DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

Just now, sabremike said:

"Now this might strike some DVDVR posters as harsh but I believe Nick Hausman should just die".

For whatever reason I read that in Norm Macdonald's voice and it's magnificent.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

With some talk of women's tag titles, I point out, once again, that there are a bunch of active or natural teams between AEW and ROH

• Mercedes/Diamante
  • Toni/Mariah
  • Athena/Billie
  • Renegade Twins
  • Leyla Hirsch/Rachel Ellering
  • Julia/Skye
  • Tay/Jay
  • Statlander/Willow
  • Nyla/Marina

That's nine right there with Saraya/Ruby more or less dissolved. And it's not like you couldn't team Lady Frost and Serena Deeb or Keira Hogan and Red Velvet or Shida and whoever. I'm still baffled they went with a second singles title instead of a tag title in ROH unless Khan wanted the tag titles to be AEW and not ROH.

• Like 10

Even better, you have a reason to have another tournament, which is something AEW appears to be really good at booking.  If they put the extra effort into weaving storylines throughout the tournament like they did with the Continental Classic, they'll have lots of future match-ups and more tangible, heated rivalries that fans will actually be excited for.  

Besides all that, and probably the most important point, is that being in a tag team makes it so much easier for greener, less polished wrestlers to get more reps and screen time while hiding their weaknesses.  

I know some people will moan about another tournament and more titles, and I totally get it, but these particular titles would have significant upside if they are utilized to reconfigure and revamp their women's division.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Evil Otto said:

Even better, you have a reason to have another tournament, which is something AEW appears to be really good at booking.  If they put the extra effort into weaving storylines throughout the tournament like they did with the Continental Classic, they'll have lots of future match-ups and more tangible, heated rivalries that fans will actually be excited for.  

Besides all that, and probably the most important point, is that being in a tag team makes it so much easier for greener, less polished wrestlers to get more reps and screen time while hiding their weaknesses.  

I know some people will moan about another tournament and more titles, and I totally get it, but these particular titles would have significant upside if they are utilized to reconfigure and revamp their women's division.  

I've been calling for women's tag titles for a bit now (and God help me if Nyla/Marina are not the inaugural champions!) but that said, I'm an unabashed 'moar titles moaner' as well. I think the best move would be to hold off until whatever happens with the TV deal happens, this way if it becomes necessary to fold the TBS title into the women's WHC, you have the tag belts waiting in the wings.

I also get the sense that if women's tag titles were introduced in AEW, that we would also get a set in ROH. Terrible idea, but it seems like TK really values having analogous titles (that's the only reason I can think of for introducing a women's TV title for a promotion that doesn't have TV)

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

For whatever reason I read that in Norm Macdonald's voice and it's magnificent.

"And which DVDVR poster thinks Nick Hausman should die? You guessed it.. Frank Stallone."

• Haha 15

3 minutes ago, Peck said:

"And which DVDVR poster thinks Nick Hausman should die? You guessed it.. Frank Stallone."

Pitfall of dating a younger woman: I made a "Murder is now legal in the state of Texas" joke during Hangman/Swerve at the last PPV to a confused look 😞

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, tbarrie said:

The thing of it is, he didn't even bring it up, assuming the quote somebody posted earlier in the thread is accurate. He merely said Jericho had done bad things, then used Harvey Weinstein as an example of what happens when your bad deeds come to light. He neither said nor logically implied that Jericho's specific misdeeds were in any way similar to Weinstein's.

Nah, man.  As already mentioned, you can't take both of those statements (Jericho doing bad things and then the Weinstein statement) in a vacuum.  Dude knew what he was doing.   This is exactly like a headline I saw yesterday, something like, "Ortiz details difficulties in relationship with Santana, says title runs were nixed twice."  The reader's assumption is, "oh holy shit, Santana is a prick and his prickishness lead to AEW stopping two proposed PnP title wins!"  Turns out, reading the actual interview, that both statements were separate.  1) Santana and him have problems and 2) there were a few times they could have been booked to win the belts but it just didn't work out.  But these "journalists" know what they're doing, know many don't read past the headline, and they just conflate this shit for ragebait.

Also, I call bullshit on Nick Hausman standing up for Steele's wife.  It's not like there's a wrestler who has his hand firmly up Hausman's puppet ass who is closer to Steele, right?

I never even heard of Hausman before Brawl Out.  Can we go back to those simpler times?  It's insane to me that some 5th tier "wrestling journalist" gets this much attention just being a transparent mouthpiece for Phil.  The absolute state of this shit today.  Wrestling journalism was never amazing but this is the Fox Newsification of wrestling news.  Just lies and propaganda lovingly eaten up by a willing audience of morons.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

To be fair, wrestling journalism isn’t much worse than legit journalism in current times. 

said as a non-practicing journalist.  

You know, I meant that in the last sentence of my first paragraph but I missed the mark.  I meant pretty much all journalism today.  Somewhere along the line, news organizations firmly switched over to infotainment, clickbait, rage bait, human interest stories, etc, and never looked back.  

