DVDVR Message Board

WORLDS END - 12/30/2023

Dolfan in NYC

(Tony Khan on The Devil)

Spoiler

"It feels like we’re getting close to that point. I do expect some big revelations and big moments at Worlds End. It’s its own idea, and it’s something that I’m excited about. I do feel like it’s coming close to the culmination and it does feel like the secrets will be revealed at Worlds End, and I’m looking forward to it. It’s been very different than the other aspects of AEW. One aspect of it has been really interesting and it’s been something to keep people hooked and those people that want to see that kind of episodic story is really something that has a lot of people talking and built a lot of interest for Worlds End is the identity of the Devil.”

Edited by The Green Meanie

The way Tony describes this feels so wrong not just because of lack of interest but also how he's talking about episodic TV.  I know they were thrown a curveball or two but I can't wait for this to end so it can hopefully move to stuff that's more meaningful.  But I do appreciate his excitement and trying his damndest to make it sound good.  Also, I'm in the "MJF is gonna lose in LI" camp because for this Devil stuff to mean something I feel it has to culminate with whatever happening leading to the title loss.

As for the show itself I'm not as interested as I hoped to be but so far it's a one-match show with Mox/Kingston.  I'm sure it'll deliver but a PPV on 12/30 doesn't appeal that much to me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Love this idea but wish they had gone straight blue vs gold so we could get some fun face/heel teammate interactions.

I think having Garcia with the BCC or even Mark after their recent ROH match is interesting. Plus you wonder how RUSH will interact with everyone.

I was thinking about FTR vs HOB and it just seems like the card will be too much with another match. I’d do Dax vs Black on the pre-show and a very long tag as the Collision main event.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steventon said:

How do you do the reveal and MJF losing in his hometown without your new world champ being the third most important guy in the picture?

Assuming Joe is only slated for a brief title run (which I think would be likely, as Joe is no spring chicken), then his being the third most important guy in the angle wouldn't be a disaster in my opinion.

• Like 4

Oh no…

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/maxwell-jacob-friedman-aew-wrestling

I’m probably wrong, maybe, hopefully, but reading this made me think one thing: TK is the Devil and he’s going to try and make Long Island the new Montreal with the storyline reason being that he couldn’t let MJF take the title into 2024 and potentially leave AEW while still being champion. No need to be forced into a bidding war of 2024 if MJF isn’t champion.

• Thanks 1

I think it’s pretty obvious that I’m one of the most pro-AEW people here, but TK as an on-screen, evil authority figure is probably the one thing* that would make me quit watching. 

*I mean, there’s not just one thing, but this would be near the top of the list. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Log said:

I think it’s pretty obvious that I’m one of the most pro-AEW people here, but TK as an on-screen, evil authority figure is probably the one thing* that would make me quit watching. 

*I mean, there’s not just one thing, but this would be near the top of the list. 

Watching TK white knuckle his way through a heel promo just zooted off Adderall would be pretty entertaining the first time but I imagine it would get old quick.

• Like 2

If they absolutely had to do heel TK, I’d pitch that the monitors hitting him in the head turned him evil. Do it as a short-term angle where he gets hit in the head with another monitor and becomes himself again. Then in a year they redo the devil angle where he’s being harassed by a dude dressed like this

Spoiler

IMG-7127.jpg

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My Heel Tony idea is for him to be dubbed "Evil Tony Khan" during the run

Alternate idea. Tony set up the Devil thing because he's mad at Adam Cole for getting injured and he wanted to ruin Adam's good name, therefore the actual devil will be somebody hired to impersonate Adam Cole.

we need a super-niche way to reveal the devil

like maybe the Acclaimed are computer whizzes who hacked into the system to reveal who's been sending the Devil videos

now, if they bring out a new Adam Cole who insists he's the real Adam Cole and the other guy is an impostor named Austin Jenkins

if there's any promotion that would do a worked "our people accidentally emailed the wrong person and revealed information" angle.. it would be Impact/TNA..

but AEW could pay tribute to when TNA accidentally emailed Mike Johnson instead of Mike Tenay by having someone email the devil only to accidentally email a person who shared a first name with the devil