DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, Dick Slater barely did anything in the ring was he was alive. I doubt he would put in much effort on the other side. In addition, Steve Borden has Jesus backing him up now. What do you think is keeping Darby Allin from disintegrating into dust? That ain't nothing but Jesus.

I was thinking acupuncture and stubbornness, but I think it's fair to credit an assist to divine intervention.

• Like 1

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

Dick Slater's ghost isn't gonna do anything that Terry Funk's ghost didn't do first

Technically, Slater died FIRST so there is that. 

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

If Kazuchika Okada joins WWE, thank God we got Kazuchika Okada vs. Bryan Danielson twice. That was my dream match for years and I never thought it was going to happen.

I think the source for that was a very questionable site because they also said he'd be going to NXT which I find doubtful - yeah, they did it with Balor, Nak, Joe etc. but things are different now than during that period.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I think the source for that was a very questionable site because they also said he'd be going to NXT which I find doubtful - yeah, they did it with Balor, Nak, Joe etc. but things are different now than during that period.

Yeah, they have way more top line talent on the main roster these days. I think if Okada went straight to Smackdown or Raw he'd be drowned in mid-card bullshit for at least a year while they get audiences familiar with him and play out things with Punk and Cody and the like, I don't know if that's preferable to being in NXT

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Yeah, they have way more top line talent on the main roster these days. I think if Okada went straight to Smackdown or Raw he'd be drowned in mid-card bullshit for at least a year while they get audiences familiar with him and play out things with Punk and Cody and the like, I don't know if that's preferable to being in NXT

That's fair, I haven't watched WWE regularly in ~4 years now so you would be more familiar with the current state of affairs -- in my mind, I'm thinking why the hell would you waste Okada on working some D3 O lineman in warehouse?

• Like 1

NXT isn't just a development brand now though. 

They are trying it make it like a 3rd brand. They have had wrestlers from the main roster go there for a bit.

Okada might just be in NXT for a few months and then debut on the main roster after Wrestlemania.

Waste of his talent though.

I want to see Okada Vs Rollins, Okada Vs Reigns, Okada Vs CM Punk etc.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm thinking why the hell would you waste Okada on working some D3 O lineman in warehouse?

Is that worse than a heatless win over JD or Ivar in the middle of a 3 hour Raw? I'm not sure honestly. Sometimes a short stint in NXT is enough to get the hype on a wrestler even higher for the general public, big fish in a small pond and all

But I agree that Okada would be totally out of place in NXT, he'd look like a bad 21 Jump Street cop that can pass as a newby if you're half-blind but a closer look would show he's decades ahead of everyone else

• Like 1

I thought it worked out pretty well when they had Nakamura start in NXT.  When he was called up it's a different story but he was pretty king-sized over there.

• Like 1

When Owens, Nakamura, Joe, etv. were in NXT the brand was basically transitioning from a developmental into a super indy. NXT may have started hitting bigger buildings again for PLEs/PPVs, but they seem to have no interest in returning to what the Black and Gold era became. Okada wouldn't be hitting NXT if he was coming. He would be on the main roster.

Not sure why we are pretending Okada is coming to WWE at this point. WWE or anywhere else but AEW would be the more interesting option, but AEW is going to almost certainly give him more of what he wants than anywhere else. Okada isn't going anywhere else unless he is looking for some sort of challenge.

5 hours ago, Boydy said:

NXT isn't just a development brand now though. 

They are trying it make it like a 3rd brand. They have had wrestlers from the main roster go there for a bit.

Its more a developmental brand now than it was before sans the first couple of years. Its still technically a 3rd brand (always was realistically sans the competition show version), but they aren't pretending its Raw or Smackdown level in their eyes or the eyes of their audience.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Okada having to start in NXT would be pretty ironic, given the reporting that a  big reason why his last 6 months in NJPW tapered off was because he didn’t want to work with the young guys.

oh man, just read the tweet about how Onita got an invite to the 1994 Royal Rumble that he didn't take up

a missed opportunity to have Onita blow up the casket only for the Undertaker to appear on the screen and ascend to the sky

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EVA said:

Okada having to start in NXT would be pretty ironic, given the reporting that a  big reason why his last 6 months in NJPW tapered off was because he didn’t want to work with the young guys.

Fwiw, sending Okada to NXT for a few weeks to learn WWE timing and ring size wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  Especially if he gets to have a ****+ match with Ilja on his way up.  And maybe breakk Bron.  

Also, report is Kevin Patrick has been released by WWE. 

21 hours ago, Octopus said:

I can’t wait for Okada and Nakamura to become a tag team called The Surfer Dudes

What's the O/U on how long before they have him spitting mist?

Also, the only real reason for Okada to go WWE is the dream match with Big Match John...