DVDVR Message Board

WORLDS END - 12/30/2023

Dolfan in NYC

28 minutes ago, The Natural said:

One of the weaker AEW PPVs, right?

I really liked the show. I will say that AEW has a very high bar. A few stinkers I do t remember off the top of my head. If we listed them off this could be bottom middle, but only do to the competition of  mostly great AEW PPVs.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I might be a high voter on this show. I had an absolute blast! 

It might be that I was comfortably seated in recliner and well plied with libations as I watched on the giant screen but I had a really good time!

Loved the opening Lady Hoss battle, first 8 man was exactly how I liked those matches to go, I'm reading Queen of the Ring so Timeless Toni going Mildred Burke in attire and boots was fun surprised that the TBS title went on second but glad Abadon got a big PPV match. And great storytelling in the main event. Eddie and MOX going all MMA was neat

And how about that bastard TRT Edge? Beats up Nick Wayne's Dad, Step Dad and then attempts to throw him through the flaming table?

Seriously fun match. I think Adam Copeland is underrated cause until now hes spent his entire career in The E, violence seemed to burn the crowd out for a bit same as last PPV.

At least the Devil reveal made since even if I don't care for Cole or Roddy 

I think I picked right in going to this over the WWE house show with Punk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is probably the first time I’ve come away from an AEW show not fully satisfied with the amount I paid. Or at least the first time in a very long time, anyway.

Not much from this show was great, to me. Kingston/Mox, the C2 eight man tag and Joe winning the title were the only bright spots I can remember.

Copeland in AEW has been a huge wet fart. I just don’t really care. Christian is great but the Killswitch/Nick Wayne stuff is gonna get old pretty fast soon.

All of the women’s matches did nothing for me. Abadon is cool as fuck, but I wouldn’t say she’s a great wrestler. Neither is Julia. Her moonsault is awesome but she always misses it. I don’t like Riho, and I love Toni’s gimmick but a lot of what I loved about her in-ring was lost with the gimmick switch. Kris/Willow just didn’t seem that great from what I caught, and the finishing stretch was uuuuugggglllyyy.

I loved the other 8 man tag for all the wrong reasons 😂

Miro & Andrade should both just go back to WWE if that’s what they want. Fuck it.

• Like 4

Surely using a hockey stick to win the FTW championship should have resulted in a Hooking penalty.

They should bring in either Hurricane Helms or Tyler Breeze to team with Cody's big brother: 

Dustin the Wind

(Seriously, though, I will never complain about an unexpected Dustin match).

Hey Abadon! What kind of witch is Julia Hart?

A sand witch! *bites her"

Post-match: Well, Abadon, you lost to Julia Hart. You bitter?

Yep! Once on each arm and then on the forehead.

Seriously, though: LOVED the "This is spooky!" chant.

I kind of wonder if CJ Perry will be able to go back to the "I am pretending not to like my husband so I can cost you this match with zero actual stakes" well again.

That was a perfectly booked tournament and the final was really great.

Word is Tony K felt it was a huge success and wants to do more stuff like that in AEW 😀

BUT word is also that he feels the same way about the Devil storyline.

Joe as AEW champ could be pretty great 

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

The undercard was honestly pretty strange and full of a lot of whatever. I don't understand why you have a six man title and then have a bunch of rando 8 man matches on PPV.

My unapologetic endgame wet dream here is now Eddie Kingston vs Samoa Joe at some point but let's let that simmer for a while.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

Surely using a hockey stick to win the FTW championship should have resulted in a Hooking penalty.

Hey Abadon! What kind of witch is Julia Hart?

A sand witch! *bites her"

Post-match: Well, Abadon, you lost to Julia Hart. You bitter?

Yep! Once on each arm and then on the forehead.

DAMNIT, GORDI THE FORMER AEW FAN!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

Word is Tony K felt it was a huge success and wants to do more stuff like that in AEW 😀

BUT word is also that he feels the same way about the Devil storyline.

Everything is always great. They’re always on their best run of shows ever. They always have a great relationship with the network. The ratings are great, both Nielsen and Cagematch. There are no mistakes. What is Tony’s greatest weakness? He works too hard. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Just wanted to note, as a fan of both Willow and Stat, I think this is a crazy opinion. They botched like half the match. I can't remember a AEW match that went as poorly as that one did.

