DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies & TV - 2024

Clock is ticking and Ebon should be getting that bag while The Bear is still hot, good move for him.

Sucks that Vanessa has to do this, but she probably needs something like this to level up as a famous person. She should be making Adrian Lynn erotic thrillers, but culture is broken. 

No idea what Pedro is doing. 

Meh.  Pedro is WAY too old to be starting something like a potential franchise.  I mean, I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for 3 or 4 FF movies, but I want to see them done well if they have to get made, and c'mon, dude's going to be 50 by the time a movie comes out.  Are they trying to say that, because he's super-stretchy, all the collagen in his skin is shot and that's why he looks old and flabby in the face?  Yeesh.

I guess Ebon as Thing could work because all you're going to see are the eyes and he's basically Mesmero as a real boy anyway.  And he can act.  But it still feels like a little bit of a waste.  I almost would've rather seen him as Reed, but He's Not a Draw(TM) -- like Paul Rudd had captained a whole bunch of hundred-million-dollar blockbusters before Ant-Man.  Quinn could be great, but Johnny's the least important of the group anyway.  Hell, given modern storylines, it feels like even Franklin & Valeria would be a bigger deal.

Kirby could be awesome, but she's gonna look awfully young next to Guy Who Is in Every Show and Movie, and her flings with Namor are going to make a LOT more sense if MCU goes that direction.

Then again, doing a first FF storyline that's anything besides "Solve Everything" is a terrible idea, and I imagine they will fuck it up, like they've been doing.

Edited by Contentious C

Saw Madame Web last night.  Wasn't the best movie.  The thing that annoyed me the most was that a movie based in 2003 featured all mid 90s music, besides one fight scene and a random Beyoncé mural, after song from 1997 played in the background.  Like the early 2000s surely wasn't lacking in music.

10 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Meh.  Pedro is WAY too old to be starting something like a potential franchise.  I mean, I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for 3 or 4 FF movies, but I want to see them done well if they have to get made, and c'mon, dude's going to be 50 by the time a movie comes out. 

He’ll be the age that Ioan Gruffudd is right now. 

• Like 1

To be fair, all of the rumored choices for Reed were in their 40s.

Assuming the Adam Driver rumor was true, and the fact that Krasinksi was Reed in MoM, it’s pretty obviously an intentional casting choice to get someone older because it fits with the story they’re doing.

Besides, you have 60 year old Tom Cruise out here climbing ridiculously large towers in the Middle East and doing plane stunts midair, so it’s whatever really. Clearly they’re all feeding off the blood of children since I’m 33 and feel (and potentially look) older than I am.

Edited by Casey

Either that, or it is her intentionally shitting it up out of bottomless contempt for the film and everything involved in making it. Her performance doesn't account for any of the other actors who are just as awful. 

In any case, this is a big ol shitburger and will probably be MST3K'd relentlessly. 

It's not just this it's her whole ouevre.  She's been in enough movies that it feels like she should have at least improved by osmosis or something but she hasn't and I think that's neat.

• Haha 4

Holy shit, I didn’t know Adam Scott was in that, and I never would have guessed who he was playing. At least he’ll eventually be able to provide some insight to his buddies at How Did This Get Made. 

Some eagle-eyed viewers realized Madame Web reused B-unit footage from Spider-Man 2. This is going to be one of those movies where we keep finding out weird stuff about the production for years to come.

• Haha 3

Hey I liked Dakota Johnson in the Peanut Butter Falcon. 

I just finished the Hawkeye series and I think it's definitely my favorite of these D+ Marvel Series.  I came to the realization that the D+ series are a sort of a justification to have the streaming platform and quantity was more important than quality, but if you adjust your expectations, it's perfectly cromulent.  I also enjoyed She-Hulk. 

• Like 3

On 2/15/2024 at 11:07 PM, Casey said:

To be fair, all of the rumored choices for Reed were in their 40s.

Also, it's Reed Richards. He's been portrayed as a fairly mature dude since he debuted. And significantly older than Sue.

• Like 1

Venture Brothers probably ruined the Fantastic 4 for me. If I see that movie, I’ll just be expecting the flame dude to be screaming in pain every time he lights up.  

• Haha 1

IIRC, in old continuity, Reed was a boarder in the Storm household during college which so when they met. 

iimagine if Sony pulled a WBD and shelved this movie, denying us the pleasure of its awfulness. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure, given sliding Marvel time, if they’ve established the age gap in recent years. In the 60s, it likely wouldn’t have been seen as unusual to have the older man/younger woman pairing. 

a quick google search says it originally was around 10 years but may have been whittled down to around 6at some point.

Edited by odessasteps

I recently rewatched WandaVision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, Hawkeye and She-Hulk.

I honestly thought all 4 were pretty well done.    Winter Soldier is my favorite comic character of all time, so I'm biased when i say that one was my favorite, but i thought they did justice to every single character in each show, with Hawkeye easily being the most fun to watch.

• Like 3