh holy shit, yes!

The main event took quite a while to get really going but by the ending stretch it was awesome! Oh yes, a trios match next! Don't mind if I do!

Oh yeah, and Eddie vs Trent Barretta was aces! Trent's biggest wins always seem to be the contenders' matches to get the title matches that he loses! Great effort, though!

HOOK going after Samoa Joe? OK, this is the first time it feels like he maybe bit off more than he can chew. Let's see how that goes for him?

Rampage thoughts:

Hardy heel turn in the works? OK, I'm listening.

That had to be the closest Anna Jay has come to beating Shida! I thought the sunset flip got three!

So Saraya makes Cameron flirt with both Angelo and Ruby. Bold strategy, Cotton!

Edited by Shartnado
Oh, there's more...
  • Like 2

Not that I’m like actively looking or anything, but I swear Skye Blue is begging for a wardrobe malfunction. Beautiful woman, but I don’t want to see her wind up being a meme or screengrab for weirdos. I think it’s the dad in me? It’s always this feeling of, look, I don’t care what you wear as long as it makes you feel good, just watch out for others who might take advantage of you.

• Haha 1

Thought it was an excellent Collision. Saw some people complaining that it felt like a Thunder where stars were facing non-stars or mid-carders or whatever, but all of the action was good and it all drove the story forward and there was a great main event. People are so used to these stacked Dynamites and that's really not what wrestling TV should be. There should be a balance. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Thought it was an excellent Collision. Saw some people complaining that it felt like a Thunder where stars were facing non-stars or mid-carders or whatever, but all of the action was good and it all drove the story forward and there was a great main event. People are so used to these stacked Dynamites and that's really not what wrestling TV should be. There should be a balance. 

People also forget Dynamite used to be the same mix of squashes/enhancement matches and bigger matches. Collision is basically closer to what Dynamite was in its first couple years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Not that I’m like actively looking or anything, but I swear Skye Blue is begging for a wardrobe malfunction. Beautiful woman, but I don’t want to see her wind up being a meme or screengrab for weirdos. I think it’s the dad in me? It’s always this feeling of, look, I don’t care what you wear as long as it makes you feel good, just watch out for others who might take advantage of you.

Yeah, if you see her trending on Twitter/X, don't click it.