I guess I forgot about the botches because they worked through them and the match was at least interesting.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Casey said:

All of the women’s matches did nothing for me. Abadon is cool as fuck, but I wouldn’t say she’s a great wrestler. Neither is Julia. Her moonsault is awesome but she always misses it. I don’t like Riho, and I love Toni’s gimmick but a lot of what I loved about her in-ring was lost with the gimmick switch. Kris/Willow just didn’t seem that great from what I caught, and the finishing stretch was uuuuugggglllyyy.

Other then the opener which may be hazy drunk memory, and I don’t think Abadon is cool as fuck (or even interesting), I agree with all of this. Which is weird because they had been doing pretty well match-wise recently. Also the live crowd (who admittedly weren’t great) didn’t care about Abadon nearly as much as online wrestling nerds.

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Everything is always great. They’re always on their best run of shows ever. They always have a great relationship with the network. The ratings are great, both Nielsen and Cagematch. There are no mistakes. What is Tony’s greatest weakness? He works too hard. 

But the Continental Classic was great! Is anyone disputing that?

• Like 2

Oh God. Toni Storm gave Tony Khan a ridiculous hat and sunglasses. He kept it on. Then got a question about harassment allegations and proceeded to answer the question very seriously while looking like a total goof. Lol
003-DA934-011-C-4-E9-B-B5-A0-C332991309-
osted same time as @Greggulator. Toni was wearing it. No reason other than being silly. 
and yes, cocaine 

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Happy for Abadon that they are finally getting some air time, but they weren't ready for this PPV title slot. Abadon and Julia both botched that finish with the Moonsault. But in their defense, Charlotte Flair is 37 and still botches Moonsaults a lot. 

The Continental Classic eight-man tag was fine as an opener. It was the guys who didn't win from the opposing leagues. 

But that Keith Lee/Swerve Strickland match was so slapped together. They totally abandoned that feud a year ago and would never book their matchup. Now they suddenly decide to book it now, then Keith Lee is apparently injured and has apparently been injured over a year or some such. That Dustin Rhodes/Swerve match didn't need to go nearly that long, and Dustin got in way too much offense. 

The other eight-man tag stunk up the joint. Everyone looked awful other than Darby bumping like a madman for everyone. Frankly, I'm glad Sting is retiring soon because all he can do is walk and brawl at this point. Once again, letting Jericho go out on TV tonight was a bad move. The matchup made no sense, and it was just slapped together bullshit. Sammy turned face again and the fans still rejected. He's having more heel/face turns Paul Wight at this point.

Copeland/Christian was a fun hardcore brawl, but the finish was terrible. They literally slapped together a title shot battle royal for the TNT title tonight just to do a contrived Dusty finish for Copeland and Christian to undo the title change. So they introduce a title shot that can be cashed in and used like a Money in the Bank briefcase, but the Killswitch just hands it over to Christian like that's something that's even allowed. Yeah, all that was dumbass contrived garbage to me.

I don't think it should've been the final, but Kingston/Mox was easily match of the night and the highlight tonight. My issue is, what do they do with this triple crown title? What happens to the ROH World title and the Continental title now? They have too many belts. ROH has no identity, and their roster are all guys who signed with AEW. It's diluted the AEW product.

I didn't love how the main event went, but it went about as well as it can go. I thought the outcome with Adam Cole as the Devil and who his minions were was predictable, but it wasn't the worst possible outcome, so there's that. And with this MJF can take time off and recharge, or who knows, maybe he's leaving. If that's the case, Joe is a good serious monster heel they can have carry the belt for the time being. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Oh God. Toni Storm gave Tony Khan a ridiculous hat and sunglasses. He kept it on. Then got a question about harassment allegations and proceeded to answer the question very seriously while looking like a total goof. Lol
osted same time as @Greggulator. Toni was wearing it. No reason other than being silly. 
and yes, cocaine 

Not going to lie. As an unabashed fan of rich guys obliviously doing stupid things, this might be my favourite moment in AEW history.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

People ranting about the Dusty Finish are really annoying me. The reason it was so disastrous for JCP is that it was done on every singleshow, if it's done sparingly it works (which IMO it did here, although technically this wasn't actually a Dusty Finish as that's the referee reversing the decision).

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Octopus said:

and yes, cocaine 

Bob Dylan gimmick?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Octopus said:

and yes, cocaine 

excited to find out how this new Sacha Baron Cohen character works out

• Haha 2