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

You know, I meant that in the last sentence of my first paragraph but I missed the mark.  I meant pretty much all journalism today.  Somewhere along the line, news organizations firmly switched over to infotainment, clickbait, rage bait, human interest stories, etc, and never looked back.  

While you're definitely correct about all of this, I think there was a social media phenomenon in play here, too (not unlike the wider, real-world). So many people seemed to *want* it to be true (just to shit on Jericho for various reasons) without even considering "Oh yeah, that would mean a woman was traumatized." Shit was gross as hell. Adding to the social media point: even when confronted with evidence to the contrary (Hausman's walk-back, a post from KR very specifically saying 'Ignore rumors, no one made me leave,' the woman on Twitter who got the like saying outright 'Emotions were high and I shouldn't have posted that.') They'll hand-wave it away!! Forgive the comparison given who we're talking about, but I feel like: motherfucker, 50,000 people just SHOWED you that there's no basement in that pizzeria...

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Don’t forget listicles.

This shit kills me, man.  I completely stopped watching my local TV news because it got so banal.  I was a Mass Comm major in the 90s and they taught us about straight up journalism, but I wonder if things were already sliding and they were just blue-skying us.  Damn, I wonder how journalism classes are today.  Probably whole seminars dedicated to writing headlines that get the most hits.  Kill me now.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I never even heard of Hausman before Brawl Out.

Okay. I hadn't heard of him before this thread. If your prior knowledge of him leads you to conclude that it's unlikely this was simple stupidity on his part, I'll accept that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Damn, I wonder how journalism classes are today.  Probably whole seminars dedicated to writing headlines that get the most hits.  

Nah. I took journalism classes a few years ago, and the professors bemoaned the same trends everyone does.

There's bad jouranalism out there (there always has been), but there's also still plenty of good, too. 

• Like 2

I don’t know how you could post in as many wrestling threads as you do and not have heard of him. He’s the dork that Punk first calls out during the scrum and says to Hausmann, “you’re the guy that’s friends with Colt?” And Hausmann stammers and is just like, “uh well um we worked on a project together but uh I wouldn’t say we’re friends.” And from that moment he’s been Punk’s RASSLINOPINIONZ4U mouthpiece.

• Thanks 1

I actually had no idea who he (Hausman) was until this weekend. I was just googling the AEW card going into World's End. All I got were headlines about "ALLEGATIONS".

Then I watched a bunch of people determine a terrible story invented by internet sleuths was real, based on something they read on Twitter. This is crazy to me, but so common place.

And it happens here too. It's baffling that folks just stop in to drop a twitter post they think is interesting without context, or even research if its true. Like we're already smelling each other's farts in here, no need to bring outside farts into the room.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Dog said:

Nah. I took journalism classes a few years ago, and the professors bemoaned the same trends everyone does.

There's bad jouranalism out there (there always has been), but there's also still plenty of good, too. 

Yeah, most of the shit people hate about modern journalism is the fault of the hedge fund chuds that own every outlet now, not the reporters themselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I mean , when Dave and Wade are the “ceiling” for wrestling journalism, …. 

although to be fair, ive not read an issue of the Torch since maybe 1995. 

Well, that's also believing that people thought there would be a space for journalism in wrestling in the first place. So I don't think that's necessarily on Wade Keller or Dave Meltzer in the same way I don't think it's on Ariel Helwani, John Morgan, and Brett Okamoto that MMA journalism is usually terrible. They just happen to be most famous or synonymous people in that space. Boxing journalism up until fairly recently when social media got involved was well respected cause it was one of the three biggest sports in the country for over half a century. So you not only had great boxing writers who only covered boxing, but you had other great writers from all over writing about boxing. It was influential enough were that writing has carried on even though it's mostly confined to websites for hardcore boxing fans. Yeah, I don't think wrestling even though it's been around as long has had that level of respect. When you did get actual real reporting, it hasn't had long enough to mature into anything really. Nat Fleischer has been dead since 1972. Even though there were people before Wade and Dave, those two are STILL around. So yeah.

6 hours ago, Peck said:

And this time, it's almost ironic, since you would have to think that Frank Stallone would more about "Stayin' Alive"!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I don’t know how you could post in as many wrestling threads as you do and not have heard of him.

<shrug> It's entirely possible I've scrolled past his name any number of times, but it didn't register.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

He’s the dork that Punk first calls out during the scrum and says to Hausmann, “you’re the guy that’s friends with Colt?” And Hausmann stammers and is just like, “uh well um we worked on a project together but uh I wouldn’t say we’re friends.” 

Sorry, but the reference means nothing to me. I've never watched or listened to a scrum. I'm honestly not 100% convinced that "scrum" is even a word.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Yeah, most of the shit people hate is the fault of the hedge fund chuds

I usually HATE these kinda posts but couldn't resist since these same assholes are now my corporate overlords, too  - "FTFY"

• Like 2